Political Quotes

Thought it might be fun to put up some political quotes and see if folks know or can guess who said them.

"It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now ... Cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus."

I've always liked this one.

It's no accident that most of these terrorists come from non-democratic countries. If you live in a country where you're never required to take responsibility for yourself, where you never even have to ask whether there's something you should be doing to solve your own problems, then people are kept in a kind of a permanent state of collective immaturity and it becomes quite easy for them to believe that someone else's success is the cause of their distress.

Here's three I like (from the same guy)...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

Here's a good one.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

I actually only knew the first one. D.D.E.

I would have guessed Ben Franklin for the third one.

Seems like one of the founding fathers did say something along that lines, if not exactly. Or, like you, that's what I thought at least. Perhaps DDE borrowed it...but I found it in a list of quotes by him.

If there are men in this country big enough to own the government of the United States, they are going to own it.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.

Same guy on both.