The Highlands-Boyle County 2011 Season Opener is Looking Great...!

jbwill2

Guest Birdflu

I would really like to see a thread if Boyle County played Simon Kenton. To keep this post on topic, this Boyle County/Highlands game will be a great measuring stick for both teams.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LW -- your post suggests that "Highlands has a set up that allows this to happen" which other schools do not. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way. Birdesye states the case very well in the next post that ANY public school CAN have the same setup. Some schools (including Boone Co. where population growth presumably precludes tuition students because they can barely fit the students they are obligated by law to educate into their buildings) choose not to do so.

Are you saying it is an UNFAIR advantage that HHS has created an academic, athletic and other environment that people want to come there OR just that it is AN advantage? If the former, I disagree. If the latter, I say "I agree and we are dang proud of that advantage and seek to make it more attractive each and every day."

I never stated that Highlands is doing anything unfair. I simply stated that they have ever advantage in competition within this state that exist. Therefore, I would expect them to dominate 5A. The "We are playing up so it is more impressive" argument doesn't hold with me. It is not being accomplished with a group of athletes soely from a small community.

I would really like to see a thread if Boyle County played Simon Kenton. To keep this post on topic, this Boyle County/Highlands game will be a great measuring stick for both teams.

I agree. I think it will be interesting to see how sharp both teams are in week 0 and how they progress as the year goes on. I was unsure in week 0 this year when we played Johnson Central and only won by 6 if we would be able to win state this year. After we beat East Jessamine in the playoffs I knew we would win state this year and that no one would stop us from doing so.

I never stated that Highlands is doing anything unfair. I simply stated that they have ever advantage in competition within this state that exist. Therefore, I would expect them to dominate 5A. The "We are playing up so it is more impressive" argument doesn't hold with me. It is not being accomplished with a group of athletes soely from a small community.

Except the most important, population, since they are of course much smaller than those who they have historically chosen to play against. Doesn't matter where those extra 2 to 4 players come from. 600 vs 400 to choose from is huge.

1. You don't have to live in Ft. Thomas to play in the FTJFL so that is a mute point.

2. Highlands is a public school that accepts tuition students for around $2k a year as I understand it. Much less than NCC for example. Which makes it much easier for a kid from Newport for example to go to HHS.

Just for clarification...Ft Thomas Independent has two different tuition rates: $2,000 or $4,500 per year. If the student's home district releases the state funds to Ft. Thomas, it is the lower rate. Otherwise, you pay the higher amount. In Campbell County, the only districts that release the state funds for high school are Dayton and Southgate (because they do not have a high school). So a student from Newport would pay the $4,500 rate, which is comparable to the $5,100 for NCC.

Except the most important, population, since they are of course much smaller than those who they have historically chosen to play against. Doesn't matter where those extra 2 to 4 players come from. 600 vs 400 to choose from is huge.

Really? Even when the 2-4 that are added to the team are college caliber athletes specifically coming to your program to play football? I don't think so. Most school with 600 won't have one scholarship caliber athlete. Highlands has had multiple scholarship athletes from out of town in the last 15 years. To not acknowledge this fact is fantasy. Of course, those players have had no impact on Highland's sucess?

WOW !!! A Simon Kenton vs Boyle County thread . That would be very entertaining , UK#1 fan talking football with Purple Pride 92 . :lol:

Back to the thread topic . This should be a great game . Tradition vs tradition . Go Birds !! 21n11 !!

Really? Even when the 2-4 that are added to the team are college caliber athletes specifically coming to your program to play football? I don't think so. Most school with 600 won't have one scholarship caliber athlete. Highlands has had multiple scholarship athletes from out of town in the last 15 years. To not acknowledge this fact is fantasy. Of course, those players have had no impact on Highland's sucess?

Yes, really.

Give HHS 50 more players which they would get out of 200 more boys and you don't think that would be a huge boost??? The rest of your post is fantasy-read my post and don't put words in my mouth. If you want to start a thread on it, please do wo.

BTW, ALL players on the HHS football team have had an impact on our success, including those VERY FEW scholarship caliber players you mentioned.

Your right, it's all speculative.

You cite that Boyle didn't beat Highlands when they were good. Can the same be said for when Highlands defeated Boyle? That was a good team but they were a shadow of the previous five champions and everyone knew that with their eyes open. On the one year argument I guess the best way to examine it (since they only played each other 2 years) is how far did they advance when in the same class.

(Boyle & HHS were in AAA together from 2001 to 2006)

2001 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Cov Cath)

2002 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Rockastle)

2003 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Boyle)

2004 HHS won AAA (Boyle lost to HHS)

2005 Boyle lost to Bullitt East in Regional Final, HHS to Lex Cath same game

2006 Boyle lost to Southwestern in 2nd Round, HHS to Cov Cath same round

That's what they did last time they were in the same class. Could the earlier Rebel teams have competed vs. HHS? I don't know. Neither does anyone else. What is the measure?

I do have a question: How many Division 1 College Schollys have been given to Birds players since '99?

Boyle has seen 8 receive Division 1 scholarships since '99 so there was some pretty good talent on those teams whether they played HHS every year or not.

I'm not trying to say the tradition of excellence of Highlands is less than the Rebels' in this run or even that Boyle is on par. I'm simply stating it's not as far a gap as some seem intent to portray here.

:thumb:

Very well stated argument in support of Boyle County. Nicely done Hatz.

