February 13, 201115 yr I think Kanter has a lot to do with it. Yeah, he plays a different position, but just think about how much easier it would be on Knight Lamb and Jones if Enes was down low. There would be zero focus on those guys and they would not have to work as hard to get open. So yeah, I think it has a lot to do with it. It may have been a long a long shot but the reward was too great to pass up. Cal took a chance and swung and missed, no big deal there. I don't know if developing the talent is a problem either. Hood I just think is not the athlete that we thought he was. Hes always one or two steps behind. Heck, Polson is more suited for this game at this point in his career IMO. We knew it was gonna be a year like this if we didn't have Enes. I guess I'm in the minority on that idea though... In addition, I you KNEW Bledsoe was a one and doner from day one then you should be getting paid to scout. I don't think anyone knew he would be gone. Cal thought he had Bledsoe in his back pocket for this year.. But it is what it is.
February 13, 201115 yr In addition, I you KNEW Bledsoe was a one and doner from day one then you should be getting paid to scout. I don't think anyone knew he would be gone. Cal thought he had Bledsoe in his back pocket for this year.. But it is what it is. :thumb: Last year was an aberration. You would think by some of the comments I read, Cal puts 4 freshman in the draft every season. That has never happened in college basketball history and the chances are it will never again. Guys like Joey Dorsey, CDR, and others developed nicely under Cal. You have to really wonder if Hood and Orton would have been brought in by Cal had they not already committed to BCG.
February 13, 201115 yr :thumb: Last year was an aberration. You would think by some of the comments I read, Cal puts 4 freshman in the draft every season. That has never happened in college basketball history and the chances are it will never again. Guys like Joey Dorsey, CDR, and others developed nicely under Cal. You have to really wonder if Hood and Orton would have been brought in by Cal had they not already committed to BCG. He also has never had the number of top recruits in one class, as he's had his first 2 classes at UK. Was last year an aberration, or hint of things to come?
February 13, 201115 yr Cal is one of the greats at coaching, but he does need to start more recruiting for the bench. Bringing in two players or more that are going to leave after a year for the NBA doesn't help the future if quality subs, bench players, etc. aren't being recruited for. Hammertime brings up a great point about Orton and Bledsoe. If both of them were still on the team, things would be much different.
February 13, 201115 yr He also has never had the number of top recruits in one class, as he's had his first 2 classes at UK. Was last year an abortion, or hint of things to come? Careful now, we don't want to have to move this thread to the P/R forum. A thread about Coach Cal somewhere other than the College Basketball forum would be an aberration.
February 13, 201115 yr He also has never had the number of top recruits in one class, as he's had his first 2 classes at UK. Was last year an abortion, or hint of things to come? Careful now, we don't want to have to move this thread to the P/R forum. A thread about Coach Cal somewhere other than the College Basketball forum would be an aberration. :lol: :lol: :lol: Was that Freudian, or what?
February 13, 201115 yr And Kanter is no excuse. UK fans can shout Free Enes, but the reality is that the kid's amature status was a long shot and that fact was no secret in the coaching fraternity. But the Cats going from good to great depended on having him or not. It was a gamble and everyone knew it. I disagree.... No way he was banking on Bledsoe. That kid was solid from day one. Kanter - Cal had to know there was a chance he would be able to play. But Bledsoe was not gone until he saw his draft stock soar up throughout the year. He wasn't on the radar to start the season and ended up as one of the first PGs taken. There was probably always a chance he'd come back, and when Cal signed him I do not believe he thought he was getting a one and done guy. So Cal starts the recruiting year thinking he'll have 2 PGs, one in Bledsoe and one in Knight. That led to alot of good ones being taken up IMO.
February 13, 201115 yr With UK struggling some this year, does anyone think Cal will leave UK after this year and take a higher-paying pro job? UK basketball fans are notorious for demanding a winning team NOW and surely he will start feeling the heat if his team continues to struggle in conference play, no???
February 13, 201115 yr ^ I don't see him leaving for an NBA job. He's not Phil Jackson so it's not like he will be making 10 Mil a year. He already flopped big time in the NBA.
February 13, 201115 yr He also has never had the number of top recruits in one class, as he's had his first 2 classes at UK. Was last year an aberration, or hint of things to come? Abberation. Wall was gone no matter what. Cousins was seen as 50/50 coming in to the season and never fully flourished until the mid-way point. Orton and Bledsoe were on no persons draft board and lower 5 star talents. It was the perfect storm.
February 13, 201115 yr With UK struggling some this year, does anyone think Cal will leave UK after this year and take a higher-paying pro job? UK basketball fans are notorious for demanding a winning team NOW and surely he will start feeling the heat if his team continues to struggle in conference play, no??? I'm more worried about after next year with Cal leaving. I don't see him not coaching the upcoming freshman class at UK. After that I could definitely see him taking his talents to the NBA.
February 13, 201115 yr Jbwill2, that's wishful thinking for a UNC and Duke Fans! lol However, we would just hire Roy Williams he would love to be the Coach of the all time winniest team in Men's College Basketball! lol I'm just having some fun with you before you get all worked up! Go Big Blue!
February 14, 201115 yr I'm more worried about after next year with Cal leaving. I don't see him not coaching the upcoming freshman class at UK. After that I could definitely see him taking his talents to the NBA. I think he showcased his talents in the NBA years ago and it didn't turn out well. He's not the best in game coach in the business. I honestly don't see what he would have to offer at the NBA level. He does manage egos well but his strong suit, recruiting, would do nothing for him in the NBA.
February 14, 201115 yr Bledsoe was good enough to leave but it wasn't just that he wanted to play in the NBA to get money fro himself, he actually went because he wanted money for his family. In case you guys didn't know, Bledsoe in his junior and part of his senior year in high school lived in a car with his family. I think he left to give money to his family. If that wasn't the reason, i think he would still be at Kentucky. And Orton leaving killed us. Nobody thought he would leave but i guess he thought he would be a 1st round draft pick and he was right.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.