Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If UK has to vacate a season under Calipari...

Featured Replies

How do you believe Cal could have handled the Camby situation differently?

 

Gone to a different NBA team besides the Nets.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Changed his name to Coach Krzyzewski, that way when the NCAA found out that one of his players accepted money from a agent, nobody would have cared.

 

:ohbrother:. If only there was the sleepy icon still.

I gave you my thoughts on that in post #44. If you take a chance on them, don't complain if it goes bad. Nowhere near a perfect answer, but we aren't dealing with a perfect system so you must do what you can given the guidelines you are forced to play in.

 

And what happens to the kids once every team decides it's not worth it? Even if the kid really didn't do anything. Why does the NCAA even both with declaring these kids eligible if 12 months later they just wave their wand and completely wipe away a teams season. If the NCAA wants to cry they only have 55 employees to check 90,000 transcripts then that's their problem but it sounds like to me they need to hire more people.

But isn't it as much Cal's job as Sandy Bell's to ensure his players are in compliance with NCAA rules. And if not how many seasons does Cal have to forfeit before he should start paying attention and knowing these things about his players?

 

Please be honest and tell me if you have great disdain for Coach Cal. You are always trying to shoulder ANY program issues on Cal's shoulders. There are numerous responsibilities involved in a major NCAA sports program such as UK basketball. You want to put so many responsibilities on him and I think you are not being realistic. I am sure that Cal has a prospect's transcripts reviewed by Sandy Bell's office prior to getting to involved with any prospective athlete. If this was Cal's job, why does UK pay Sandy Bell six figures to do her's? You always are saying that Cal should have known this or that, and you seem to forget that he was hired to coach bb, not be a compliance officer. Let's say I am the GM of a large plant that manufactures widgets, and I have a QC director and we get some defective parts that forces us to recall 100K widgets. Is it my fault that our QC director did not do his job? I know I bare the responsibility, but whose is at fault? Someone has to be held accountable at the end of the day, and it's not Cal.

I agree on the smoke & fire analogy, but my whole point is the lack of consistency w/ the NCAA. It is factual that Cal has had two FF's stripped because of a player being deemed ineligible after the season was over. That's fine with me, so long as the NCAA is consistent with that kind of decision-making, but it clearly is not when you look at the Maggette & Arthur cases--both of which would have stripped wins & final fours from Duke and Kansas respectively.

 

Preech on brutha!

So again, what happens to players with question marks? Do they just not get to play college ball because everyone is afraid the NCAA will later do their job and find what they should have found before they ruled them elligible?

 

People seem to forget that Bledsoe was originally headed to UC...he couldn't get in there so Cal and UK took him.

I will ask the question Dick Vitale posed to a tv audience on Derrick Rose: What coach wouldn't play Rose when he had been cleared by the NCAA to play college basketball? Can you imagine having him sitting on the bench, cleared to play and just sitting on the bench? It was very interesting question or two although I have been told a coach must know better; it still seemed to be a good question.

I will ask the question Dick Vitale posed to a tv audience on Derrick Rose: What coach wouldn't play Rose when he had been cleared by the NCAA to play college basketball? Can you imagine having him sitting on the bench, cleared to play and just sitting on the bench? It was very interesting question or two although I have been told a coach must know better; it still seemed to be a good question.

 

Agree. If the NCAA clearinghouse clears the player why would a coach not play them.

 

To me the NCAA is to blame for most of these eligibility cases. If they clear them they can't blame the coaches or the university for letting them play.

I will ask the question Dick Vitale posed to a tv audience on Derrick Rose: What coach wouldn't play Rose when he had been cleared by the NCAA to play college basketball? Can you imagine having him sitting on the bench, cleared to play and just sitting on the bench? It was very interesting question or two although I have been told a coach must know better; it still seemed to be a good question.

 

While I'm not a UK fan at all I think this makes a good point.. This is gonna be hard to swallow. UK should recieve no punishment at all if the NCAA cleared him. Its not Cal and UK's fault, the blame is all on the NCAA.

Agree. If the NCAA clearinghouse clears the player why would a coach not play them.

 

To me the NCAA is to blame for most of these eligibility cases. If they clear them they can't blame the coaches or the university for letting them play.

 

Ummm that's where you're wrong, because according to HT721 if that's how this played out then everyone would just try to cheat to beat the clearinghouse and blame it on their incompetency which is the consensus problem but apparently not the right way to go about things.

While I'm not a UK fan at all I think this makes a good point.. This is gonna be hard to swallow. UK should recieve no punishment at all if the NCAA cleared him. Its not Cal and UK's fault, the blame is all on the NCAA.

 

:thumb: I know that was hard, but it was either this thread or another that I basically said the same thing as you when HT721 said "what if it was UL?"

 

To which I said about the same as you and said I'm sure they'll be more careful and still continue to follow what the NCAA says is "ok" as far as players being "eligible" It's not like Cal's ever played a guy that wasn't ruled eligible. Perhaps the NCAA needs a new departments called powerhouse programs and pro players to be, where they can "really investigate" these situations. I swear the NCAA is a joke.

:ohbrother:. If only there was the sleepy icon still.

 

Do you honestly believe Duke didn't receive preferential treatment from the NCAA in regards to the Maggette situation? Not a confrontational question, but just seeking your opinion, since you gave, what I believe, to be a fair analysis in post #69.

Until society stops catering to the athlete just because they are an athlete...this will be never ending.

 

I agree, TD.

 

It's hard to blame a coach for playing a kid who has been cleared to play. At some point we must find a way to hold the athletes who are allowing grades to be changed, accepting gifts and talking to agents accountable.

And what happens to the kids once every team decides it's not worth it? Even if the kid really didn't do anything. Why does the NCAA even both with declaring these kids eligible if 12 months later they just wave their wand and completely wipe away a teams season. If the NCAA wants to cry they only have 55 employees to check 90,000 transcripts then that's their problem but it sounds like to me they need to hire more people.

 

My guess is that there will always be someone out there that will take a chance on the kid...I'm not saying I agree with the set up at all. I'm just saying that if that is the rule, you have to play by it. I think we all agree that they need more employees and completely revamp the organization...my point is as UK fans, we are going to worry about this becasue Cal will recruit the best every year.

Changed his name to Coach Krzyzewski, that way when the NCAA found out that one of his players accepted money from a agent, nobody would have cared.

 

We have a winner! :lol::thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.