Simpson To Be Activated This Week

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I think MB said enough is enough, put him in.

Why? I mean you all do realize he has been practicing all year? You do realize that people can get better because of practicing right? So why is it so hard to believe, that maybe just maybe Simpson has started to improve as the season went on. Yeah at the beginning of the year he was not ready still, but how many weeks ago was that? That is around 14 weeks ago right? That is a lot of time, and a lot of practices and film work he would be getting during that time. So its really not to crazy at all to think, that he finally has started to show enough to wear he deserves to dress now.

As for the Chris Henry thing, you are right Mike Brown is the one who made that decision. However did you see the interview with Marvin earlier in the year when they were talking to Marvin about that? And he said what many people don't know is that when Mike Brown told Marvin he wanted to bring Chris Henry back. That Marvin got to have a sit down talk with Henry before Brown signed him, and Marvin was more comfortable with it after that?

Weird, I haven't see where you have said you were right about the Henry thing.

:lol: :lol:

I have a hard time telling if your being sarcastic here or not. I think your being sarcastic here obviously, but just in case your not go look back at the Chris Henry thread or the Bengals/Ravens thread when he got hurt. I was the first to say it, even though most people didn't seem to agree and thought it wouldn't hurt the offense much.

"I have a hard time telling if your being sarcastic here or not. I think your being sarcastic here obviously..."

Futurecoach, we all know that you think Chris Henry was a big part of the passing game. I'd guess over 90% of the Bengals fans agreed at the time. We also know you started the thread. Congrats man. Big props.

Like I said, expecting ANYTHING at all is wishful thinking....He's been inactive all year for a reason. Do you think all of a sudden the lightbulb turned on and he got it?

Don't forget that he didn't play last year either. I hope he can contribute, but I'd be surprised to see him do much.

Why? I mean you all do realize he has been practicing all year? You do realize that people can get better because of practicing right? So why is it so hard to believe, that maybe just maybe Simpson has started to improve as the season went on. Yeah at the beginning of the year he was not ready still, but how many weeks ago was that? That is around 14 weeks ago right? That is a lot of time, and a lot of practices and film work he would be getting during that time. So its really not to crazy at all to think, that he finally has started to show enough to wear he deserves to dress now.

As for the Chris Henry thing, you are right Mike Brown is the one who made that decision. However did you see the interview with Marvin earlier in the year when they were talking to Marvin about that? And he said what many people don't know is that when Mike Brown told Marvin he wanted to bring Chris Henry back. That Marvin got to have a sit down talk with Henry before Brown signed him, and Marvin was more comfortable with it after that?

A second round pick with career stats of one reception for two yards. Forgive me if I'm not jumping for joy about him being activated.

As far as the Brown-Henry-Lewis situation goes, you are kidding yourself if you think Marvin could have cut him if he wanted to.

:lol: :lol:

"I have a hard time telling if your being sarcastic here or not. I think your being sarcastic here obviously..."

Futurecoach, we all know that you think Chris Henry was a big part of the passing game. I'd guess over 90% of the Bengals fans agreed at the time. We also know you started the thread. Congrats man. Big props.

Don't forget that he didn't play last year either. I hope he can contribute, but I'd be surprised to see him do much.

90% hmmm that is interesting. If you go back and look at that thread, and the Bengals/Ravens thread when I first brought it up. Most people thought it wouldn't be that big of a problem at all, they were saying. It wasn't until the last few weeks, when people started saying oh wow Henry not playing does really hurt this offense. Nice try though....Also thanks for calling me out for tooting my own horn on this, since everybody on here does the exact same thing when they are right. So good call on that one man. :rolleyes:

You all also don't seem to remember that Simpson hurt his ankle in the first game he played in, which then made him miss the next three games after that. Injuries was one of the reasons last year for him not playing.

Carson has to get them the ball, but it also probably hard to get guys the ball when no one is open. There is just a lot of problem in the passing game. Palmer just can't seem to get in a rhythm, the line is not pass blocking great, and one of the biggest reasons IMO is that our receivers besides Chad are having a hard time getting open. I think that kind of shows when Coles who is suppose to be your #2 receiver, didn't even have one pass thrown his way in last game. That is why I think its worth the shot to give Simpson a chance. You really never know what you have until they are on the field, and given a chance.

What about the fact that Carson has a heck of a time hitting any receiver other than Chad during practices?

Carson is no longer anywhere close to being an elite QB in this league, healthy or not, and it's time Bengals fans realize it. They have moved to a running team partially because of the emergence of Benson, but also due to the fact that Carson is but a shell of the player we remember from 2005.

