Major Earthquake Hits Japan Live Footage of Tsunami

iamapt

The Chernobyl reactor did not have a containment building. This one does.

There is a lot of misinformation being spread and a great deal of (as usual) sensationalistic reporting going on. I, too, saw an "expert" on CNN a bit ago. Here was his comment: "Even if nothing else happens, this will be the third biggest nuclear power disaster in the world's history." Is he correct? Yes. However, that statement has sensationalism written all over it. Chernobyl was really the only disaster (again, without a containment building surrounding the reactor.) Three Mile Island (which is what would be listed as #2) had very little effect on the surrounding area/residents. So, if this is #3, it is only so because there is nothing else that even raises an eyebrow.

Now they are saying Chernobyl was a 7, and one the Japan reactor situation is now at a 6, I forgot where they said 3 Mile was, but they are now saying it's getting worse. Reports of fire inside of the actual nuclear reactor. And Japan has called the US nuclear officials for help.

Now maybe you know this, what are the chances Mt Fuji could erupt due to the quakes? Mt Fuji last erupted just over 300 years ago, there was a seperate quake (a 6.2) at the foot of Mt Fuji today. Could something trigger an eruption? It is over due to erupt. WOW! Talk about adding insult to injury!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now they are saying Chernobyl was a 7, and one the Japan reactor situation is now at a 6, I forgot where they said 3 Mile was, but they are now saying it's getting worse. Reports of fire inside of the actual nuclear reactor. And Japan has called the US nuclear officials for help.

Now maybe you know this, what are the chances Mt Fuji could erupt due to the quakes? Mt Fuji last erupted just over 300 years ago, there was a seperate quake (a 6.2) at the foot of Mt Fuji today. Could something trigger an eruption? It is over due to erupt. WOW! Talk about adding insult to injury!

Who are "they"? Do you know what those numbers mean? If you are watching any cable news channels, you are being misinformed.

Earthquakes and volcanoes are both caused by plate tectonics. To make a long story short, there is always a chance that an earthquake can cause a shift of outer layers of the volcano, thereby making it unable to contain the pressure within. This is actually what ended up causing Mt. St. Helens to erupt. It was "ready" to erupt (the side of the volcano was starting to bulge, as the magma made pushed its way upward) and an earthquake caused a small landslide down one of the slopes, resulting in the volcanic eruption.

As per Mt. Fuji, I haven't seen any reports that there signs of an impending eruption, so I don't expect that to happen.

Who are "they"? Do you know what those numbers mean? If you are watching any cable news channels, you are being misinformed.

Earthquakes and volcanoes are both caused by plate tectonics. To make a long story short, there is always a chance that an earthquake can cause a shift of outer layers of the volcano, thereby making it unable to contain the pressure within. This is actually what ended up causing Mt. St. Helens to erupt. It was "ready" to erupt (the side of the volcano was starting to bulge, as the magma made pushed its way upward) and an earthquake caused a small landslide down one of the slopes, resulting in the volcanic eruption.

As per Mt. Fuji, I haven't seen any reports that there signs of an impending eruption, so I don't expect that to happen.

They = TV and wire reports I seen today. Not sure what the numbers mean as I have been busy all day and heard it as I was working and on the phone, and haven't had time to look it up yet.

Thanks for the info on the Volcano's and Earthquakes! Answered my question that is "could" happen. It was today at 13:31:36 UTC and just over 6 miles deep at the southern base of Mt Fuji. A Japanese person I know told me about an hour ago that people he knows there are worried it would now erupt with the new quake next to it, and I seen where they were also concerned about it about 11 years ago.