Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Cal and recruiting depth

Featured Replies

  • Author
Lack of depth in the backcourt?

 

Knight, Lamb, Liggins, & Miller are all very good guards. Hood stinks and I can't comment on Poole because I haven't seen him play much. The front court is a much bigger cause for concern.

Then why does Cal continually complain about Knight and Lamb playing too many minutes? He said after the Vandy game he played Lamb when he didn't want to. In my mind, that equates to lack of depth.

I'm not making this up. Just going off what the coach says after the game.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty clear to me that Jon Hood will never be a contributor for UK. Whenever he is in the game he gives up at least one 3 pointer because he knows he's not quick enough to face up someone he's guarding. He takes a step back to cheat so he doesn't get beat and gets one drained in his eye. It's like clockwork.

I think the lack of depth is for a few reasons:

-Bledsoe and Orton left.

-No Kanter.

-Potential NBA lock-out, so Cal did not want to tie up scholarships for next season.

 

All in all I feel like this team was the sacrificial lamb for UK to get to where they wanted to be as a program.

 

I pretty much agree :thumb:. Kanter ruled eligible and we are probably not having this conversation.

I can't bhelp but wonder when the "Fire Cal" or "Cal Bashers club" will start. :lol:

Then why does Cal continually complain about Knight and Lamb playing too many minutes? He said after the Vandy game he played Lamb when he didn't want to. In my mind, that equates to lack of depth.

I'm not making this up. Just going off what the coach says after the game.

When you go 6 deep everyone is going to playing a lot of minutes.

 

PG/SG - Knight/Lamb

SG/SF - Miller/Liggins

PF - Harrellson/Jones

 

If Jones or Harrellson get in foul trouble, UK is playing small the rest of the game. If one of the first 4 gets in foul trouble, they can at least be somewhat interchanged. Front court they are 0 people deep. Unless you count Vargas in which case UK is then in deep crap.

The fire Cal talks will never happen unless he really screws stuff up. There aren't any better options in the country that are available and I don't think there will be when Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, and Jim Calhoun are where they want to be. Those are the only coaches that even could match up what Calipari does.

Then why does Cal continually complain about Knight and Lamb playing too many minutes? He said after the Vandy game he played Lamb when he didn't want to. In my mind, that equates to lack of depth.

I'm not making this up. Just going off what the coach says after the game.

You do remember Miller was out for most of the second half with an injury? He put him in a couple of times for a short period but he was limping bad.

You do remember Miller was out for most of the second half with an injury? He put him in a couple of times for a short period but he was limping bad.

 

Isn't Miller questionable for the Miss. State game, too? I understand the injury is a groin pull.

The fire Cal talks will never happen unless he really screws stuff up. There aren't any better options in the country that are available and I don't think there will be when Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, and Jim Calhoun are where they want to be. Those are the only coaches that even could match up what Calipari does.
With recruiting imo you are right.
I'm more worried about after next year with Cal leaving. I don't see him not coaching the upcoming freshman class at UK. After that I could definitely see him taking his talents to the NBA.

 

Then when he does leave it will be the same as when everyone thought the world had ended when Pitino left. My answer will be the same..................U.K. Basketball was here before they got here and will be long after they are gone. No one Coach or player is bigger than U/K. Basketball.

  • Author
You do remember Miller was out for most of the second half with an injury? He put him in a couple of times for a short period but he was limping bad.

 

Lack. Of. Depth.

^ No. Lack of ESP to know who would leave. The glass can be 1/2 full sometimes, cant it? Don't be so negative all the time. :lol:

I like Cal, but I think he needs to keep Hood in the game longer so he can get into the flow, if he would just have one good game he would be ok.

^Hood is god-awful, a complete waste of space and scholarship. Why any UK fan would want him to play baffles me....:idunno:

  • Author
^ No. Lack of ESP to know who would leave. The glass can be 1/2 full sometimes, cant it? Don't be so negative all the time. :lol:

I'm not being negative. I'm just addressing the situation of lack of depth. I dont question the effort the team gives. I dont question the coaching. But Cal had one and done talent at Memphis and depth never seemed to be an issue there. I think the lack of depth creates tired legs at the end, which may be why they cant win a close game on the road.

I'm not being negative. I'm just addressing the situation of lack of depth. I dont question the effort the team gives. I dont question the coaching. But Cal had one and done talent at Memphis and depth never seemed to be an issue there. I think the lack of depth creates tired legs at the end, which may be why they cant win a close game on the road.

 

Oh, I agree but it's obvious where the depth went. Coach Cal didn't do anything wrong really, it just turned out this way. Nobody ever lost that many talented young players to the NBA so soon. It is what it is.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.