February 28, 201016 yr It has nothing to do with blue blockers. It's just a matter of calling a spade a spade. The game was greatly influenced by the bogus charge call on Cousins almost as soon as the game started. Then the officials helped trigger an 18-0 run that ultimately decided the game. A UT player actually reached up through the cylinder and knocked a John Wall layup out of the basket (not to mention, he was fouled by two players on the same shot) and an obvious goaltend was not called. I guess it was the officials fault that UK went 2-22 from behind the arc too, wasn't it? :idunno:
February 28, 201016 yr I guess it was the officials fault that UK went 2-22 from behind the arc too, wasn't it? :idunno: There's no excuse for 2-22, but the officials did play a huge role in the 1st half. Nonetheless, the Cats fought back and tied it up. From there on, the officials had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. A young team on the road in a hostile environment combined with sloppy play and poor officiating makes for a tough start. Add that to horrendous shooting and carelessness for the ball, and Kentucky was lucky to tie it up in the 2nd half. I'd love to play Tennessee again. They've given us two good games, but I don't think they can beat us outside of Knoxville.
February 28, 201016 yr The biggest reason is they are told not to do this for the most part before they get to college. At that lower level most teams simply can't afford their star and primary offensive option to be on the bench in foul trouble for any extended period of time, and those guys are often hidden as best as possible on the defensive end to make sure they stay in the game. I see it all the time in HS and AAU ball and hate it, but "it is what it is" I guess... Well said. To add to that, when the "stars" do play defense, they're so athletically gifted that it doesn't take much to appease their coach and play decent defense (by AAU standards.)
February 28, 201016 yr There's no excuse for 2-22, but the officials did play a huge role in the 1st half. Well one can argue that the only reason UK won the MSU game is because of some questionable calls down the stretch in that one. So I guess what goes around comes around.
February 28, 201016 yr I guess it was the officials fault that UK went 2-22 from behind the arc too, wasn't it? :idunno: Nope, if you refer to my original post, I gave the three basketball reasons why Kentucky lost this game. Out of those three reasons though, someone chose to attack me for pointing out that the officiating was less than consistent.
February 28, 201016 yr Nope, if you refer to my original post, I gave the three basketball reasons why Kentucky lost this game. Out of those three reasons though, someone chose to attack me for pointing out that the officiating was less than consistent. UT was called for six more fouls than UK, and shot 10 less free throws than UK. You guys keep holding onto that if you want.
February 28, 201016 yr Well one can argue that the only reason UK won the MSU game is because of some questionable calls down the stretch in that one. So I guess what goes around comes around. Did you watch the game yesterday? The officiating was the worst I've ever seen in the 1st half, on almost any level. Mississippi State blew a 7 point lead with like 3 minutes to go. You can't blame that one on the officials. Varnado got into foul trouble early in the 2nd half with only one questionable call.
February 28, 201016 yr UT was called for six more fouls than UK, and shot 10 less free throws than UK. You guys keep holding onto that if you want. It doesn't matter how many fouls were actually called. Did you watch the game? Tenn. got away with murder early on.
February 28, 201016 yr Did you watch the game yesterday? I did. Did I miss something? Were the officials not calling fouls on UT, and calling them on UK, or were they just swallowing their whistles completely?
February 28, 201016 yr I did. Did I miss something? Were the officials not calling fouls on UT, and calling them on UK, or were they just swallowing their whistles completely? In the 1st half they let them play, but Tenn. got away with a ton more than the Cats. A Tenn. player jumped on Cousins back down low and nothing was called. Cousins got the ball back and had it blocked by Williams from behind (which could have been a foul) and nothing was called. Bledsoe got jumped a few times down low. My problem is that the refs have let teams get away with murder on Cousins. He's bigger & stronger, so I suppose that it's okay to be extremely physical with him. I've been very impressed with how well Cousins has kept his cool recently. Teams have done everything they can to take him out of his game and it hasn't worked. That's more than I could say about myself.
February 28, 201016 yr UT was called for six more fouls than UK, and shot 10 less free throws than UK. You guys keep holding onto that if you want. The only people that are holding on to anything are those that would like to stir the pot. Again, I gave the 3 reasons why UK lost and the officials were not included. Again, it does not matter how many calls are made. What matters are key calls in key situations (for example, a series of calls that helps spur an 18-0 run).
February 28, 201016 yr Again, it does not matter how many calls are made. What matters are key calls in key situations (for example, a series of calls that helps spur an 18-0 run). A lack of defense is what helps spur an 18-0 run. :thumb:
February 28, 201016 yr So in other words, if UK wins the officiating was great ,but if they lose the officiating was terrible.
February 28, 201016 yr So in other words, if UK wins the officiating was great ,but if they lose the officiating was terrible. Not at all. The officiating was very poor in the South Carolina game, which Kentucky won by 20. Officiating was poor, but fair, in the Mississippi St. game. Officiating last night was some of the worst I have ever seen in the 1st half. 2nd half was better, but there were still some bad, crucial calls. The foul on Patterson in the 2nd half w/ 2 minutes to go & a tie game comes to mind. I have a problem when refs play a huge role in the outcome of a game, whether or not my team wins. People don't pay to see the officials, and I think some of them have a hard time understanding that (on all levels.)
February 28, 201016 yr A lack of defense is what helps spur an 18-0 run. :thumb: Let's see, I think I might have hit on that a bit: Post #11: Game decided by 3 things: - UT's 2-3 matchup zone that UK just didn't figure out today - Interior and transition defense was not present for UK; Vols shot layups all day - Wall's turnover combined with Hopson's 3-pointer in the final minute Bonus points to the officials, as well :deadhorse:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.