Ballard 26 Jeffersonville, IN 12 (Frosh)

CoachJ

Unlike in Northern Ky., playing on a Saturday is a very unique thing in Louisville area. For my program, I tell our kids the priorities are 1. Faith 2. Family 3. Schoolwork 4. Football. We had a couple of kids who had FAMILY obligations and FAITH obligations. One of our more elite kids only sees one of his parents on an occasional weekend and that's very important to him not to miss out on that.

I know some of you at the top programs will think that's a 'weakness' for me not to require them to play, but that's the way it is done at Ballard.

For Jeff, upon talking to Bob Redmon Saturday, I found out that in Indiana they have a '5 quarters rule' -- meaning a student may only play in 5 quarters of action in any given week. They start a few freshmen on Varsity and since they were already at their limit, could not play.

A nice by-product is that, since we won, it reinforces our overall teaching that no single individual is more important than the TEAM. I really saw yesterday several kids that normally would have played less step their game up a few notches to make up for the player(s) that couldn't be there.