The Highlands-Boyle County 2011 Season Opener is Looking Great...!

jbwill2

Why would a kid want to play for Highlands?

Why does almost every HHS freshman football player want to dress varsity after their season is over, knowing that they are going to practice for another whole month, stand on the sidelines in the freezing cold and see limited action?

There are a lot of great areas in Boone, Campbell, and Kenton counties. But maybe a family wanting to have their child in Ft. Thomas has something to do with Ft. Thomas having a great educational system and a great tradition for football. Maybe it has something to do with the players winning the state championship, arriving home in the middle of the night Sunday morning after a long bus ride home, yet going out on their own Monday after school to lift weights, or maybe going out on their own and catching passes and playing tag football during frigid days in December or hot days in June, or maybe it has to do with the FTJFL and the dedication of parents who coach these kids and give up their Saturday to be at the field, or maybe it has to do with the kids playing football together and against each other since the 3rd grade due to the FTJFL, or maybe it has to do with having the best coaching staff in the state who work for peanuts or nothing because of the satisfaction they get out of seeing these kids develop both on and off the football field due to their hard work, or maybe it has to do with the kids knowing how lucky they really are to have such a good coaching staff, or maybe it has to do with forming lifetime friendships with current players and with past players who call or text them before big games and give them tips on how to become better, or maybe it has to do with fund raisers that the athletic department has, or maybe the player moms and their dedication all year long, or maybe it just is enjoyable to a kid to be boo'd by everyone throughout the Commonwealth and southern Ohio, besides the 27,000 people inside of Ft. Thomas.

That may be the longest sentence I've ever read on here.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does almost every HHS freshman football player want to dress varsity after their season is over, knowing that they are going to practice for another whole month, stand on the sidelines in the freezing cold and see limited action?

There are a lot of great areas in Boone, Campbell, and Kenton counties. But maybe a family wanting to have their child in Ft. Thomas has something to do with Ft. Thomas having a great educational system and a great tradition for football. Maybe it has something to do with the players winning the state championship, arriving home in the middle of the night Sunday morning after a long bus ride home, yet going out on their own Monday after school to lift weights, or maybe going out on their own and catching passes and playing tag football during frigid days in December or hot days in June, or maybe it has to do with the FTJFL and the dedication of parents who coach these kids and give up their Saturday to be at the field, or maybe it has to do with the kids playing football together and against each other since the 3rd grade due to the FTJFL, or maybe it has to do with having the best coaching staff in the state who work for peanuts or nothing because of the satisfaction they get out of seeing these kids develop both on and off the football field due to their hard work, or maybe it has to do with the kids knowing how lucky they really are to have such a good coaching staff, or maybe it has to do with forming lifetime friendships with current players and with past players who call or text them before big games and give them tips on how to become better, or maybe it has to do with fund raisers that the athletic department has, or maybe the player moms and their dedication all year long, or maybe it just is enjoyable to a kid to be boo'd by everyone throughout the Commonwealth and southern Ohio, besides the 27,000 people inside of Ft. Thomas.

Or maybe you could take time and read my post before replying with this nonsense...

WHAT does any of this have to do with the fact that Highlands has a set up that allows this to happen, which IS an advantage. Everyone is aware why somone might want to go to Highlands. If you would have bothered to READ the post that you replied to, you would realize everything you said had nothing to do with his point. The point is that Highlands has the lack of draw restraints of a private school with less than a third of the tuition of a private school, which makes it very easy to send your child there. Therefore, dominating 5A hasn't been as impressive as a previous poster felt that it might be.

WHAT does any of this have to do with the fact that Highlands has a set up that allows this to happen, which IS an advantage. Everyone is aware why somone might want to go to Highlands. If you would have bothered to READ the post that you replied to, you would realize everything you said had nothing to do with his point. The point is that Highlands has the lack of draw restraints of a private school with less than a third of the tuition of a private school, which makes it very easy to send your child there. Therefore, dominating 5A hasn't been as impressive as a previous poster felt that it might be.

Any child in the State of KY can pay tuition to ANY public school system that he/she may choose. Have your programs step up and perform. There are more parents choosing to send there kids to Ft. Thomas for school, not athletics. Check with the district and check your facts. Last time I checked the records Highlands is the only 5A champ.

Any child in the State of KY can pay tuition to ANY public school system that he/she may choose. Have your programs step up and perform. There are more parents choosing to send there kids to Ft. Thomas for school, not athletics. Check with the district and check your facts. Last time I checked the records Highlands is the only 5A champ.

That's true in most places, however that is not the case in Boone County.

Check your facts. Not every district accepts tuition students.

I could care less if Boyle plays Ryle. My response was to Hatz post that Boyle played a tough schedule this past year.

My response was that had they played a team the caliber of Highlands or Ryle, that winning streak still wouldn't be intact. Keep in mind, however, that it's MY OPINION so really it amounts to whatever you want it to be.

