Gallatin County Lady Wildcats

First, let me say that I have absolutely no inside information regarding this news item. But it is extra difficult, in my opinion, for a young female coach to make the ever-increasing sacrificial commitments of time and energy to the coaching profession. Geez, it's very tough on men too.

The demands are exponentially increasing with stat reports required, spring and fall out-of-season coordination of activities, summer games and skill development, AAU stuff ... and the list goes on and on. School administrators are in most cases not at all aware, not understanding or unsympathetic (choose one, two or all three that apply) to these rapidly increasing demands on the coach. Plus if there are any high-maintenance players and parents, multiply the problem several more times.

It appears that there is no help on the horizon. As a result, expect for AAU to increase in significance to college recruiters, as qualified and intelligent teachers who are potentially excellent coaches continue to decline to coach.

Good luck, Coach Roberts, we wish you the best of luck as you move forward.

:dancingpa

First, let me say that I have absolutely no inside information regarding this news item. But it is extra difficult, in my opinion, for a young female coach to make the ever-increasing sacrificial commitments of time and energy to the coaching profession. Geez, it's very tough on men too.

The demands are exponentially increasing with stat reports required, spring and fall out-of-season coordination of activities, summer games and skill development, AAU stuff ... and the list goes on and on. School administrators are in most cases not at all aware, not understanding or unsympathetic (choose one, two or all three that apply) to these rapidly increasing demands on the coach. Plus if there are any high-maintenance players and parents, multiply the problem several more times.

It appears that there is no help on the horizon. As a result, expect for AAU to increase in significance to college recruiters, as qualified and intelligent teachers who are potentially excellent coaches continue to decline to coach.

Not sure where you are going with this. Your first paragraph leads me to believe that Coach Roberts didn't want to put the time in that it takes. I'm sure that's not the case here. Coach Roberts is a no nonsense type of coach. I have been to some of her practices, not to mention that my daughter played for her. A nice coaching career although short. An 8th Region All "A" Championship and runner-up.

As far as who would step in, Coach Andrew Calland the current JV coach would be the most likely candidate.

We want to wish Holly the best in what she decides to do.

WELL SAID !!! Let me also add (as a classroom teacher) you would not believe the last 18 months in the classroom. There is a ton that has come down which requires even more of a coaches time. Building a quality program is very difficult and I feel for smaller districts.

I would've thought that if there was anybody that would have been aware, understanding and sympathetic to what coaches go through, it would be Gallatin County's Superintendent. After all, Dot Perkins was a coach herself (and actually was the one at the helm during Holly's playing days).

Have to say this one caught me by surprise. But, I wish Holly the best.

The reality is Principals and School Districts get measured by Test Scores not basketball wins. While a Principal or Superintendent might want to be sympathetic toward coaches the reality is that they are going to push every teacher in the building to be a great teacher because that is what they are measured on as administrators. Tough to be a good teacher and a good coach, there are time constraints on both. In the meantime you have to be a good spouse and parent. Very hard juggling act for anyone!

Do anyone know who GC is wanting to hire to step in and coach? Are they wanting and experienced head coach or a young energetic head coach who may not have as much experience?

I have heard several names of experienced coaches from around the 8th Region. Both current and former coaches. One is currently coaching an AAU team with GC ties, and another is a head coach of a neigboring county school so it looks like they are looking for someone with experience who can make an impact right away.

I have heard several names of experienced coaches from around the 8th Region. Both current and former coaches. One is currently coaching an AAU team with GC ties, and another is a head coach of a neigboring county school so it looks like they are looking for someone with experience who can make an impact right away.

Have these experienced coaches actually applied?

Rumor is Corey Highfield resigned at Ludlow. He has Ties to the community in Gallatin County I believe. Could he be the NKY guys coach??

Cory did resign at Ludlow, but is not giving up his AD duties. Cory taught at Gallatin County for a while (actually had two of my kids in class). Don't think this is your NKY coach.

On the other hand, another NKY girls coach has reportedly resigned in Shannon Minor at Holy Cross.

Maybe???

Mack.....what are you hearing??