This should be a great rivalry over the next few years. I will say Highlands' program has gone to a different level over the past 5 years. They play platoon football now and their program is truly at a level it has never seen before IMO. On the other hand, I think Boyle County's program may be better now than it it ever has been as well. Class 4A is going to be fun and this battle between two great programs will be at the head of the list. And I think you are probably right - these two programs are closer to each than some believe.

WOW !!! A Simon Kenton vs Boyle County thread . That would be very entertaining , UK#1 fan talking football with Purple Pride 92 . :lol:

Back to the thread topic . This should be a great game . Tradition vs tradition . Go Birds !! 21n11 !!

It would be entertaining. Two fans of their respective schools bantering about an upcoming game. One of the many reasons I pay yearly to be on BGP. I never claimed to be an expert on football but I know Boyle County is better than you or some may want to portray. You got it right in your last sentence. It is tradition vs tradition and I hope the Rebels earn your respect one way or another whether it be in game 1 or game 2 if we can mange to beat LexCath. I love our schedule next year and I look forward to seeing how well of a team we are when the playoffs start.

Very well stated argument in support of Boyle County. Nicely done Hatz.

This should be a great rivalry over the next few years. I will say Highlands' program has gone to a different level over the past 5 years. They play platoon football now and their program is truly at a level it has never seen before IMO. On the other hand, I think Boyle County's program may be better now than it it ever has been as well. Class 4A is going to be fun and this battle between two great programs will be at the head of the list. And I think you are probably right - these two programs are closer to each than some believe.

Absolutely. I hope this is a rivalry that is maintained well beyond the current contract.

Yes, really.

Give HHS 50 more players which they would get out of 200 more boys and you don't think that would be a huge boost??? The rest of your post is fantasy-read my post and don't put words in my mouth. If you want to start a thread on it, please do wo.

BTW, ALL players on the HHS football team have had an impact on our success, including those VERY FEW scholarship caliber players you mentioned.

75, I think you are fighting a no win situation with Larry. I think he is upset that his Raiders didnt win Both times this yr against the 5A State Champion Birds. Little does he know the only reason they didnt win the first one was because of the tight field conditions at DCM not the multiple Div 1 tuition football players. LOL.

I would like to think that he learns from this season and takes away from it the fact that yes Ryle has a very good football team and their program is headed into the right direction. The win over Highlands will be remembered for yrs to come in Union, probably more than the loss to Trinity. My point is some should quit complaining and keep working harder and respect your opponents for who they are and quit making excuses and claims that tuition students are the reason Highlands won this yr and 19 other times. Go Birds 20n10

Yes, really.

Which part is fantasy? The scholarship athletes, or the fact that several of them were not from Ft. Thomas. Of course every player contributes to sucess. To say that Highlands has the same draw of athletes as schools around the state of their same size class is fantasy. If you have 400 boys with a greater than 30 % football interest and a three county draw you will have more athletes than a school with 600 boys from the same living area. It is about a draw. If you think 200 boys is an advantage, how about a 600-700 number advantage. This is the advantage that most 6A schools are attempting to overcome when they play Trinity and X. Highlands has excellent tradition, community support, and work ethic. However, lets not try to discount some other conditions that contribute to their sucess.

Which part is fantasy? The scholarship athletes, or the fact that several of them were not from Ft. Thomas. Of course every player contributes to sucess. To say that Highlands has the same draw of athletes as schools around the state of their same size class is fantasy. If you have 400 boys with a greater than 30 % football interest and a three county draw you will have more athletes than a school with 600 boys from the same living area. It is about a draw. If you think 200 boys is an advantage, how about a 600-700 number advantage. This is the advantage that most 6A schools are attempting to overcome when they play Trinity and X. Highlands has excellent tradition, community support, and work ethic. However, lets not try to discount some other conditions that contribute to their sucess.

Putting words in my mouth again Larry. I did not discount it, I said HHS does not have the single biggest advantage-population. That is a fact. We do not have a 3 county draw. I wish we did. Shoot, I wish we kept all the FT Thomas kids. We have a couple kids each year on the team paying tuition. Big difference which you seen to not want to acknowledge. That no way offsets the lack of population we face in 5A.

75, I think you are fighting a no win situation with Larry. I think he is upset that his Raiders didnt win Both times this yr against the 5A State Champion Birds. Little does he know the only reason they didnt win the first one was because of the tight field conditions at DCM not the multiple Div 1 tuition football players. LOL.

I would like to think that he learns from this season and takes away from it the fact that yes Ryle has a very good football team and their program is headed into the right direction. The win over Highlands will be remembered for yrs to come in Union, probably more than the loss to Trinity. My point is some should quit complaining and keep working harder and respect your opponents for who they are and quit making excuses and claims that tuition students are the reason Highlands won this yr and 19 other times. Go Birds 20n10

Obviously you haven't read one of my post. I have given Highlands the respect they deserve in every area. This line of conversation has come from Ft. Thomas posters claiming how impressive their 5A run has been since they are at a numbers disadvantage. My contention is that due to their draw area of athletes they have no true numbers disadvantage to any 5A school. Of course, quit complaining and keep working can be considered by some to be an acceptable answer to the points that I have made. A realistic one would be that athletes from multiple areas contribute to the Birds sucess, but that seems to be tough to get out of a Highlands fan's mouth. BTW, don't worry, we will keep working.