2011 Boys' Kentucky All-Star Basketball Roster

Chane, Vinny, and Robbie look like genius now.

Don't be surprised to see players quit or something "came up" and don't play. These players are tight from AAU.

You know what is sad is there will be more people at Bellermine to see Teague than this Kentucky team.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't be serious?

Dead serious. Why not? It can't be anymore political or biased than the current process. I said an exclusive group not the entire board and I think you would be surprised with the knowledge of the game that a lot of members have. You'd probably be surprised at a lot of the actual members. Surely you don't think it is just fans, parents and former players on here do you? Plenty of media and coaches one here. Plenty.

A mature approach, PP92.

Every coach has a picture of the type of "team" he wants to put together. You can't simply put the 10 best players regardless of position on the team. In addition, if you plan on pressing your team is going to look different than if you're going to play a zone and pound it inside offensively.

You then have intangibles like attitude and hustle involved. I'll always defer to the coach to pick his team. I refuse to believe a coach is going in with the idea of losing the game therefore I suspect he's picking the boys that he THINKS will help the cause.

Thanks, Clyde. I am trying to act my age. It can be a struggle at times.

This is my line of thinking as well. I am not against questioning a coach or his decisions as I always like to ask the question why. I would definitely love to know how they built this team. Like you said, no coach builds a team thinking they will lose.

I said it in the other thread and I definitely would not want to be in charge of picking this team.

Don't be surprised to see players quit or something "came up" and don't play. These players are tight from AAU.

You know what is sad is there will be more people at Bellermine to see Teague than this Kentucky team.

First, I am going to see the Hickey/Teague match up and I hope to see Hickey out play him. Second, I am going to see Kentucky win.

I don't think Vinny would have made this team.

Maybe Gilbert had a better tryout than Smith. Gilbert was underrated all season long. He plays for any other team in the state he averages 15+.

Can't say anything about the tryout as I wasn't there. Can say that Kellen is a much much better player than Gilbert and I don't think you will get an arguement in that outside of a homer. I don't understand the selection criteria but this may be a reflection why Indiana has dominated the series for so long. Some of the players left off the team clearly shows that the coaches didn't like certain aspects of their game because they did not select them by talent.

The anti-Mason County sentiment on the board is astounding. As is the notion that Mason County players are selected to all-star teams because of their hometown.

Heck, I might try to run for President of BGP. No telling how much pull I've got and don't even know it.:D

In all seriousness. The AP player selections are roundy criticized. As are the player selections made by the major newspapers. The All-star team selection is as well. Maybe that notion of BGP making the picks isn't so far off base. After all, we do seem to have a lot of experts.

The anti-Mason County sentiment on the board is astounding. As is the notion that Mason County players are selected to all-star teams because of their hometown.

Heck, I might try to run for President of BGP. No telling how much pull I've got and don't even know it.:D

It should come as no shock that what was (and maybe still is) the most dominant faction on this board sees some blowback from posters who are not fans of that team.

That said, I don't see anyone singling out Setty, unless I've overlooked it. Unless you're a Mason County fan, you're going to find the choice of Gilbert questionable. That quite a few more decorated players are absent is not going to go unnoticed.

^ I don't disagree with some of your points.

I'd say that NKY is by FAR the dominant faction on this board. Maybe they're claiming Mason County these days, but that would be new.

I think westsider nailed it in post 25, clyde in 29. Sometimes decorations count for much less than how an individual fits into a coaching staff's team concept.

I guess I'm speaking more to a single team following, rather than an entire region.

And that probably is what it was, that for whatever reason Gilbert fits in with their concept. But I don't think it's unreasonable that people would question it either. I'd be surprised to know what specifically Gilbert brings that Shanklin couldn't.

I guess I'm speaking more to a single team following, rather than an entire region.

And that probably is what it was, that for whatever reason Gilbert fits in with their concept. But I don't think it's unreasonable that people would question it either. I'd be surprised to know what specifically Gilbert brings that Shanklin couldn't.

I'd say that's entirely fair. Without being a fly on the wall, I guess we will have to rely on the coaching staff coming out and explaining the process.

And I still question those that say these decisions are made strictly on the basis of hometown or "politics". I don't think it was you that made those comments.:thumb: