Scott High Freshman - turning the corner?

With a Pee Wee feeder system, kids not starting to play football until they are in the 8th/9th grade, how is it they are so competitive? Coaching? Some say Beechwood is "slipping". Are they truly slipping or are they in reality playing 1A football? I do not see other 1A schools playing Cov Cath, Dixie and to top it off Highlands at the varsity level as well as a Freshman team that lost to Cooper in the championship game of the mid level division last year and won the championship in the "big school" level the prior year.

Edited by GridironGang

This Freshman team is very talented. Big and physical. Line play is a little rough around the edges buy once they smooth out those edges, look out. Gonna be fun to watch over the next 3 + years.

And if this happens, it will be great for not only Scott High School but for Kenton County schools as well. Success means rivalries which fills stands and makes a little more money for the schools.

Let's hope so. It would be nice to see a team that has had its share of struggles come out on top.

And if this happens, it will be great for not only Scott High School but for Kenton County schools as well. Success means rivalries which fills stands and makes a little more money for the schools.

Clyde, maybe I should not speak for The Big Coach, but maybe getting the new field could bring some excitement into some other kids wanting to play.

Scott loses kids to Dixie, SK, CCH, and HC. Only HC lacks turf.

If a kid is not playing football today due to real grass he's probably not someone you want to count on.

This is becoming a myth. I'm not sure about CCH but over the past 3 years, I only know of one kid going on to play for Dixie (for football reasons), one kid playing at HC (not sure it has anything to do with football) and no kids going on to play for SK. The problem with Scott is kids who play middle school and Freshman choosing not to play varsity. I do think the new facilities will help.

This is becoming a myth. I'm not sure about CCH but over the past 3 years, I only know of one kid going on to play for Dixie (for football reasons), one kid playing at HC (not sure it has anything to do with football) and no kids going on to play for SK. The problem with Scott is kids who play middle school and Freshman choosing not to play varsity. I do think the new facilities will help.

Actually I can name no fewer than 6 kids at SK in the 2013 class alone that live in Scott's school district. Some of the big reasons for them choosing to go to SK does revolve around the athletic facilities. I'm not sure of the Kenton Cnty School district policies but they def. have placed them at a competitive disadvantage. SK has adopted the South Kenton Youth football teams and the coaches have planted themselves heavily in Summit View for both Football and Basketball. This school is supposedly a split school but when kids are around certain coaches and play at SK's field and basketball in their gymnasium (keep in mind Scott doesn't have the practice gym Dixie and SK does) then that is what they become accustomed too. Guess what school they will choose?

If a kid is not playing football today due to real grass he's probably not someone you want to count on.

Could not agree more, I guess I should have said the new facilities.

Scott looked very impressive. The guys on the line were big and mobile, #21 is stud running back, #12 a very good quarterback that can run and pass but #3 was my favorite. I think his name was Josh Castleman. Smallest kid on the field but to me he had the biggest impact. Could run the ball but defensively he could hit and make excellent one on one tackles.

Congrats Eagles