September 14, 201016 yr Big-Time sanctions are the only way Cal gets let go IMO. If the Bledsoe stuff ends up going badly, I don't think that is a reason to fire him.
September 14, 201016 yr I don't know the DUKE situation very well. Nor do I really know Bledsoe or Kanter. A lot of this stuff comes down to what specific documents say and what the actual evidence is. One thing I do know that most might not about the NCAA is that when you appeal a decision from the eligibility center the appeal is heard by AD's and Compliance officers from other NCAA schools not in your conference. So at least on appeal any school has a more sympathetic audience in these situations than what most think of the NCAA. I surely hope you don't believe this, especially when it comes to UK. Let's stop the naivety. Please.
September 14, 201016 yr How can you hold Cal responsible for some kid who is desperate to play in college and manipulates grades in high school to make that happen. IMO, Cal has/had nothing to do with the Bledsoe situation. Now, on the other hand, Sandy Bell might have reason for concern. I am sure she has to give the green light on all athletes at UK.
September 14, 201016 yr I surely hope you don't believe this, especially when it comes to UK. Let's stop the naivety. Please. Sure they are, other schools are typically more sympathetic than the NCAA they like to avoid setting precedents that might hurt them later. Also the appealing school can request schools they feel would be biased of them be removed from the appeals committee.
September 14, 201016 yr Yes, because I guarantee you the booster is banned, and they're looking alot harder at Louisville next year. Should've done a better job the first time, you can't catch them all. So encourage schools to intentionally try and cheat and just hope they don't get caught then? Because that's what your answer would lead to.
September 14, 201016 yr If Kentucky is forced to vacate a season, Calipari & Kentucky will part ways. My guess is that it would be done behind the scenes & the decision would be mutual. With that said, I don't think the Bledsoe situation poses any threat to last season's record.
September 14, 201016 yr So encourage schools to intentionally try and cheat and just hope they don't get caught then? Because that's what your answer would lead to. No it would lead to the NCAA being more efficient which they're currently lacking. An NCAA decision, other than a "negative" ruling, means just about nothing any more. It's garbage. The whole program is a complete joke.
September 14, 201016 yr If Kentucky is forced to vacate a season, Calipari & Kentucky will part ways. My guess is that it would be done behind the scenes & the decision would be mutual. With that said, I don't think the Bledsoe situation poses any threat to last season's record. ...as we saw with KU and Arthur.
September 14, 201016 yr If Kentucky is forced to vacate a season, Calipari & Kentucky will part ways. My guess is that it would be done behind the scenes & the decision would be mutual. With that said, I don't think the Bledsoe situation poses any threat to last season's record. I agree. If wins are vacated, then so is the UK basketball coaching position I would assume.
September 14, 201016 yr No it would lead to the NCAA being more efficient which they're currently lacking. An NCAA decision, other than a "negative" ruling, means just about nothing any more. It's garbage. The whole program is a complete joke. I don't really think the NCAA isn't being efficient. I mean you hear about what a maximum of 5 to 10 issues out of 90,000 a year. That is pretty effective to me. And it's never meant anything more schools were always subject to punishment if new evidence comes to light. But to tell schools that so long as you don't get caught in the initial review you are clear leads to schools intentionally trying to mislead the ncaa because they will know once they escape the first round they are good no matter what happened.
September 14, 201016 yr I don't know the DUKE situation very well. Nor do I really know Bledsoe or Kanter. A lot of this stuff comes down to what specific documents say and what the actual evidence is. One thing I do know that most might not about the NCAA is that when you appeal a decision from the eligibility center the appeal is heard by AD's and Compliance officers from other NCAA schools not in your conference. So at least on appeal any school has a more sympathetic audience in these situations than what most think of the NCAA. Well, here's what you need to know. The Maggette situation was a federal investigation of Myron Piggie (the guy who gave Cory the money), and Maggette admitted that he received cash. Below is the link for that, and the article also states that Duke "will almost certainly" have to vacate its runner-up finish in the 1999 tournament. http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles%202000/CommentDukeMagrette.htm Here's another one that talks about how Coach K expected and even encouraged punishment if Maggette indeed had accepted money: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketba/skm/sktmfs09.htm Here's Dan Wetzel's article summarizing the whole thing, and I've included a quote that again calls for Duke's need to be stripped of victories/FF appearance: http://www.cbssports.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,5384713,00.html The Piggie scandal even reached its dirty tentacles into the once-pristine world of Mike Krzyzewski's Duke Blue Devils. If the NCAA truly believed in equal punishment for all members, it should vacate Duke's 1999 national runner-up finish from the books for playing the ineligible Corey Maggette. Long story short, Maggette=Marcus Camby & Derrick Rose as far as violating amateur status goes. However, Maggette does not=Camby & Derrick Rose when it comes to punishment. Why no punishment for Duke? That's my beef with the whole thing. The NCAA is in bed with Duke and no one has been able to prove otherwise.
September 14, 201016 yr Depends on the circumstances and the case. It's impossible, IMO, to make a blanet statement of what will (or should) happen without knowing the story. For example: Umass' issues were behind Calipari's back with money to one player. Derrick Rose was cleared and then later said, "No you are not." In each of those I don't hold Cal responsible. I agree.
September 14, 201016 yr If smoke keeps appearing eventually you have to start wondering where the fire is coming from? Last I saw Pitino was the only coach to take 3 different schools to the final four, Cal could join that list but the difference is Pitino has never given his back. I doubt any coach has ever vacated 3 final fours let alone at 3 different schools. What if other houses have smoke, but they never called the fire department? UCLA and the aforementioned Duke and Kansas cases come to mind. BTW, as far as vacating or being caught, Larry Brown comes to mind readily. (see UCLA & Kansas) :thumb:
September 14, 201016 yr Author Here's another question: in only Calipari's first season with UK the issue of an eligibility violation has already come up, with yet another one looming on the horizon with the Turkish player. Should UK fans prepare themselves for having to worry about these things every single year?
September 14, 201016 yr Here's another question: in only Calipari's first season with UK the issue of an eligibility violation has already come up, with yet another one looming on the horizon with the Turkish player. Should UK fans prepare themselves for having to worry about these things every single year? Your reaching big time. Kanter situation is nothing like Bledsoes.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.