Who Should The Bengals Go Get?

I'm willing to take our chances with Reggie Kelly & Chase Coffman. Kelly is a good blocker & Palmer loves him, so he'll be back (assuming he's healthy.)

I think we take a safety, offensive lineman or linebacker with our #1 pick. I'd love to see the Bengals take Myron Rolle with their 2nd pick & convert him to safety.

TE is a need, but I think Kelly & Coffman will suffice. I'm at least willing to give Coffman a shot. A TE in Round 2 would be better.

I hope we don't take a TE or a WR in Round 1. Although some on here have labeled Golden Tate as a "once in a lifetime WR", I don't think any of the WR's are worth a first round pick, with the exception of MAYBE Dez Bryant.

Agree. All much greater needs than TE.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. All much greater needs than TE.

Honestly, I would love to take a safety (Taylor Mays) in the 1st round. If he's not there, I'd take the best offensive lineman or a LB (Rolando McClain or Brandon Spikes if they're there.)

I would love to get Myron Rolle in the 2nd round and convert him to a safety. He's smart & athletic. It may require too much creativity for the Bengals, though.

Honestly, I would love to take a safety (Taylor Mays) in the 1st round. If he's not there, I'd take the best offensive lineman or a LB (Rolando McClain or Brandon Spikes if they're there.)

I would love to get Myron Rolle in the 2nd round and convert him to a safety. He's smart & athletic. It may require too much creativity for the Bengals, though.

I think the will take Taylor Mays, and he will be there going from the recent reports. Heck, from the way Kiper and McShay talk, it wouldn't surprise me if he fell to round two. For fear of hearing about how great TM is, I hope the Bengals do not take him. He's a physical freak, but he has terrible, terrible ball skills IMO, and others are feeling that way too. I've never been impressed with him, he's just a LB that plays Safety IMO. Now if they beefed him up, and moved him to OLB, then they may have a player.

As for Myron Rolle isn't he projected in the 3-5 rounds right now? I think he would be a great pick up in say round 3 or 4. I remember when he was rated as one of the best players in his class coming out of high school.

IMO, they would be much better off taking McClain if he falls, or Spikes. Both of those guys produced in the SEC for a number of years, and lead their teams to a national championship. I would even argue that McClain was just as important for the Tide as Ingram was.

Obviously all this is JMO, I know others will have their choices.

I think the will take Taylor Mays, and he will be there going from the recent reports. Heck, from the way Kiper and McShay talk, it wouldn't surprise me if he fell to round two.

For fear of hearing about how great TM is, I hope the Bengals do not take him. He's a physical freak, but he has terrible, terrible ball skills IMO, and others are feeling that way too. I've never been impressed with him, he's just a LB that plays Safety IMO. Now if they beefed him up, and moved him to OLB, then they may have a player.

IMO, they would be much better off taking McClain if he falls, or Spikes. Both of those guys produced in the SEC for a number of years, and lead their teams to a national championship. I would even argue that McClain was just as important for the Tide as Ingram was.

The problem is that the Bengals are basically set at LB (although we could use another young, talented, LB) and need a playmaker at Safety. The reason why I would take Rolle in Round 2 is because I think he could become the ball-hawking safety that we are lacking. Like you said, Mays lacks some ball skills, but he'd be a huge upgrade over what we have now.

I don't remember seeing him being rated as high as a 2nd rounder. I think you have to take the best talent available. If McClain falls to them, I don't see how they pass. Not much difference IMO in taking Mays in the 1st round and taking someone like Rolle in the 3rd. Actually, I would prefer Rolle if I were a Bengals fan.

The Bengals just simply don't/won't make use of the TE position.

2009: 286 completions/43 to TE

2008: 302 completions/49 to TE (basically because Fitzpatrick struggled to throw more than a 10 yard pass)

2007: 373 completions/35 to TE

2006: 327 completions/35 to TE

2005: 362 completions/33 to TE

2004: 324 completions/36 to TE

So essentially, they will complete around 33-35 passes per year to their TE unless they change their offensive mindset, which won't happen with Bratkowski. Just doesn't justify taking a TE in the first round. Certainly not until they find out if Coffman can provide some value.

And I like your first round pick of Mays.

Those numbers reflect the personnel that was here; two Pro Bowl WR's, and/or

two sub-average receiving TE's, and a strong-armed QB that was a Pro Bowler.

I don't think the Bengals will draft a TE in the first, they traditionally don't value that position. I want them to take Gresham, but don't think they will. A few years ago they took a 3rd string QB that would never see the field a few picks before Brent Celek, who started right away for the Eagles. However, last off-season, the Bengal's signed a decent TE in free agency, and selected one in the 4th round. Perhaps realizing Palmer's deficiencies, they're tweaking their philosophy. The only position the Bengals value less than TE is safety. Some pundits predict the Bengals will take Mike Iupata, the G from Idaho. I've never seen him play, but on paper that seems like a good fit. Bobbie Williams may not have much left.

