Newport Central Catholic / Boone County 3/4 Predictions

Who wins this matchup?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Newport Central Catholic
    • Boone County

For the past two years of there varsity time the players dont like how he coaches. He has had so much talent though it seems like his style is working. With McQueary its if you get in and do good you stay in. but miss one shot or have a bad play you come right out. It just seems he doesnt give these kids a shot at what they can do because their affaid to make a mistake.

Ok - they do not like his style, but they lived with it for two years? By quiting with two weeks left, was that an attempt to get back at the coach, or their team mates? The coach will be back next year with a new team - The other seniors on the team - this is their last shot - who do you think is more upset????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you havent noticed yet losing schultz and popp has played a big part into there lack of scoring. Without popp driving the lane it has become tougher for boone to create more open shots. Both these kids left due to McQuearys coaching style. Hopefully mikey can shut down grant tomorrow night and have a big win over NCC.

i would say Boone over Ncc by 6.

Also without popp having at least 15 against Ryle both games played, was a major contributer to the loss. But Mitch as a heck of a game and would love to see him down in state.

IMO I don't think their absence is missed as much on the offensive side as it is on the defensive side. The two have nothing to do with the production of or lack thereof from key players in the past two games.

Right now, there's no varsity level experienced relief for Gabbard at the point, and Gabbard now has to lay off slightly defensively to protect himself from foul trouble. Kids need to learn the concept of "Role Player", not everyone is going to be made happy (trust me on that one), but you have to accept your role and perform when called upon. Now the Rebels will have to rely on some jv kids to be those role players and if they can spare a couple of minutes here and there and not suffer tremendously then Boone still has a chance at anyone, and I would love see them avenge the missed layup that could have sent them to Rupp last year.

It was for them. truely a selfish move I agree but I can quote Schulze on saying " its not worth three hour practices five days a week to only get in for twenty seconds." He said this to me after the Holmes game which was the last one he played in before he left. Very selfish but I can understand. Should not have waited till two weeks left in the season I also agree on. But its ultimently why keep playing if its no longer fun?

Edited by mcpapa
Rule 13

it was for them. truely a selfish move i agree but i can quote schulze on saying " its not worth three hour practices five days a week to only get in for twenty seconds." He said this to me after the holmes game which was the last one he played in before he left. Very selfish but i can understand. Should not have waited till two weeks left in the season i also agree on. but its ultimently why keep playing if its no longer fun?

My answer to the why keep playing comment is one that I was told many times over the years, and that is you make a committment to be part of a team when you sign on. Your coach, team and even fans to an extent are expecting you to play to the best of your abilities, and to help the team do its best. By quiting at anytime after you accept the committment, you are letting your team down, and hurting their chance at being its best. That is why you finish what you started.

My answer to the why keep playing comment is one that I was told many times over the years, and that is you make a committment to be part of a team when you sign on. Your coach, team and even fans to an extent are expecting you to play to the best of your abilities, and to help the team do its best. By quiting at anytime after you accept the committment, you are letting your team down, and hurting their chance at being its best. That is why you finish what you started.

Very well put :thumb:

:thumb::thumb: Well said King!!!

IMO I don't think their absence is missed as much on the offensive side as it is on the defensive side. The two have nothing to do with the production of or lack thereof from key players in the past two games.

Right now, there's no varsity level experienced relief for Gabbard at the point, and Gabbard now has to lay off slightly defensively to protect himself from foul trouble. Kids need to learn the concept of "Role Player", not everyone is going to be made happy (trust me on that one), but you have to accept your role and perform when called upon. Now the Rebels will have to rely on some jv kids to be those role players and if they can spare a couple of minutes here and there and not suffer tremendously then Boone still has a chance at anyone, and I would love see them avenge the missed layup that could have sent them to Rupp last year.

:thumb: Good point!

:thumb: Another good point!

:thumb: Third good point!

As far as the JV kids comment goes. I agree, if these two QUIT at Thanksgiving or even Christmas (since I am sure they were frustrated then as well with the coaching style), it at least allows the TEAM to work with a new lineup, substitutions, experience, etc.. Yeah, quitting at the end of the season gets back at your coach alright, however, doesn't really endear yourself to your FORMER teammates and I'm sure friends!!!

:thumb: Good point!

:thumb: Another good point!

:thumb: Third good point!

As far as the JV kids comment goes. I agree, if these two QUIT at Thanksgiving or even Christmas (since I am sure they were frustrated then as well with the coaching style), it at least allows the TEAM to work with a new lineup, substitutions, experience, etc.. Yeah, quitting at the end of the season gets back at your coach alright, however, doesn't really endear yourself to your FORMER teammates and I'm sure friends!!!

That's the sad part. I hope they're able to remain somewhat in a respectable relationship with their teammates because in the end they are the ones that are part of their everyday life in school and out of school, not the coach.

Any final thoughts on this game? It should be a great night of basketball with this game being the marquee matchup of the first round. I think Boone is going to pull off the upset. I believe one or two of the players from their undefeated JV team is going to make some plays tonight and the team is going to rally together in the face of adversity to get a big win.