Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stadium Pictures

Featured Replies

That old pic of Newport is awesome!

  • Replies 156
  • Views 42.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

Posted Images

Newport (1940)

 

.attachment.php?attachmentid=32292&d=1281988269

 

And Newport 70 years later

 

Newport Stadium, 2010

Woodford County

 

.cs.jpg

 

I played in a JV game on that field back in the late 70's and I think it looks the same as it did back then. :lol:

I played in a JV game on that field back in the late 70's and I think it looks the same as it did back then. :lol:

 

I was thinking Woodford's stadium is new-ish. Am I wrong? I know this stadium is at the community park. There is what appears to be a former football field with a track surrounding it at the high school.

I was thinking Woodford's stadium is new-ish. Am I wrong? I know this stadium is at the community park. There is what appears to be a former football field with a track surrounding it at the high school.

 

I thought the field looked awful in the picture. Thus my comment. If it's a new field/place, they need to re-evaluate IMO.

Someone posted the Woodford pic in another thread, I copied it from there. Maybe it is their old field. ????

Someone posted the Woodford pic in another thread, I copied it from there. Maybe it is their old field. ????

 

The picture is their current field. I was just there last Friday night.

Belfry Staduim is just down right awsome!

I am honestly not trying to start something. Anyone that takes it in that direction should be blamed for doing so. I am simply looking for an answer to use as guidance for others (if repeatable).

 

How did the School Board, community, parents and students at Belfry get such strong facilities? Did they save up capital expenditures and do it all at once to get the benefit of economies of scale? Was there a public / private partnership? Are there naming rights on anything (stadium, baseball field, auditorium, classrooms, lunchroom, etc.)? Did they make solid investments or own land that appreciated in value?

 

Interested in factual answers, not political diatribes.

Trinity

 

.attachment.php?attachmentid=32264&d=1281321031

 

Not able to seen in this pic is the coolest thing about the field. There's nary an X anywhere on the field. :D

I am honestly not trying to start something. Anyone that takes it in that direction should be blamed for doing so. I am simply looking for an answer to use as guidance for others (if repeatable).

 

How did the School Board, community, parents and students at Belfry get such strong facilities? Did they save up capital expenditures and do it all at once to get the benefit of economies of scale? Was there a public / private partnership? Are there naming rights on anything (stadium, baseball field, auditorium, classrooms, lunchroom, etc.)? Did they make solid investments or own land that appreciated in value?

 

Interested in factual answers, not political diatribes.

I'll answer as completely as I can jpa.

 

Belfry's old school was the one they had occupied since the early 40's and they were in need of a new school. Anyone who had traveled to Belfry High School prior to 2005 can attest to the very poor facilities. And the athletic facilities were, to say the least, substandard. The Pike County School Board has 5 high schools and 20 middle, elementary and alternative schools to oversee. So funding has to be spread around.

 

Belfry was the oldest school in the county and the PCBOE had Belfry on the list to receive a new school for several years. The property was purchased and construction on the school and grounds was completed in time for the 2005 school year.

 

The BOE could not afford to install turf on their football field. So a group of dedicated boosters began efforts to raise the money to build the football stadium that you see in the pictures. Through corporate donations from CAM Mining and Massey Energy (which came with naming rights) as well as private donations from business and individuals this group raised over $600,000. This was more than enough to put Field Turf on the field. These donations paid for all the excavation, substructure, drainage, underlayment, etc. on the field, which saved the school board hundreds of thousands of dollars in construction costs. (estimates are at least $175,000 to construct a grass or sod football field). These savings allowed for the construction of the Football Complex building you see just beyond the end zone closest to the school.

 

We got lucky in that we were able to strike while the iron was hot. Belfry had just won back to back football championships and interest was really high at the time. A lot of Belfry graduates were more than happy to pitch in on the project, as well as many, many local businesses and other individuals. I don't know if we could have raised anywhere near that amount in todays economy.

 

Is this what you were looking for?

 

Oh boy, get ready. LOL!!!
Not at all, I understand where he is coming from and IMO it is a fair question.
Highlands

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=24221&d=1220992723

If this Birds' nest is a-rockin' don't come a-knockin'!!!

 

I don't know what possessed me to write that.

If this Birds' nest is a-rockin' don't come a-knockin'!!!

 

I don't know what possessed me to write that.

 

Maybe a really bad 80's flashback? Next phase is a mullet, be careful!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.