Highlands respects EVERY opponent from Boyle Co to Scott High School. (No disrespect to Scott).

To be fair, Boyle didn't beat Highlands when they had their VERY GOOD teams such as the past 4 and the ones from the late 90's, early 2000's. You beat Highlands teams that were in down years to Highlands standards.

Keep in mind that the two times Boyle beat Highlands was in a year where Danville also beat Highlands. (2003)

The team Boyle lost to twice was a state championship caliber team. (2004)

Some of the Boyle Co faithful are making it sound as if these two have been playing for years when realistically, they met two years with one team sweeping the other in one of the two years.

Highlands may only be returning 9 starters but you have to understand the type of talent they have in their current junior and soph class that DIDN"T start but saw a lot of time to understand why Highlands and nky fans are so optimistic about next years' team. Don't be fooled by the amount of starters they return. They played around 30-35 different guys on a regular basis.

Add some of the extremely talented sophomores that are coming up to fill in holes here and there on special teams and both sides of the ball, and you're going to see a great Highlands team.

I respect Boyle Co and what they've done over the years. I just think to be the man, you have to beat the man. The last few years Highlands has been one of the top two teams in the state regardless of class.

Your right, it's all speculative.

You cite that Boyle didn't beat Highlands when they were good. Can the same be said for when Highlands defeated Boyle? That was a good team but they were a shadow of the previous five champions and everyone knew that with their eyes open. On the one year argument I guess the best way to examine it (since they only played each other 2 years) is how far did they advance when in the same class.

(Boyle & HHS were in AAA together from 2001 to 2006)

2001 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Cov Cath)

2002 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Rockastle)

2003 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Boyle)

2004 HHS won AAA (Boyle lost to HHS)

2005 Boyle lost to Bullitt East in Regional Final, HHS to Lex Cath same game

2006 Boyle lost to Southwestern in 2nd Round, HHS to Cov Cath same round

That's what they did last time they were in the same class. Could the earlier Rebel teams have competed vs. HHS? I don't know. Neither does anyone else. What is the measure?

I do have a question: How many Division 1 College Schollys have been given to Birds players since '99?

Boyle has seen 8 receive Division 1 scholarships since '99 so there was some pretty good talent on those teams whether they played HHS every year or not.

I'm not trying to say the tradition of excellence of Highlands is less than the Rebels' in this run or even that Boyle is on par. I'm simply stating it's not as far a gap as some seem intent to portray here.

:thumb:

I think the issue is with how prevalent people think it is. I believe someone said earlier this year we had 2 to 4 who didn't grow up in Fort thomas. That's out of 80+ kids. We probably lose more than that to NewCath.
Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, we do lose quite a large percentage of Ft. Thomas kids to NCC. Ft. Thomas has a very large Catholic population. Those families must choose between Highlands and NCC. Some go the public route and some choose NCC for the faith-based education it offers.

And can we please knock off this nonsense that HHS only wins because of out-of-town players. Yes, there have been some families who came to Ft. Thomas from other areas. But their decision to come here is certainly based on more than just football. To suggest otherwise is just absurd. And why would a kid want to play for Highlands anyway? It's because of the tradition of excellence that has been passed down from generations of young men and caoches who were born and raised right here in Ft. Thomas.

(Boyle & HHS were in AAA together from 2001 to 2006)

2001 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Cov Cath)

2002 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Rockastle)

2003 Boyle won AAA (HHS lost to Boyle)

2004 HHS won AAA (Boyle lost to HHS)

2005 Boyle lost to Bullitt East in Regional Final, HHS to Lex Cath same game

2006 Boyle lost to Southwestern in 2nd Round, HHS to Cov Cath same round

Well reasoned argument. Based on these facts, it is clear that Boyle has the advantage for those 6 yrs (which is not a random 6 yr. period -- it is the period where either team had the change to win the same AAA title). We shall see how they fare in 4A from 2011 - ? Looking forward to it.

LW -- your post suggests that "Highlands has a set up that allows this to happen" which other schools do not. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way. Birdesye states the case very well in the next post that ANY public school CAN have the same setup. Some schools (including Boone Co. where population growth presumably precludes tuition students because they can barely fit the students they are obligated by law to educate into their buildings) choose not to do so.

Are you saying it is an UNFAIR advantage that HHS has created an academic, athletic and other environment that people want to come there OR just that it is AN advantage? If the former, I disagree. If the latter, I say "I agree and we are dang proud of that advantage and seek to make it more attractive each and every day."

I have not dog in the fight for either team. However, it was very noticable this year watching both teams play that Highlands had far superior team speed over Boyle. IMO, it will be a long night for Boyle playing Highlands early in the season.

Wow. Uh oh. We have never played a team with superior team speed than us before. You may be right. We have never played any teams that are bigger, faster or stronger than us. Man, I sure hope our coaches know what we are up against.:rolleyes::isurrender: