Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bobby Knight Slams John Calipari

Featured Replies

Choking a player in practice is not discipline.

 

Slamming table and telephone at midcourt to "get your way" is not discipline. (see 1987 Regionals if you need to remember)

 

Throwing a chair across a floor in front of the player shooting FT's is not discipline.

 

Cuffing an opposing coach at midcourt in front of your home crowd and in the middle of a rout is NOT discipline.

 

Maybe we all need to recover just what that word means and how it relates to the way we behave. :idunno:

 

I can only speak for the chair throwing but as Knight stated about that "There was an elderly lady without a chair in the front over there, and I was just making sure she had a place to sit."

 

But I agree there is no excuse for some of the things he's done, however his players were the model of behavior and student athlete.

  • Replies 137
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Choking a player in practice is not discipline.

 

Slamming table and telephone at midcourt to "get your way" is not discipline. (see 1987 Regionals if you need to remember)

 

Throwing a chair across a floor in front of the player shooting FT's is not discipline.

 

Cuffing an opposing coach at midcourt in front of your home crowd and in the middle of a rout is NOT discipline.

 

Maybe we all need to recover just what that word means and how it relates to the way we behave. :idunno:

 

Let's not forget using a bullwhip on Calbert Cheaney.

Let's not forget using a bullwhip on Calbert Cheaney.

 

Now that was a complete joke blown into a full out scandal by the media. That was one of the few times Knight was just trying to have fun and joke around. Even the players thought it was funny.

I don't care what Bobo says and does. If this was a coach that had a perfect past I might be able to understand it but with Bobo I really don't care.

 

 

I just got done watching a debate about this topic on ESPN and it talked about winning or education. IMO they hired Coach Cal as a coach and not an educational advisor. I know there are a fine line between them and you have to have both but the coach is payed to win. Like an old coach told me, winning fixes everything, it also makes people forget.

I can only speak for the chair throwing but as Knight stated about that "There was an elderly lady without a chair in the front over there, and I was just making sure she had a place to sit."

 

But I agree there is no excuse for some of the things he's done, however his players were the model of behavior and student athlete.

 

I'm not sure one outweighs the personal issues he has exemplified. He is a bully, nothing more or less in my eyes. He demands others a discipline he himself does not choose to exemplify in his own actions.

Now that was a complete joke blown into a full out scandal by the media. That was one of the few times Knight was just trying to have fun and joke around. Even the players thought it was funny.

 

I agree. That's why I didn't list it with the few instances I recalled without digging.

Now that was a complete joke blown into a full out scandal by the media. That was one of the few times Knight was just trying to have fun and joke around. Even the players thought it was funny.

 

An insensitive joke that did anger several in the black community. But what would you expect from a guy that thinks that "If rape is inevitable, you should just lay back and enjoy it." I wouldn't think that a white man who has authority over numerous young black men would find humor in joking about slavery.

Sometimes retired coaches give advice before they are asked for advice. The position of coach is a power trip for some. Some have difficulty understanding that not everyone wants or needs their advice. Coach Knight seems to be suffering a bit from this kind of transition. Having him a spokesman for television is not something that has helped his transition to average Joe. I don't think we have heard the end of this from Mr. Knight. :popcorn:

UK will have plenty to say about it and most likely already has.

 

 

They may voice their dislike of Bobby Knight to ESPN, but they can not keep ESPN from sending Bobby Knight to Rupp Arena for College Gameday.

They may voice their dislike of Bobby Knight to ESPN, but they can not keep ESPN from sending Bobby Knight to Rupp Arena for College Gameday.

 

What?! UK doesn't dictate everything basketball!? :eek: Say it ain't so!:eek:

What?! UK doesn't dictate everything basketball!? :eek: Say it ain't so!:eek:

You learn something new every day... :idunno:

What?! UK doesn't dictate everything basketball!? :eek: Say it ain't so!:eek:

 

 

Shocking isn't it. :lol::lol:

Graduation rates are misleading. One-and-dones and early entrants are tallied and bring the percentage down.

 

The reason people attend college for an education is to get a decent job and make money after graduation. So, I ask, what is the problem with a guy leaving college early to sign an NBA contract that will pay him more in 3 years than most of us will make in a lifetime?

 

How many of you would have at any point prior to graduation from college rejected a job offer of several hundred thousand per year to finish your degree?

 

Its much easier to insist on guys attending class and get results when your team is filled with players with no basketball aspirations beyond the collegiate level.

 

Thats more of a general argument about the whole debate regarding graduation rates and not so much intended as a comparison between Knight and Calipari specifically.

 

 

I have no problem if college athletes want to leave early to get a job. But let's quit joking about sports being an extracurricular activity then. If the reason a kid goes to college is to get a job in a particular sport, then let's make it a degree. Let the kids who are serious about academics play and pursue their academic careers at the same time. But stop penalizing schools for low graduation rates among their sports.

I have no problem if college athletes want to leave early to get a job. But let's quit joking about sports being an extracurricular activity then. If the reason a kid goes to college is to get a job in a particular sport, then let's make it a degree. Let the kids who are serious about academics play and pursue their academic careers at the same time. But stop penalizing schools for low graduation rates among their sports.

 

I completely agree with this.

 

Make sports a degree for the one and done guys. Public speaking and financial management classes.

 

The only problem with this idea is the fact that you can't offer the "degree" to everyone.

I completely agree with this.

 

Make sports a degree for the one and done guys. Public speaking and financial management classes.

 

The only problem with this idea is the fact that you can't offer the "degree" to everyone.

 

 

There should be an "Associate" degree and a Bachelor's. A Masters for those guys who stay 4 or 5 years. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.