Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bobby Knight Slams John Calipari

Featured Replies

I don't think he is

 

That is the funniest part. :lol:

  • Replies 137
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got to be kidding. :lol:

 

Adolph Rupp was often seen at games without his belt on after halftime.

Adolph Rupp was often seen at games without his belt on after halftime.

 

 

I've talked to Larry Conley on many a occasion, never once did he come anywhere close to mentioning that the players were whipped at halftime. :lol:

I will have to knock my number down to 5, I didn't know that Patterson was suppose to graduate in 3 years (My wife informed me of that).

 

But

1. Wall

2. Cousins (has a ton of raw talent just needs to develop a little bit and mature)

3. Bledsoe (probably leave after soph. or jr. year)

4. Dodson/Miller (one if not both of these will develop a lot next year with Wall gone)

5. Orton (This is probably a stretch right now but Cal does develop NBA talent well)

I've talked to Larry Conley on many a occasion, never once did he come anywhere close to mentioning that the players were whipped at halftime. :lol:

 

Who are we kidding? Larry Conley's back probably looks like John Rambo's.

I will have to knock my number down to 5, I didn't know that Patterson was suppose to graduate in 3 years (My wife informed me of that).

 

But

1. Wall

2. Cousins (has a ton of raw talent just needs to develop a little bit and mature)

3. Bledsoe (probably leave after soph. or jr. year)

4. Dodson/Miller (one if not both of these will develop a lot next year with Wall gone)

5. Orton (This is probably a stretch right now but Cal does develop NBA talent well)

 

 

Not a chance that Dodson or Miller leaves early for the NBA. Do you feel that coaches shouldn't recruit players that will leave early for the NBA? If you don't feel that way, then why should coaches be criticized when those players don't graduate?

Not a chance that Dodson or Miller leaves early for the NBA. Do you feel that coaches shouldn't recruit players that will leave early for the NBA? If you don't feel that way, then why should coaches be criticized when those players don't graduate?

 

:thumb:

 

I'm curious to hear his response to post #57 also.

Not a chance that Dodson or Miller leaves early for the NBA. Do you feel that coaches shouldn't recruit players that will leave early for the NBA? If you don't feel that way, then why should coaches be criticized when those players don't graduate?

 

I feel there should be a bigger push towards graduation in players that are recruited to colleges. Even if it's programs that allow them to continue school after they go pro. I know that in college football you can be punished over graduation rates (not sure if that applies to basketball or not). I certainly don't have the answer to this, but it is a problem that should be addressed. If we are going to continue to have "college sports" then a big push needs to be made back towards academics. College is becoming too similar to "pro sports". I do like the NFL and Baseball rule of at least 3 years of college before you turn pro (even though baseball only applies if you go to college, you can go straight pro from high school). The 3 year rule at least gets most of these players half way towards graduation if not further before they leave. This 1 and done stuff just isn't appealing to me, it's like they were saying on First Take this morning, too many of these basketball players who are 1 and done never go to class and never make an effort for the one year they play basketball.

I feel there should be a bigger push towards graduation in players that are recruited to colleges. Even if it's programs that allow them to continue school after they go pro. I know that in college football you can be punished over graduation rates (not sure if that applies to basketball or not). I certainly don't have the answer to this, but it is a problem that should be addressed. If we are going to continue to have "college sports" then a big push needs to be made back towards academics. College is becoming too similar to "pro sports". I do like the NFL and Baseball rule of at least 3 years of college before you turn pro (even though baseball only applies if you go to college, you can go straight pro from high school). The 3 year rule at least gets most of these players half way towards graduation if not further before they leave. This 1 and done stuff just isn't appealing to me, it's like they were saying on First Take this morning, too many of these basketball players who are 1 and done never go to class and never make an effort for the one year they play basketball.

 

 

I do agree with you on that. However, given the pressure to 'win or leave', college coaches need these kids, who may leave early, to be on their team. I don't like kids leaving early either, but I understand it. I would not have a problem with a 3 year rule as they have in football. However, that won't happen. And if it did, you would see more kids take the Brandon Jennings route, which might be a good thing for college athletics. I think Bobby Knight was on to something in that it should be a 2 year rule so that the kids at least are forced to be a student for a year and a half which COULD turn into a degree for them if the NBA appears to not be a possibility OR a slightly higher level of maturity once they got to the NBA.

 

I think that is one of the things many Tubby fans liked about him. He rarely got the 1 and done kids, ... most were there for 4 years. BUT, he did still see several of them get to the NBA. On the flipside, you saw what that did to him in the eyes of many UK fans. Only 1 final 4 and many calling for his head.

 

While I am sure that many of the 1 and done kids probably don't care if they go to class or not, ... Wall apparently has a 4.0 GPA right now (I think it was 3.8 over the summer semester).

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/03/17/foul_play_on_black_athletes_graduation_rates/ Memphis graduated 44% of the minority players under Calipari's watch. I would certainly love to see that higher, but I have nothing to reference that against so that may be the national average (which if it is, is an even sadder/bigger problem).

 

I believe it was 0.00% before Cal got there. And I don't think it should just be about minority athletes. It must be all of them.

Graduation rates are misleading. One-and-dones and early entrants are tallied and bring the percentage down.

 

The reason people attend college for an education is to get a decent job and make money after graduation. So, I ask, what is the problem with a guy leaving college early to sign an NBA contract that will pay him more in 3 years than most of us will make in a lifetime?

 

How many of you would have at any point prior to graduation from college rejected a job offer of several hundred thousand per year to finish your degree?

 

Its much easier to insist on guys attending class and get results when your team is filled with players with no basketball aspirations beyond the collegiate level.

 

Thats more of a general argument about the whole debate regarding graduation rates and not so much intended as a comparison between Knight and Calipari specifically.

Good point. If UK were 6-4, or even 7-3 Knight probably wouldn't have even mentioned anything about Cal or Kentucky.

 

Nah....I think he still would have said it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

 

Love him or hate him...The guy never cheated and he tells it like it is!

Nah....I think he still would have said it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

 

Love him or hate him...The guy never cheated and he tells it like it is!

 

And is a bully and a jerk. :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.