Kelly and Coffman may be OK options, but they're both coming off injuries. Way too often this year on 3rd and long, I saw Foschi and Coates in, with Roland in motion. Do you really want to go into another season without a third down playmaker?

Also, why would they convert Myron Rolle? He was a Safety at Florida State.

Good call. Not sure why I thought he was a CB? :idunno:

The Bengals just simply don't/won't make use of the TE position.

2009: 286 completions/43 to TE

2008: 302 completions/49 to TE (basically because Fitzpatrick struggled to throw more than a 10 yard pass)

2007: 373 completions/35 to TE

2006: 327 completions/35 to TE

2005: 362 completions/33 to TE

2004: 324 completions/36 to TE

So essentially, they will complete around 33-35 passes per year to their TE unless they change their offensive mindset, which won't happen with Bratkowski. Just doesn't justify taking a TE in the first round. Certainly not until they find out if Coffman can provide some value.

And I like your first round pick of Mays.

Thanks for the numbers. Any idea how that stacks up to other NFL teams? Obviously the elite TE's will blow those numbers out of the water, but I have no idea how that compares to the typical playoff teams.

It would be stupid to take another TE early when we still haven't given Coffman a chance. I am willing to let him see the field for a few games before I go replacing him.

Agreed. A name that I just saw (which I like) is Larry Asante from Nebraska. I know nothing about him, but the scouting report says he's a strong, physical safety." That seems appropriate, being from Nebraska, but I don't remember ever watching him play.

I'd rather draft a tackle than a guard. I guess it depends on whether you'd have Whitworth play tackle or guard. I'd rather him play guard. It also depends on Anthony Collins. Andre Smith just had surgery on his foot, but is expected to be ready for OTAs. Recovery time is something like 10 weeks.

Those numbers reflect the personnel that was here; two Pro Bowl WR's, and/or

two sub-average receiving TE's, and a strong-armed QB that was a Pro Bowler.

I don't think the Bengals will draft a TE in the first, they traditionally don't value that position. I want them to take Gresham, but don't think they will. A few years ago they took a 3rd string QB that would never see the field a few picks before Brent Celek, who started right away for the Eagles. However, last off-season, the Bengal's signed a decent TE in free agency, and selected one in the 4th round. Perhaps realizing Palmer's deficiencies, they're tweaking their philosophy. The only position the Bengals value less than TE is safety. Some pundits predict the Bengals will take Mike Iupata, the G from Idaho. I've never seen him play, but on paper that seems like a good fit. Bobbie Williams may not have much left.

Kelly and Coffman may be OK options, but they're both coming off injuries. Way too often this year on 3rd and long, I saw Foschi and Coates in, with Roland in motion. Do you really want to go into another season without a third down playmaker?

There are plenty of teams that have two quality WR's, yet still throw plenty to their TE. And there are plenty of strong-armed QB's that throw to TE's. The Bengals have not done so because their offense is not designed to do so. Everyone was thrilled when we went and got Utecht a few years back and how he would be such a plus at TE. Granted he was injured most of the time, but even when he was healthy he was never a meaningful part of the offense. Coffman may be more than an "OK option." There's no way to know at this point. The guy was not active his first few games because he apparently had blocking scheme issues and then was injured the rest of the year. He has great hands and proved that in college. He's worth giving a legit shot to see what he can produce and if he doesn't, get by with the Foschi and Kellys of the world like the Bengals have always done. As far as other third down options, a quality third WR or quality third down RB are options a lot of teams, including the Bengals, have used. Gresham is a risky first round pick given the injuries he's had.

There are plenty of teams that have two quality WR's, yet still throw plenty to their TE. And there are plenty of strong-armed QB's that throw to TE's. The Bengals have not done so because their offense is not designed to do so. Everyone was thrilled when we went and got Utecht a few years back and how he would be such a plus at TE. Granted he was injured most of the time, but even when he was healthy he was never a meaningful part of the offense. Coffman may be more than an "OK option." There's no way to know at this point. The guy was not active his first few games because he apparently had blocking scheme issues and then was injured the rest of the year. He has great hands and proved that in college. He's worth giving a legit shot to see what he can produce and if he doesn't, get by with the Foschi and Kellys of the world like the Bengals have always done. As far as other third down options, a quality third WR or quality third down RB are options a lot of teams, including the Bengals, have used. Gresham is a risky first round pick given the injuries he's had.

Utecht dropped more passes than Laverneus Coles.