The Highlands-Boyle County 2011 Season Opener is Looking Great...!

jbwill2

I asked a question and wondered if Birdsfan or JB could answer for my own edification. How many Division 1 scholarship recepients have come out of the HHS program since 1999?

I mentioned Boyle's and know Highlands more than likely has had more but was curious how many more.

FWIW, I think Boyle's list is:

Bobby Leffew - UL

Travis Leffew - UL

Taylor Begley - UK

Jacob Tamme - UK

Brodie Overstreet - Wake Forest

David Jennings - TCU

Jordan Aumiller - UK

Lamar Dawson - We Have Yet to see (UK, UL, Oregon, USC, TN, Mich ?)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very bad example. If I'm not mistaken he lived in Independence and went to Dixie his frosh year. So geographically he should of went to Simon Kenton. Do you think Kenton Co. schools have an unfair advantage having open enrollment. This all sounds like sour grapes and excuses coming from Union..HHS has played up 2 classes and ran the table with a smaller student population. Having a kid or 2 who pays tuiton is a joke of an argument on your part. Get over it, build your own dynasty and quit trying to throw the Birds under the bus!! What HHS has done over the years is very impressive... PERIOD!!

Once again, not reading the discussion and touchy about the facts. It is far from a joke of an argument. They have not played a team in 5A that has their draw except maybe Covington Catholic. Therefore, call me unimpressed by the playing up argument. If you want that to hold, play up to 6A. In truth, Highlands and Cov would have both had tougher playoff competition in 4A the last two years. Why would Union have sour grapes towards Highlands? They don't get many of our players. I can only think of a kicker from several years ago, but maybe I am wrong.

Hatz I know he played before 99, but Neil Brown (I believe 97) played at UK and is now the youngest OC in NCAA football at Texas Tech.

I also think that before he leaves Boyle, that our kicker William Harris will be added to the list. He has broken the KHSAA record for consectiive extra points made as a Soph (82 for 82). Already has a strong leg and 2 more years to improve.

He's grabbing at straws, because he realize he has no basis for his claims.

I am claiming that Highlands has a larger draw than Ft Thomas and that their sucess is helped by out of town players. Do you claim that this isn't true? I named one off of this year's team that I could think of off the top of my head and the best reply that I get is that he had ties to the community. He started his high school career at another school and I am grasping at straws? Or is it that he didn't help Highlands win, because he looks like an impact player to me. I would also be willing to bet that he is far from the only ousider on the Bird's roster, but you would know that better than me. I am not saying that this is wrong or illegal, I am saying that it gives Highlands a greater draw of football players than most of their class competition, whether they have a larger student population or not.

What better example is there than someone who starts as a freshman at one school, and transfers as a sophmore? I don't care if my mother is from Jamaica. If I have lived all my life in the U.S. and move to Jamaica when I am in high school I am not from Jamaica. Having ties like one of your parents having gone to a school does not make it a bad example.
I just want to make it completely clear that we did not have a single kid from Jamaica on the team this year; however, we did have one from Samoa a few years ago. One of our international scouts found him working in a kosher poi factory outside of Apia.

Here is who I can think of real quick off the top of my head.

Jared Lorenzen - UK

Derek Smith - UK

Rob Smith - UT

Austin Collinsworth - ND

Sean Sester - Purdue

Tyler Grubbs Miami of Ohio

Mike Mitchell Ohio University

I think there was another one who went to Purdue-played D line there?

I am claiming that Highlands has a larger draw than Ft Thomas and that their sucess is helped by out of town players. Do you claim that this isn't true? I named one off of this year's team that I could think of off the top of my head and the best reply that I get is that he had ties to the community. He started his high school career at another school and I am grasping at straws? Or is it that he didn't help Highlands win, because he looks like an impact player to me. I would also be willing to bet that he is far from the only ousider on the Bird's roster, but you would know that better than me. I am not saying that this is wrong or illegal, I am saying that it gives Highlands a greater draw of football players than most of their class competition, whether they have a larger student population or not.

Having talked with their uncle, I believe there is more to the story than "they just wanted to play at Highlands". Since you don't know the reason for the Bruns move back to Ft. Thomas, I'm saying pick another example and we can discuss it.

I just want to make it completely clear that we did not have a single kid from Jamaica on the team this year; however, we did have one from Samoa a few years ago. One of our international scouts found him working in a kosher poi factory.

I wouldn't think that a scout found him, but I am sure he had no bearing on the sucess the team had his senior year.

Once again, not reading the discussion and touchy about the facts. It is far from a joke of an argument. They have not played a team in 5A that has their draw except maybe Covington Catholic. Therefore, call me unimpressed by the playing up argument. If you want that to hold, play up to 6A. In truth, Highlands and Cov would have both had tougher playoff competition in 4A the last two years. Why would Union have sour grapes towards Highlands? They don't get many of our players. I can only think of a kicker from several years ago, but maybe I am wrong.

No we don't but you do get some of ours, Trenton Fugate was a pretty good pick up for Ryle.

Larry - Any successful organization will create an environment that will attract other like minded successful individuals to join. It happens all the time in business and also occurs at Highlands. The Fort Thomas Independent School District has created an environment that is attractive to students, athletes and families of high achievers. Mothers and fathers enroll their children through legal means in the school system because they know they will get a return on their investment. No recruiting is necessary. The track record and goodwill of the entire school system speak for themselves. It is really no different than what the Patriots do on a much larger scale minus the compensation. The elite professional player wants to play for and is attracted to Bill Bellichek and Robert Kraft because they are winners and do things first class. Men like Mike Brown have difficulty signing the elite player because he doesn't run his operation successfully. Most parents make the move to Fort Thomas when their child is young. Just as you probably chose to move to Union for the modern housing and good school system. Success doesn't work in a vacuum. It takes many like minded individuals working together for a common goal.

Larry - Any successful organization will create an environment that will attract other like minded successful individuals to join. It happens all the time in business and also occurs at Highlands. The Fort Thomas Independent School District has created an environment that is attractive to students, athletes and families of high achievers. Mothers and fathers enroll their children through legal means in the school system because they know they will get a return on their investment. No recruiting is necessary. The track record and goodwill of the entire school system speak for themselves. It is really no different than what the Patriots do on a much larger scale minus the compensation. The elite professional player wants to play for and is attracted to Bill Bellichek and Robert Kraft because they are winners and do things first class. Men like Mike Brown have difficulty signing the elite player because he doesn't run his operation successfully. Most parents make the move to Fort Thomas when their child is young. Just as you probably chose to move to Union for the modern housing and good school system. Success doesn't work in a vacuum. It takes many like minded individuals working together for a common goal.

I couldn't agree with you more. That is not my point. My point is that Highlands specifically draws football players to their school that are from other communities which gives them a larger draw of football players than their student numbers would suggest.