Moerlin Lager House in Cincinnati

ColonelCrazy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself a moderately (VERY serious in regards to bourbon) serious beer snob and I have never heard of Moerlein.

As far as I know, Christian Moerlein hasn't made much effort as of yet to advertise outside of the Cincinnati area. Moerlein is a revival of the original German traditional brewery in the US.

Christian Moerlein came to Cincinnati from from Bavaria in the 1840's, and started his brewery in Over-The-Rhine in 1853, and became the first American brewery to brew its beer in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot Bavarian purity laws of 1516. They made beer out of their OTR brewery until the prohibition forced them to close. Hudepohl-Schoenling purchased the brand from the Moerlein family descendants and started making it again around 1981, and then they dropped the brand around 2002, shortly before their entire company was sold out of Cincinnati and dropped from production.

A businessman by the name of Greg Hardmann (a Pittsburgh native, I believe) moved to Cincinnati shortly after Hudepohl-Schoenling closed its doors, and was shocked to find that Cincinnati, an old-school brewery town, was no longer brewing any beer in its city limits, and he went about buying back all of the rights to the Christian Moerlein beers, and eventually all of the Hudepohl-Schoenling beers. He's been having them brewed in Pittsburgh due to lack of location in Cincy, but now he's working on the Moerlein Brewhaus which will brew all of the beer for its own location, and they are also about to bid out the renovation and remodel of a facility in Over-The-Rhine to begin making it again where it all started.

• 4 months later...

I was at the Reds game on Sunday and it was the first time I thought to look over and check on the construction progress at the Lager House. An August opening just ain't happening.

If they're just now setting structural steel, that place won't be open for another 8 months. They're going to be trying to get closed in once the cold weather sets in, and they'll be stuck dealing all winter temporary heat (and temporary heat bill that I'll bet wasn't budgeted). Man I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that chewing out. Tsk-tsk-tsk.

I was at the Reds game on Sunday and it was the first time I thought to look over and check on the construction progress at the Lager House. An August opening just ain't happening.

If they're just now setting structural steel, that place won't be open for another 8 months. They're going to be trying to get closed in once the cold weather sets in, and they'll be stuck dealing all winter temporary heat (and temporary heat bill that I'll bet wasn't budgeted). Man I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that chewing out. Tsk-tsk-tsk.

I think they are targeting August 2012.