Who Should The Bengals Go Get?

Utecht dropped more passes than Laverneus Coles.

Honestly, you're really not going to find many TE's with great hands. The Gates, Wittens, and Gonzalezs of the world are rare finds. That is (or at least is supposed to be) Coffman's stength - he is a very good pass receiver. But, in part because he was never asked to do so at Mizzou, he has blocking issues. I would think it would be easier to teach blocking skills to a good pass receiver than to teach a great TE blocker how to catch. That's why I like giving a real look to Coffman. And if they've already decided he's not the guy, then go get a free agent like Watson or Scheffler or one of the two from Washington.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, you're really not going to find many TE's with great hands. The Gates, Wittens, and Gonzalezs of the world are rare finds. That is (or at least is supposed to be) Coffman's stength - he is a very good pass receiver. But, in part because he was never asked to do so at Mizzou, he has blocking issues. I would think it would be easier to teach blocking skills to a good pass receiver than to teach a great TE blocker how to catch. That's why I like giving a real look to Coffman. And if they've already decided he's not the guy, then go get a free agent like Watson or Scheffler or one of the two from Washington.

I agree, that's my point. I think Gresham does give you both, and will probably be a Pro Bowler for someone. I like Coffman and was very happy when they drafted him. it's not an either-or question to me, I like both. I think Coffman's blocking shortcomings are just because he doesn't have the physical tools, and may never be big/strong enough to be a three down TE.

I think Gresham can start and make a very positive impact right away, which is what they need. I don't want an S or OL that won't have an impact for a couple years. They do have several needs, none more glaring than the passing game. The safeties are weak, and I think they should spend an early pick on a safety too.

The Bengals just simply don't/won't make use of the TE position.

2009: 286 completions/43 to TE

2008: 302 completions/49 to TE (basically because Fitzpatrick struggled to throw more than a 10 yard pass)

2007: 373 completions/35 to TE

2006: 327 completions/35 to TE

2005: 362 completions/33 to TE

2004: 324 completions/36 to TE

So essentially, they will complete around 33-35 passes per year to their TE unless they change their offensive mindset, which won't happen with Bratkowski. Just doesn't justify taking a TE in the first round. Certainly not until they find out if Coffman can provide some value.

And I like your first round pick of Mays.

You are right they never really have used the TE position that well. You also have to realize maybe one of those reasons is because they haven't had a TE in here who really was that good. I mean their best TE over those years was Matt Schobel and that is saying something about the quality of TE they have had here. The Bengals also have never really been as committeed to the run as they were last year. So if they continue that, then having a good TE would help with that philosophy since wouldn't have to many 3 or 4 WR sets. So you would think they would use the TE more then if they had a good one. However since it is the Bengals you never know, and I definitely see why you wouldn't want them taking one with the first pick.

So we have never seen Coffman play ,Utecht is probably 95 prercent retired and we have seen the best of Kelly for the last 3 or 4 years and not impressed with him . So I still say Hernandez in the first round but this is just my opinion, I have wanted a quality TE in the draft for the last 4 drafts .:cry::cry: lol

If they take a TE in the first round they would be better off taking the TE from Oklahoma IMO.

I agree, that's my point. I think Gresham does give you both, and will probably be a Pro Bowler for someone. I like Coffman and was very happy when they drafted him. it's not an either-or question to me, I like both. I think Coffman's blocking shortcomings are just because he doesn't have the physical tools, and may never be big/strong enough to be a three down TE.

I think Gresham can start and make a very positive impact right away, which is what they need. I don't want an S or OL that won't have an impact for a couple years. They do have several needs, none more glaring than the passing game. The safeties are weak, and I think they should spend an early pick on a safety too.

His ACL injury doesn't worry you at all? He'd be nice to have, I agree. I just wouldn't want to see us spend a first round pick on him. And, of course, he'd likely be gone by our second pick.

I'll be curious to see if Coffman comes back bigger and stronger this season to help with his blocking issues. He's sure got the receiving part down. You would think the #1 rated TE in college should be able to have some impact in the NFL. Maybe not make people forget about Dallas Clark, but not also yearn to have back Marco Battaglia.

