Mike Brown is a successful businessman

Something that each Bengals' fan has to accept.

He runs a football team as a business to help support and provide jobs for his family.

If any of us were starting a business of any sort and knew our family was going to be involved, our #1 priority would be: Providing financial stability for our family while making a profit.

His goal is NOT to put a winning football team on the field. That would be a great side goal but in reality, it is not what his first inclination or what he strives to do.

First and foremost he wants to provide for his family.

Can't say that 1) you can fault him for that; 2) he has not done an excellent job with that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is because of the NFL as a whole not what he has done IMO.

But that is part of it. He knows the business he is in and what he needs to do to provide not only income for his family today but rather a place for them to be the rest of their lives.

He could do as others have done and overspend and push to have a winning product on the field. But knows he does not have to do that. So, he possibly maximizes their financial situation by doing what he does.

For the poor Bengals' fans, that means nothing is ever going to change for you guys. You are always going to be rooting for a team as the Bengals are.

You want an owner that cares about winning as their #1 priority. Not going to get it.

Rather his #1 priority is providing for his family in the market/situation he is in.

And towards your point, he was the one negotiating the sweet deal he got from Hamilton County, not the NFL. Doesn't it guarantee him sellouts till like 2020 or so regardless of how many seats are actually filled?

Something that each Bengals' fan has to accept.

He runs a football team as a business to help support and provide jobs for his family.

If any of us were starting a business of any sort and knew our family was going to be involved, our #1 priority would be: Providing financial stability for our family while making a profit.

His goal is NOT to put a winning football team on the field. That would be a great side goal but in reality, it is not what his first inclination or what he strives to do.

First and foremost he wants to provide for his family.

Can't say that 1) you can fault him for that; 2) he has not done an excellent job with that.

First of all, I'm going to puke. Provide for his family??? You can't be serious with that. This isn't a guy holding down 2 jobs and relegated to crime to keep food on the table. He and a lot of his children have made multi-million dollars for at least the last 6 years, so they are provided for.

Mike Brown is a business man, but he's not a very good one. The fact that he makes money is due to the fact that he is part of an industry that is recession proof. He is the owner of a Pro Football team, and there is not another one in town. In that, he has a quasi-monopoly in that respect. If there was another team in town, the fans would have already packed their stadium and Brown would be out of business. He is successful not of his own merit, but because he won the genetic lottery and his Dad gave him a football team.

If anything, his inability to change and evolve with the other organizations makes him a crappy business owner. If you owned a business where you did the equivalent of losing 66% of the time over a 20 year period, as he has, you would not have a business anymore. Customers wouldn't stand for it. What he is is an evil business person. He sees no need to change b/c he has no pressure to change. There is no accountability, so he provides his customers with a crap product. He short changes his company in all areas that it truly needs to be strong in order to be a consistent winner.

But that is part of it. He knows the business he is in and what he needs to do to provide not only income for his family today but rather a place for them to be the rest of their lives.

He could do as others have done and overspend and push to have a winning product on the field. But knows he does not have to do that. So, he possibly maximizes their financial situation by doing what he does.

For the poor Bengals' fans, that means nothing is ever going to change for you guys. You are always going to be rooting for a team as the Bengals are.

You want an owner that cares about winning as their #1 priority. Not going to get it.

Rather his #1 priority is providing for his family in the market/situation he is in.

And towards your point, he was the one negotiating the sweet deal he got from Hamilton County, not the NFL. Doesn't it guarantee him sellouts till like 2020 or so regardless of how many seats are actually filled?

Don't confuse being greedy w/ being successful. He has done NOTHING to contribute to the "success." He is a byproduct of the machine that is the NFL. He did nothing to bring the team to Cincinnati. It wasn't his money that purchased the club, or his career elsewhere that created the wealth necessary to be an owner.

I think a lot of people believe Mike Brown doesn't care about winning. I don't think that is the case at all. I think he wants to win but his own way (which obviously isn't working). He is to stubborn to step into the new age NFL and do things the way other people do it. He wants to do it HIS way. He's an old stubborn guy.

I think a lot of people believe Mike Brown doesn't care about winning. I don't think that is the case at all. I think he wants to win but his own way (which obviously isn't working). He is to stubborn to step into the new age NFL and do things the way other people do it. He wants to do it HIS way. He's an old stubborn guy.

He's not stubborn. He knows he needs a GM, so he has one...himself. He literally pays himself as General Manager. He knows that he needs scouts, he just doesn't want to spend on them. His father was one of the most innovative coaches of all time, lost his edge, and then gradually adjusted w/ the game (see the west coast offense and Bill Walsh.) He was stubborn. Mike Brown is flat out greedy. He is constantly searching for basement bottom deals. That's why the Bengals get either the troubled player or the recycled veteran. He knows that they will be thankful just to get a chance to play and will give away all negotiating leverage for it. That's why he has such a hard time signing first round picks. He is greedy. This isn't MLB. There is a salary cap and a very lucrative TV deal that gets split 32 ways. There is no excuse for his inability to consistently field a winning team outside of incompetence and greed.

And make no mistake, I am not defending him because his decisions are the reason I left being a Bengals' fan. Not Marvin, Carson, chad. The owner, plain and simple. When he leaves, good chance I will come back to rooting for the Bengals.

But not shipping my money or support to him. Just have realized that his goals for his team do not align with the goals I expect of my sports teams. And his ain't changing.

He's not stubborn. He knows he needs a GM, so he has one...himself. He literally pays himself as General Manager. He knows that he needs scouts, he just doesn't want to spend on them. His father was one of the most innovative coaches of all time, lost his edge, and then gradually adjusted w/ the game (see the west coast offense and Bill Walsh.) He was stubborn. Mike Brown is flat out greedy. He is constantly searching for basement bottom deals. That's why the Bengals get either the troubled player or the recycled veteran. He knows that they will be thankful just to get a chance to play and will give away all negotiating leverage for it. That's why he has such a hard time signing first round picks. He is greedy. This isn't MLB. There is a salary cap and a very lucrative TV deal that gets split 32 ways. There is no excuse for his inability to consistently field a winning team outside of incompetence and greed.

I don't see it as greedy but rather operating as low financial risk as possible so that there is more for his family. Remember his family has no other means of financial resources that I know about. They don't have deep pockets.

You guys make it sound like having a McDonald's franchise means you are not a good businessman but just feed off the success of McDonald's.

You still have to produce a good product at McDonalds, you can't serve people chicken when they order a cheeseburger. You have to do business the right way or people will go to Wendy's or Arbys or Taco Bell. The NFL is a different beast because of revenue sharing. Owners make money before they even sell a ticket to a game. McDonalds needs people to keep buying and buying to make money (I don't know that for %100 fact). Even when the stadium is half full he is still making money.

You guys make it sound like having a McDonald's franchise means you are not a good businessman but just feed off the success of McDonald's.

That isn't even a comparison. We're talking economies of scale here. There isn't a geographical alternative. An NFL team is too big to be able to just start, not to mention the awarding process. If you hate how the McDonald's in Newport is, you drive 2 miles and you eat at the one in Bellevue. If you hate the Bengals, but love live NFL football, you have to drive 2 hours to Indy, if you can get tickets.