A second round pick with career stats of one reception for two yards. Forgive me if I'm not jumping for joy about him being activated.

As far as the Brown-Henry-Lewis situation goes, you are kidding yourself if you think Marvin could have cut him if he wanted to.

Did I say anywhere that I am jumping for joy and think that he definitely will help out? No I haven't, but nice try. Now what I have said is that I think it is worth the shot. We have seen that what we have done since Henry gut hurt is not working. So its worth at least giving a talented guy like him a chance, because its not like he can do much worst than what we have gotten from the other guys anyways.

Did I say anywhere that I am jumping for joy and think that he definitely will help out? No I haven't, but nice try. Now what I have said is that I think it is worth the shot. We have seen that what we have done since Henry gut hurt is not working. So its worth at least giving a talented guy like him a chance, because its not like he can do much worst than what we have gotten from the other guys anyways.

You would have thought they was the case last year when we were 0-4...0-5...0-6...0-7...

What about the fact that Carson has a heck of a time hitting any receiver other than Chad during practices?

Carson is no longer anywhere close to being an elite QB in this league, healthy or not, and it's time Bengals fans realize it. They have moved to a running team partially because of the emergence of Benson, but also due to the fact that Carson is but a shell of the player we remember from 2005.

Once again look at the guys he is throwing the ball to now, and to the guys he was throwing the ball to then. Its not even close to which group of receivers was better to who he was throwing to. I don't know why people always go back to 2005. He was just as great in 2006 even after his knee injury. Now since 2006 a lot has changed since then. 2007 was the first year he really didn't do as great. 2008 he didn't play but three games, and this year was doing good until Chris Henry got hurt.

So what does this tell us? It tells us that yeah he isn't as good as Manning, or Brady who basically still do good with any receivers they have. So yes he is not as good as some of the QB's that will go down as some of the best QB's of all time. However it does show us, that when he has talent to throw to and the offense is more open that he still does very well. If you put this Palmer back on to the 2005, or 2006 teams I think he does just as well as he did then (As long as the elbow is healthy, which I am not sure if it is or not right now). People need to look at the big picture and all the factors going into how things were and how things are now. Palmer is never going to have the chance to put up numbers like he did in 2005, because that is not the way Marvin wants to play. Here is two guys who have to play basically the same style Palmer has to now who people call elite, and here are the stats for their super bowl seasons with those systems, when you compare them to the stats of Palmer to this year.

Games/CMP/ATT/ PCT./ Yds/ Avg./ TD/ Lng/ Int/ Rating

Big Ben

2005- 12 168 268 62.7 2385 8.9 17 85 9 98.6

2008- 16 281 469 59.9 3301 7.0 17 65 15 80.1

Eli

2007- 16 297 529 56.1 3336 6.3 23 60 20 73.9

C. Palmer

2009 13 237 390 60.8 2641 6.8 17 73 10 84.8

So as we see Palmer this season compares basically the same as those two QBs during their Super Bowl runs and people consider them elite still. So you can't compare him to his stats he use to have, because the Bengals simply do not play that way anymore. The Bengals went more to a ball control team like those two teams, so it is impossible to have those great stats anymore like that year. This team though since Henry got hurt, has simply one good receiver to throw too. So we are going to see numbers like this, that is just how it is. Unless your one of the best of all time like Manning or Brady, your usually going to have to have talent around you and play in a system with a wide open offense to put up great numbers.

Let's remember that the passing game was mediocre even when Henry was in.

Lets remember that the Bengals were #1 in the NFL in red zone scoring when Henry was in. Lets remember the Bengals were #1 in the NFL in scoring with 2:00 left in each half. Lets remember when it comes to 2 minute drill, that is when the offense usually opens up more and all passing. Up until the two minute mark they usually try to run the ball more. So when Henry was in there, when they decided to pass, and needed it they were able to get it done. The Bengals are not going to be a high scoring offense anymore, just based on design. So we won't see great stats like in 2005 or 2006. They want to control the clock. However with Henry when they did open it up when they had to, they were successful.

You would have thought they was the case last year when we were 0-4...0-5...0-6...0-7...

Lets remember last year they had Chad, TJ, and Henry was healthy. So even though they sucked last year, they had very talented guys in front of him. Simpson finally did get a chance to play in the Steelers game when they deactivated Chad for that game, and he had his one catch. It was on that catch he hurt his ankle though, and had to miss the next three games due to injury. When he was healthy again the Bengals were actually winning some games with Chad, TJ, Henry, and Caldwell at receiver. So injury and talented guys in front of him, hurt his chances from playing last year.