Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Cal and recruiting depth

Featured Replies

Perhaps we should give Cal more than 1.5 seasons to have the perfect roster. :idunno:

 

Cal was in his third season at Memphis before he made the NCAA Tournament. It was his sixth season before he made the Elite 8. He had 5 first round draft picks in his entire tenure at Memphis. He had that in his first season at UK. He had three lottery picks at Memphis.

 

I want John Calipari to recruit the absolute, very best players that he can possibly get each and every recruiting season. It's not likely that every single freshman he recruits is going to leave after one season. I believe the roster will fill out and find some balance over another 2-3 years.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Perhaps we should give Cal more than 1.5 seasons to have the perfect roster. :idunno:

 

Cal was in his third season at Memphis before he made the NCAA Tournament. It was his sixth season before he made the Elite 8. He had 5 first round draft picks in his entire tenure at Memphis. He had that in his first season at UK. He had three lottery picks at Memphis.

 

I want John Calipari to recruit the absolute, very best players that he can possibly get each and every recruiting season. It's not likely that every single freshman he recruits is going to leave after one season. I believe the roster will fill out and find some balance over another 2-3 years.

I agree. I'm not looking for the perfect roster. But I dont think a Cameron Mills, Chris Harrison, Hesheimu Evans (JUCO), or Andre Riddick is too much to ask. Depth.

 

And I apologize to Mobaar in advance for butchering the spelling of Evans' first name.

I agree. I'm not looking for the perfect roster. But I dont think a Cameron Mills, Chris Harrison, Hesheimu Evans (JUCO), or Andre Riddick is too much to ask. Depth.

 

And I apologize to Mobaar in advance for butchering the spelling of Evans' first name.

Heshimu Evans was a transfer from Manhatten after Fran Fraschilla lest for St. John's. :D The point still remains.

I agree. I'm not looking for the perfect roster. But I dont think a Cameron Mills, Chris Harrison, Hesheimu Evans (JUCO), or Andre Riddick is too much to ask. Depth.

 

And I apologize to Mobaar in advance for butchering the spelling of Evans' first name.

 

We have guys like that, they were supposed to be Jon Hood, Stacey Poole and Jarrod Polson. Polson is a walk on, but besides him, Poole Jr. was the 32nd ranked player in last years class and Hood was top 40, IMO that is pretty good as far as depth guys go. It just seems that they haven't developed enough for Calipari to feel confident in playing them lots of minutes, thus they don't play. If most schools across the country had this same team all three of those guys would be getting a lot of minutes, but Cal is sticking to his guns and keeping a 6 and 7 man roster.

Cameron Mills was my favorite Cat on the team that year. I just love my shooters!

^Hood is god-awful, a complete waste of space and scholarship. Why any UK fan would want him to play baffles me....:idunno:

Not to get this moved to P&R, but I misread this the first time through.

Perhaps we should give Cal more than 1.5 seasons to have the perfect roster. :idunno:

.

 

I agree with you 5wide but we know that will never happen .

We are talking about some U.K. fans that are never satisfied with anyone or anything. Should Cal go unbeaten with a National Championship and the record lets say be 40-0 with 5 first team all americans plus the P.O.Y. and some would still be complaining about something. Maybe wondering and complaining that he didn't schedule more games or win by a larger margin in the 40 they won. Others would be anylizing some players saying that they had no business on the team or shouldn't play at all, can't understand why anyone would want them.

So goes the small portion of the U.K. fan base that does most of the talking making all look ridiculous. In spite of all of those fans, GO BIG BLUE !!!

And I apologize to Mobaar in advance for butchering the spelling of Evans' first name.

 

You ignored the rest of that post, so I assumed you just ignored it all.

 

Again... Hood, Poole, Vargas. How are those guys different than the people you mentioned? And give him more than 1 season to recover after an unprecedented freshman exodus.

 

Since he was brought up in another thread...Tubby was 9-7 in the SEC his last two seasons at UK. Cal needs to go 4-2 the rest of the way to hit that mark. If they win out at home that's where they'll end up. It's certainly not a great season, but not the apocalypse some people are marking this out to be.

No Kanter has nothing to do with their lack of depth in the backcourt.

 

Lack. Of. Depth.

 

Depth is a problem, but lack of depth in the backcourt is not a problem. Like I said, Knight, Lamb, Miller & Liggins are all more than capable. Kentucky needs another big man or two that can contribute.

More depth would be nice for sure, but I don't see that as UK's primary problem. Teams can succeed with a smaller rotation. A talented big (like Kanter) would be more important. But, most important, IMO, is the ability to finish games. If they could close the deal, they may very well be 22-2 right now and nobody is having this discussion. And, from what I've watched, fatigue is not the reason they struggle late in games.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.