February 13, 201115 yr No doubt Coach Cal can recruit top shelf talent. It's good to have those players make up 60-80% of your starting five. But how can such a good recruiter not be able to fill the roster with depth? A six-man rotation isn't going to make it far in either the SEC or NCAA Tournament. It's kind of like drafting an NFL team. Anyone can pick pick up talent in the first two rounds. It's the last six rounds that determine how good you will be. Calipari needs to focus just as much on roster spots 9-12 as 1-4 when it comes to recruiting. I understand they put all their eggs into the Enes basket. But that has nothing to do with the minutes Knight and Lamb are getting because there is no depth.
February 13, 201115 yr I think the lack of depth is for a few reasons: -Bledsoe and Orton left. -No Kanter. -Potential NBA lock-out, so Cal did not want to tie up scholarships for next season. All in all I feel like this team was the sacrificial lamb for UK to get to where they wanted to be as a program.
February 13, 201115 yr I think the lack of depth is for a few reasons: -Bledsoe and Orton left. -No Kanter. -Potential NBA lock-out, so Cal did not want to tie up scholarships for next season. All in all I feel like this team was the sacrificial lamb for UK to get to where they wanted to be as a program. I agree..:thumb:
February 13, 201115 yr I think the lack of depth is for a few reasons: -Bledsoe and Orton left. -No Kanter. -Potential NBA lock-out, so Cal did not want to tie up scholarships for next season. All in all I feel like this team was the sacrificial lamb for UK to get to where they wanted to be as a program. Pretty much. It wasn't that Cal was trying to build a 6 man team, but when you do not get production out of Poole or Hood, then they can't play. Then on the flip side who else was supposed to be on this years team to give it more depth? The only other players Cal could have brought in would have been 3* and below guys who would have more than likely been in the same position as Poole this season so then they would have just been stealing scholarship spots from the big guns coming in next year. IMO this season has just been a work of coaching on the fly because of all the variables that factored into it. Don't think you will be seeing this every year, its obvious its not what Calipari wants but instead what he was almost forced to do.
February 13, 201115 yr I believe he always had a quality bench in Memphis , I think the Bledsoe leaving and Orton may have caught him by surprise . Poole must have really been a big disappointment . He must be horrible !!!!!!
February 13, 201115 yr No Kanter!!!!! changes everything, Lamb and Knight are both real good but they would be having a field day with Kanter inside.
February 13, 201115 yr Cal has stated that he prefers talent over experience. IMO, he has no intention of recruiting anything but top shelf talent and hoping some stay. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it just is what it is. The Cat's are going to have years like this, more often than not. Unless some decide to stay, now and then, I believe Final Four teams will come in years in which Coach Cal can recruit a Final Four team, not build one. Having said that, his chances of doing just that at UK, are better than anywhere else he has coached. He may recruit a few more FF teams than he has in his previous 18 years of being a head coach at the college level.
February 13, 201115 yr And how quickly we forget about the Dodson debacle. How many players does West Virginia have now? Short rosters happen in today's college basketball.
February 13, 201115 yr Not to mention Ohio St . ,how many minutes did Lighty,Sullinger and Craft have yesterday .
February 13, 201115 yr People act like Jon Hood was a recruiting afterthought, when in reality he was a top 50 guy. Even if he isn't a star, he should at least be providing depth to this team. But he's a ghost. Shouldn't Cal be doing more to develop some of the players he already has on the bench?
February 13, 201115 yr And Kanter is no excuse. UK fans can shout Free Enes, but the reality is that the kid's amature status was a long shot and that fact was no secret in the coaching fraternity.
February 13, 201115 yr I think the lack of depth is for a few reasons: -Bledsoe and Orton left. -No Kanter. -Potential NBA lock-out, so Cal did not want to tie up scholarships for next season. All in all I feel like this team was the sacrificial lamb for UK to get to where they wanted to be as a program. I disagree.... No way he was banking on Bledsoe. That kid was solid from day one. Kanter - Cal had to know there was a chance he would be able to play.
February 13, 201115 yr I disagree.... No way he was banking on Bledsoe. That kid was solid from day one. Kanter - Cal had to know there was a chance he would be able to play. You really expected Bledsoe to leave at this point last season? I looked for him to come back right up until the time he made the decision to leave with everyone else.
February 13, 201115 yr Author No Kanter!!!!! changes everything, Lamb and Knight are both real good but they would be having a field day with Kanter inside. No Kanter has nothing to do with their lack of depth in the backcourt.
February 13, 201115 yr Kanter doesn't count but imagine Bledsoe and Orton on this team. He would have had plenty of depth. Cal didn't anticipate this happening and not many people did. Sometimes that happens when you recruit like he does.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.