Ultimately, as long as Bratkowski is here, don't expect to see the TE used much. Since 2001, when Bob Bratkowski was hired as OC, the Bengals have essentially eliminated TE's from the passing game. Reggie Kelly has the most receptions (31) by a tight end in a single season (2008) and Matt Schobel's 332 yards receiving in 2003 is the most yardage gained. They have gone through more than 12 TE's during this period and I find it hard to believe that not one of them was good enough to become a meaningful part of the offense.

His ACL injury doesn't worry you at all? He'd be nice to have, I agree. I just wouldn't want to see us spend a first round pick on him. And, of course, he'd likely be gone by our second pick.

QUOTE]

Yes, I think that would be one reason to not select him. They simply can't afford a non-productive early pick again. I had put that in one of my earlier posts, (actually in a thread weeks ago also) but deleted it for the sake of brevity (believe it or not).:D

There seems to be a lot of unhappy people about who the Bengals just got in Matt Jones, and who they are looking at. People seem to think that they can get other guys who are free agents, who are the same talent level and could do the same as those guys but are better people. So what players out there do you think the Bengals could honestly get? Lets remember we are talking about the Bengals, so they won't go after a Peppers or a Marshall just because money probably. Even if they did, there is no guarntee those guys would even come here.

So knowing that the Bengals wouldn't probably get a Marshall or a Peppers. What guys do you think the Bengals should have went after and got to help fill the needs that they have? Remember improving the passing game is their biggest need. So who out there could they possibly get that would help them out better or the same as getting a TO, and Matt Jones?

I was thinking about the no salary cap... I am sure that neither peppers or marshall get tagged that one or both will land in Wash or Dallas...

I'll be curious to see if Coffman comes back bigger and stronger this season to help with his blocking issues. He's sure got the receiving part down. You would think the #1 rated TE in college should be able to have some impact in the NFL. Maybe not make people forget about Dallas Clark, but not also yearn to have back Marco Battaglia.

Ultimately, as long as Bratkowski is here, don't expect to see the TE used much. Since 2001, when Bob Bratkowski was hired as OC, the Bengals have essentially eliminated TE's from the passing game. Reggie Kelly has the most receptions (31) by a tight end in a single season (2008) and Matt Schobel's 332 yards receiving in 2003 is the most yardage gained. They have gone through more than 12 TE's during this period and I find it hard to believe that not one of them was good enough to become a meaningful part of the offense.

You don't know how much I would love it if they did get a new offensive coordinator. I been wanting Bob gone since after the 2006 season and we had a good offensive season that year. He has absolutely no creativity at all. Along with not having the most talented receivers or TE's, I just think his plays are predictable. When watching the games, it seems like our receivers still run the exact same routes as we did back in 2005. Its either an out or that deep in. We never see receivers run short crossing routes, or anything like that. If us as fans can see how predictable they are. It has to be easy for defenses to prepare for.

I don't even remember the last time the Bengals have had a guy get wide open long because of a blown coverage or confusion in the secondary of the other team. Its because they do not confuse anyone at all. Getting rid of him would fix a lot of problems IMO.

You don't know how much I would love it if they did get a new offensive coordinator. I been wanting Bob gone since after the 2006 season and we had a good offensive season that year. He has absolutely no creativity at all. Along with not having the most talented receivers or TE's, I just think his plays are predictable. When watching the games, it seems like our receivers still run the exact same routes as we did back in 2005. Its either an out or that deep in. We never see receivers run short crossing routes, or anything like that. If us as fans can see how predictable they are. It has to be easy for defenses to prepare for.

I don't even remember the last time the Bengals have had a guy get wide open long because of a blown coverage or confusion in the secondary of the other team. Its because they do not confuse anyone at all. Getting rid of him would fix a lot of problems IMO.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: I AGREE 1000%; I CAN PREDICT 90 % OF OUR PLAYS BEFORE THEY ARE RUN .

I agree about the Bengals channg their tune as an offense to being more of a run first team and play D. I think the TE numbers can also be deceiving? Who was the TE's catching all those balls? What if they had a Clark or Gates. A lot of the reason that they haven't thrown to the TE's is because they haven't had one worth a dime.

It would be stupid to take another TE early when we still haven't given Coffman a chance. I am willing to let him see the field for a few games before I go replacing him.

There still seems to be some concern about his health it seems like. That possibly could be a reason for why they might take a TE first.