Most missed call by officials in basketball

I know we are all experts from the bleachers on officiating a high school basketball game but it seems as though each referees have a certain call that the specialize in and call it over and over. The call I see and hate to see it called is when a player has the ball and makes a move off the dribble and is called for walking when he's not actually walking. I see that time and time again and its hardly ever a walk but it's called. Another call that is hardly ever called is the 3 second violation. I see boys in there for 8-10 seconds and is hardly ever called. Am I the only one who sees this or do some of you see this also. And what about palming the ball, is there such a rule anymore.

I agree with walking being the most missed call. Kids are so fast on the dribble now a days refs call a lot of walks that are not because the move looks odd. I also dislike the way the jump ball call often happens. The refs seem to use it as a bailout when they are not sure what to call. In my opinion a lot of tie ups are actually just muggings.

I watched a game last week end and they called a walk when the player had the ball and then made his move with the ball . It was called 7-8 times in that game by the same official. It sure didn't look like walking from where I was seated. I was informed that there was no such thing as palming, it's either a walk or double dribble when the player puts his hand under the ball and completely turns it over while dribbling.

I personally think the spin move is missed a lot -- some called walks when not and vice versa. I think officials sometimes get caught up in the quickness of a spin move as opposed to watching their feet. If it is a slow spin, walk seems to get called. If it is a quick spin, no call most of the time. John Wall last year at KY is a perfect example of this. He often walked on a spin move by the interpretation of the rules, but he is lightning quick and it was seemingly never called a walk.

I was informed that there was no such thing as palming, it's either a walk or double dribble when the player puts his hand under the ball and completely turns it over while dribbling.

It's only considered an illegal dribble because the dribble ended when the ball came to rest (ie when the palming took place). The officials have a signal for "palming/carrying" to show why the dribble was illegal.

I watched a game last week end and they called a walk when the player had the ball and then made his move with the ball . It was called 7-8 times in that game by the same official. It sure didn't look like walking from where I was seated..

Are you saying it wasn't a travel or are you saying you do not know WHY it was a travel?

Most coaches/fans do not understand what role "control" plays in the calling/non-calling of a travel or double dribble. It's impossible to travel or double dribble if the player does not have control of the ball. Two examples:

A1 passes to A2. A2 reaches a hand out to catch the pass but it bounces off and goes to the floor. A2 picks it up. A2 has not taken a dribble yet as he never controlled the ball when it went to the floor. So that means A2 can dribble. I often get "asked" about this when it's not called. It cannot be a double dribble.

#2 A1 passes to A2 who is cutting towards the basket. A2 bobbles the pass while he's moving towards the basket ie he takes a couple of steps while he's trying to grab it. That's NOT a travel since he never gained control of the ball. That's another one I get asked about quite often.

One more: A1 dribbling through the lane and while in the air B1 knocks the ball out of A1's hands. A1 can catch the deflected ball and land without penalty. It's not a travel.

The one that some seem to be referring to in the previous posts revolves around the issue of lifting the pivot foot before the dribble starts. Often, especially in girls games it seems, A1 pump fakes and steps with the non-pivot foot. They then lift their pivot foot before they start their dribble in order to go around the defender. That's a travel even though it can be very close and hard to see. I'm not saying there are some that are called incorrectly. I'm saying MOST are called correctly in that case. I see more that are missed (ie not called) than are called when it wasn't a travel.

Most coaches/fans do not understand what role "control" plays in the calling/non-calling of a travel or double dribble. It's impossible to travel or double dribble if the player does not have control of the ball. Two examples:

A1 passes to A2. A2 reaches a hand out to catch the pass but it bounces off and goes to the floor. A2 picks it up. A2 has not taken a dribble yet as he never controlled the ball when it went to the floor. So that means A2 can dribble. I often get "asked" about this when it's not called. It cannot be a double dribble.

#2 A1 passes to A2 who is cutting towards the basket. A2 bobbles the pass while he's moving towards the basket ie he takes a couple of steps while he's trying to grab it. That's NOT a travel since he never gained control of the ball. That's another one I get asked about quite often.

One more: A1 dribbling through the lane and while in the air B1 knocks the ball out of A1's hands. A1 can catch the deflected ball and land without penalty. It's not a travel.

The one that some seem to be referring to in the previous posts revolves around the issue of lifting the pivot foot before the dribble starts. Often, especially in girls games it seems, A1 pump fakes and steps with the non-pivot foot. They then lift their pivot foot before they start their dribble in order to go around the defender. That's a travel even though it can be very close and hard to see. I'm not saying there are some that are called incorrectly. I'm saying MOST are called correctly in that case. I see more that are missed (ie not called) than are called when it wasn't a travel.

So when does a dribble start? When the ball hits the floor? Or when the arm is pushing the ball towards the floor.

So when does a dribble start? When the ball hits the floor? Or when the arm is pushing the ball towards the floor.

When the ball is pushed to the floor. The action of starting the dribble has to occur prior to the pivot being lifted.