2011 Boys' Kentucky All-Star Basketball Roster

Don't be surprised if Hickey outplays Teague, i'm here in Indianapolis and I'm not seeing where all his hype comes from! He is fast but he is not great!

Mook is my guy. Great kid, but there is one glaring weakness that gets overlooked and just might be very telling soon. He has played on some very talented high school and AAU teams over the last 3 years, and as the PG and floor leader he has never won a major state or AAU tournament. That includes the extra observation that he has frequently not even had his team in position to be a threat. Just something I have noticed as a trend over his career...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all of the players that made the team. I am just wondering how KY's best 12 players come from only 7 schools? That just sounds odd to me. I know some didn't try out and they are wanting some type of "TEAM" but this is an all star game. Put the best 5 players in their respective positions and let's compete!!

Who are the coaches?Outside of Flynn at Highlands and the Cov Cath coach are there any good oaches left in the state?

I know two of the coaches are Glen Drury and Jason Booher. Can't remember the 3rd coach.

Here are the coaches:

Head coach: Glen Drury (Anderson County). Assistant coaches: Jason Booher (Holmes), Allen Feldhaus Jr. (Madison Central)

I believe the Miami Heat have proven that the most talented team does not always win in basketball. My guess is the coaches picked what they feel will be the best "team" to compete to win versus Indiana. As far as Gilbert, he is a fiesty little player, that wil probably back up Hickey, play 5-6 minutes tops. And he'll be happy and a productive member of the team for the entire week of practice. Will the so called "other D I players" have that same attitude. Judging by the decision, somebody must have thought No. As far as the comments about Indiana dominating the series, look at the talent level in Indiana vs Kentucky. IT doesn't take a genius to figure out. How many players from Indiana have gone on to the NBA and how many from Ky. That's why they domiate. TALENT!!! I think this KY team will compete and have a shot against another very talented Indiana team.

Miami is not the most talented team top to bottom. Not even close; yet they are still one of the favorites to win it all mainly due to their top 3. (comment from another post) Not taking anything away from Hickey, but Teague is in a different stratosphere from a talent perspective. Don't be fooled when you see talented HS kids playing easy during HS games, most do not understand how to play the entire game at their highest level and so a great colllege coach teaches that. Indiana didn't find it necessary to bring role players to their team and I'm afraid we are going to see why. Give me the best talent and I will take a chance that I can mold them into a coehisive unit in a very short period of time. If our coaches can't do that then we may need to start their and get coaches that have that ability.

A mature approach, PP92.

Every coach has a picture of the type of "team" he wants to put together. You can't simply put the 10 best players regardless of position on the team. In addition, if you plan on pressing your team is going to look different than if you're going to play a zone and pound it inside offensively.

You then have intangibles like attitude and hustle involved. I'll always defer to the coach to pick his team. I refuse to believe a coach is going in with the idea of losing the game therefore I suspect he's picking the boys that he THINKS will help the cause.

Good point, how do you see the coaches strategy of playing the game with the players selected? Anyone with how they see who will be the starters?

Miami is not the most talented team top to bottom. Not even close; yet they are still one of the favorites to win it all mainly due to their top 3. (comment from another post) Not taking anything away from Hickey, but Teague is in a different stratosphere from a talent perspective. Don't be fooled when you see talented HS kids playing easy during HS games, most do not understand how to play the entire game at their highest level and so a great colllege coach teaches that. Indiana didn't find it necessary to bring role players to their team and I'm afraid we are going to see why. Give me the best talent and I will take a chance that I can mold them into a coehisive unit in a very short period of time. If our coaches can't do that then we may need to start their and get coaches that have that ability.

We'll see. I am not one to say Teague is on a different stratosphere than Hickey just because Teague is ranked highly as a point guard nationwide. Hickey is fast enough to keep up with him and Hickey is a proven winner. Hickey knows how to win. Teague has never won anything. Not even in AAU. He is just a highly decorated high school player. I am not going to act like Teague will destroy Hickey when the only weakness I have seen in Hickey's game is free throw shooting. I have yet to see Hickey fail in person and I don't expect to see him fail on June 10th. Am I biased? Yes, I am. I hope to see Hickey perform exceptionally well and show that once again a kid good enough to play at UK was passed on.

The anti-Mason County sentiment on the board is astounding. As is the notion that Mason County players are selected to all-star teams because of their hometown.

Heck, I might try to run for President of BGP. No telling how much pull I've got and don't even know it.:D

You have my vote!!!

Maybe Gilbert had a better tryout than Smith. Gilbert was underrated all season long. He plays for any other team in the state he averages 15+.

Mason County has some pretty good athletes in football and basketball. Strictly speaking in terms of athleticism, Gilbert is the best of them all, better than Harris, Pawsatt, Setty, etc. His only drawback is size. If he had Harris' size, you'd have college recruiters in football and basketball beating the doors down.

Don't be surprised if Hickey outplays Teague, i'm here in Indianapolis and I'm not seeing where all his hype comes from! He is fast but he is not great!

Teague isn't that good, he is just rated the 6th overall best player in America for no reason. :lol:

I like Hickey alot, but he isn't even on the same planet as Teague.

Teague isn't that good, he is just rated the 6th overall best player in America for no reason. :lol:

I like Hickey alot, but he isn't even on the same planet as Teague.

Teague hasn't looked that good at all playing with elite competition the last couple of weeks. The most respected college basketball poster on BGP pointed out that Teague has never won anything in AAU or High School. I'll guess we'll see soon if Hickey is on the same planet as Teague. Seeing is believing and right now I don't believe the hype on Teague.