Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tennessee 74 Kentucky 65

Featured Replies

Here is my question: Why can't guys like Wall and Bledsoe (and numerous players from other teams) who have the ability to be excellent offensive back court players use those same physical skills to be excellent defensive players? I am not talking about swiping a pass here and there or blocking a layup. I'm talking about getting low and not letting a dribbler get by you, about not geting back-doored, about help defense, etc. To me it seems obvious that these are the kinds of plays that win you games yet many of the physically gifted players refuse or are otherwise unable to play serviceable defense. Why is this?
They do play great defense, but not all of the time. That's the problem. This team plays lazy at times.
  • Replies 180
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my question: Why can't guys like Wall and Bledsoe (and numerous players from other teams) who have the ability to be excellent offensive back court players use those same physical skills to be excellent defensive players? I am not talking about swiping a pass here and there or blocking a layup. I'm talking about getting low and not letting a dribbler get by you, about not geting back-doored, about help defense, etc. To me it seems obvious that these are the kinds of plays that win you games yet many of the physically gifted players refuse or are otherwise unable to play serviceable defense. Why is this?

 

The biggest reason is they are told not to do this for the most part before they get to college. At that lower level most teams simply can't afford their star and primary offensive option to be on the bench in foul trouble for any extended period of time, and those guys are often hidden as best as possible on the defensive end to make sure they stay in the game. I see it all the time in HS and AAU ball and hate it, but "it is what it is" I guess...

Honestly, I'll be shocked if we lose any game the rest of the way out. Road games are tough but the Cats just find ways to win. And if John Wall continues to play like he did in the 2nd half tonight, I don't see them losing.

 

I disagree, dont think we lose againt until April unless it's the SEC Championship, and even that I find unlikely.

 

You all are over looking the fact that Cousins shot HORRIBLE from the freethrow line today which should be fixable. Bledsoe although SOLID in the second half, wasn't much of a factor in the first, which I think may have been coaching in part, and I expect it to be fixed.

 

Kentucky did not play or shoot well enough from the field today to deserve to win the game.

 

Oops... UK better watch out at Georgia as well. They are a handful at home.

Kentucky did not play or shoot well enough from the field today to deserve to win the game.

 

Oops... UK better watch out at Georgia as well. They are a handful at home.

 

I think the Cats win at Georgia, the main reason being that Georgia is not playing for their NCAA life like MSU, Vandy and Tennessee to some extent were. Also, add in winning the conference championship and the resolve resulting from the Tennesse loss.

The biggest reason is they are told not to do this for the most part before they get to college. At that lower level most teams simply can't afford their star and primary offensive option to be on the bench in foul trouble for any extended period of time, and those guys are often hidden as best as possible on the defensive end to make sure they stay in the game. I see it all the time in HS and AAU ball and hate it, but "it is what it is" I guess...

 

That's a perfect explanation! :thumb:

The Cats were horrendous on both ends today. Sure they were abysmal from 20'9" but if you actually play defense for forty minutes you can over come poor shooting. Way too many open bunnies for the men in orange today.

It was really ugly today. Defense lacked, 3-point shooting was non-existent, and Bledsoe continues to stink it up. I thought Miller's play was a positive.

 

I don't see this loss as a huge disappointment (I expected it myself, especially on the short turnaround). But we were exposed for what we are: a team that struggles big-time from beyond the arc, and as a result, struggles against a decent zone defense.

 

The Georgia game will be huge. We really need to rebound in what will be an incredibly tough atmosphere.

The biggest reason is they are told not to do this for the most part before they get to college. At that lower level most teams simply can't afford their star and primary offensive option to be on the bench in foul trouble for any extended period of time, and those guys are often hidden as best as possible on the defensive end to make sure they stay in the game. I see it all the time in HS and AAU ball and hate it, but "it is what it is" I guess...

 

I understand where you're coming from, but playing good defense does not necessarily equate to foul trouble. In fact the opposite might be true in that you might not be challenged as much, like a good CB in football who does not get thrown at. There mght be foul trouble during the learning curve but once you become an accomplished defensive player, opponents (and refs) may back off.

I understand where you're coming from, but playing good defense does not necessarily equate to foul trouble. In fact the opposite might be true in that you might not be challenged as much, like a good CB in football who does not get thrown at. There mght be foul trouble during the learning curve but once you become an accomplished defensive player, opponents (and refs) may back off.

That's simply not the case at the lower levels even though in a dream world it would be. If you have one or even two high major talents in HS or AAU ball, coaches protect them on the defensive end as much as possible because they flat out have to have them on the floor.

 

If you spent even one day with me at an AAU event or big time HS tournament you'd know I LOVE the designated defensive stoppers on the elite teams. If more of them were actually the star players I'd be a lot more happy doing my job...

Losing this game doesn't hurt UK at all IMO, if anything it will get their attention and maybe some guys will step their game up much like Miller did today, if Bledsoe and Dodson can get it going this team will be fine…

 

That's the thing that haunts me right now though. Bledsoe (IMO) is a really, really big weak spot on this team. His on the ball defense is the worst I've EVER seen. That along with his temperment leave a lot to be desired. The thing that is most frustrating about Bledsoe is that his flaws are so fundamental and easy to fix. But those flaws are repeated game after game. On the ball defense is one of the easiest things to do in basketball. You just have to be aware and ready, but Bledsoe is not. What Jimmy Dykes said about "guarding your yard" (MSU Game) really applies to Bledsoe.

He was lost and not focused at the start of the game but he did finish with 15 points and 14 rebounds. I thought UK didn't go to PPat near enough. Also Bledsoe is a total mess, lazy on Defense when he is on the ball. He needs to sit much more. I think he is a little full of himself and Cal needs to yank him just like he does others.

 

Agree!!!:thumb:

KU loss to OKst Win Yeah Travis Ford! If UK would have showed up we could have been No. 1!

 

Don't care about the #1 label right now.

 

This team NEEDED this loss, IMO.

It doesn't take the majority of the calls to make it bad...it takes key calls to make it bad. If you can honestly say the officiating was terrific today, then you watched a different game than I watched.

 

Did I think the officiating was terrific today, NO.

 

Did I think the officiating was horrible today, NO

 

I really didn't feel like there were any calls that played too far inton any teams hands. It was pretty even from what I saw on TV. I really think if your trying to blame officiating in this one you might need to take your "blue blockers" off.

Did I think the officiating was terrific today, NO.

 

Did I think the officiating was horrible today, NO

 

I really didn't feel like there were any calls that played too far inton any teams hands. It was pretty even from what I saw on TV. I really think if your trying to blame officiating in this one you might need to take your "blue blockers" off.

 

It has nothing to do with blue blockers. It's just a matter of calling a spade a spade.

 

The game was greatly influenced by the bogus charge call on Cousins almost as soon as the game started. Then the officials helped trigger an 18-0 run that ultimately decided the game. A UT player actually reached up through the cylinder and knocked a John Wall layup out of the basket (not to mention, he was fouled by two players on the same shot) and an obvious goaltend was not called.

I think the Cats win at Georgia, the main reason being that Georgia is not playing for their NCAA life like MSU, Vandy and Tennessee to some extent were. Also, add in winning the conference championship and the resolve resulting from the Tennesse loss.

 

True, however, 2-22 is not going to cut it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.