Update: Elijah Pittman (Holmes)

Just saw the following on Ryan Ernst blog, for those who were wondering about his college plans:

Holmes boys’ basketball coach David Henley said senior Elijah Pittman will be visiting junior colleges in the next couple weeks. I’ve talked to several people in the know that said Pittman, for what it’s worth, can have his pick of any JUCO in the country. I’ll buy that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the following on Ryan Ernst blog, for those who were wondering about his college plans:

Holmes boys’ basketball coach David Henley said senior Elijah Pittman will be visiting junior colleges in the next couple weeks. I’ve talked to several people in the know that said Pittman, for what it’s worth, can have his pick of any JUCO in the country. I’ll buy that.

No kidding.:lol:

It's good to hear that he's going to continue playing and even better that he is continuing to get educated at an upper level. It just drives me nuts to see that he was allowed to remain a sub par academic student with above average athleticism. All the people surrounding that program that brag about his high scoring games and superfly dunks should have been in his head forcing him to be a better student. Maintaining a "C" average/2.0 GPA is not hard if you just attend class and apply yourself. I know some of you will take offense to my post, but it needs to be driven home that we not only support the kids athletically, but also academically.

Please tell me..........what is the job description of the Guidance Counselors in schools today?

It's good to hear that he's going to continue playing and even better that he is continuing to get educated at an upper level. It just drives me nuts to see that he was allowed to remain a sub par academic student with above average athleticism. All the people surrounding that program that brag about his high scoring games and superfly dunks should have been in his head forcing him to be a better student. Maintaining a "C" average/2.0 GPA is not hard if you just attend class and apply yourself. I know some of you will take offense to my post, but it needs to be driven home that we not only support the kids athletically, but also academically.

Please tell me..........what is the job description of the Guidance Counselors in schools today?

I totally agree 100%. It literally was harder for me to get a D in high school than a B or an A. All you have to do is go to class and do the work, whether you do it correctly or incorrectly, if you do it, you will get a decent grade. There's no excuse for a sub 2.0 gpa in high school.

^^^ If I was a JUCO coach I would definitely have interest in Pittman. A 6'7 forward that's decently athletic would be on my radar.

That's an understatement. Pittman is probably the most athletic kid in the state.

As far as his academics go, I've heard that he improved tremendously his senior year. It was the prior years that hurt his chances of playing at a D1 program. That's neither here, nor there though, and probably not appropriate to discuss on a public forum.

FWIW, I do agree with you though as far as your stance goes when it comes to athletes today.

I've also heard that there are several high major D1 coaches that are trying to put in place the resources needed for Elijah to succeed at the next level and then one day end up in a D1 program.

I totally agree 100%. It literally was harder for me to get a D in high school than a B or an A. All you have to do is go to class and do the work, whether you do it correctly or incorrectly, if you do it, you will get a decent grade. There's no excuse for a sub 2.0 gpa in high school.

To be fair...there are some circumstances that Elijah faces that the "average" high school student doesn't have to deal with.

I'll leave it at that but there's more to the story than a lot of people know.

That's an understatement. Pittman is probably the most athletic kid in the state.

Holy Cow. Let's be happy for the kid and leave it at that. Good grief, your allegiance is great, but let's try to slip slowly back into reality here.:ohbrother:

Holy Cow. Let's be happy for the kid and leave it at that. Good grief, your allegiance is great, but let's try to slip slowly back into reality here.:ohbrother:

I simply made a statement that many who have seen him would agree with...what's wrong with that? :confused:

I simply made a statement that many who have seen him would agree with...what's wrong with that? :confused:

Come on Walter, have you seen all the kids in the state? He's a fine player, and we all wish him well but let's not make him out to be something he's not. I hope he gets his academia in order and get's his education paid for. If that's at a high level, sobeit and we'll all root for him to do so. I wish him luck.

As far as his academics go, I've heard that he improved tremendously his senior year. It was the prior years that hurt his chances of playing at a D1 program. That's neither here, nor there though, and probably not appropriate to discuss on a public forum.

FWIW, I do agree with you though as far as your stance goes when it comes to athletes today.

I've also heard that there are several high major D1 coaches that are trying to put in place the resources needed for Elijah to succeed at the next level and then one day end up in a D1 program.

The issue is that he's been eligible to be on a high school team for how many consecutive years without any known grade suspensions, but all of sudden, he can't qualify for any NCAA levels? Apparently someone had him on the wrong track; hence my question about guidance counseling. I think with the right guidance, leadership and some maturing, we could possibly see him in a succesfull DI program, but they have let it slip so far behind, it's going to be harder on him mentally to get up to that level. He's got work to do on and off the court and I wish the best for him.