December 1, 200916 yr I honestly don't know how to pick this game. These two teams are so similar in so many different ways. Both teams have very, very solid and deep front lines. Both teams rely on younger players to heavily contribute. Both teams prefer an up-and-down the court style of play. I think UNC is deeper, a better perimeter-shooting team, and with Ginyard & Thompson they have an experience edge over us. On the other hand, UK has better point-guard play, and I think we're a better fast-break team than UNC. UNC is more tested for an upper-tier opponent, having already played Ohio State, Syracuse, & Michigan State (by the time we play them). UK has an advantage of being at home, and the Rupp crowd will be rocking on Saturday afternoon. I think the team that shoots the 3 better and has fewer turnovers wins. I just don't know who that will be right now.
December 1, 200916 yr This will probably be UNC's third toughest game of the season. Not a great sign as they will know how to elevate their level of play. If Wall can control the game, which is he is fully capable of doing, then UK has a great shot.
December 1, 200916 yr I love the Cats but they are a loss just waiting to happen. They will not be able to get away with TO's and overcome it with talent like they have all year. Also the offense is just not working just yet and outside shooting is not consistant. Maybe a loss is a good thing for the young Cats to get their attention from coach Cal. UNC- 78 UK- 70
December 1, 200916 yr Im like a lot of people on here; I voted for the Cats but it is going to be a close one. No matter which way it goes, I think we and the Cats will learn a lot from this game. This is UKs first chance against a really good team; and I feel that this game will make them better whether they win or loose. I am proud of the 7-0 start, however I want to see some better teams on that losing end against UK. I would also like to see some road victories. All these early Rupp games have me a little nervous about the Cats developing for away games. Its a different world when you dont have the crowd on your side.
December 1, 200916 yr Points Per Game: KENTUCKY: 83.0 N. CAROLINA: 83.7 3-Point FG Percentage: KENTUCKY: 37% N. CAROLINA: 36% Overall FG Percentage: KENTUCKY: 51.5% N. CAROLINA: 51.5% Free-Throw Percentage: KENTUCKY: 67% N. CAROLINA: 65% Rebounds Per Game: KENTUCKY: 45.3 N. CAROLINA: 45.4 Steals Per Game: KENTUCKY: 7 spg N. CAROLINA: 8.1 spg Blocks Per Game: KENTUCKY: 8.3 bpg N. CAROLINA: 5.9 bpg Assist/Turnover Ratio: KENTUCKY: 16.9a - 17.1t - .98 N. CAROLINA: 21.2a - 17.3t - 1.22 Based on stats, should be a dandy. However, those that think Carolina shoots better from the perimeter, they're incorrect. Kentucky has drilled 44 treys to Carolina's 31.
December 1, 200916 yr Points Per Game: KENTUCKY: 83.0 N. CAROLINA: 83.7 3-Point FG Percentage: KENTUCKY: 37% N. CAROLINA: 36% Overall FG Percentage: KENTUCKY: 51.5% N. CAROLINA: 51.5% Free-Throw Percentage: KENTUCKY: 67% N. CAROLINA: 65% Rebounds Per Game: KENTUCKY: 45.3 N. CAROLINA: 45.4 Steals Per Game: KENTUCKY: 7 spg N. CAROLINA: 8.1 spg Blocks Per Game: KENTUCKY: 8.3 bpg N. CAROLINA: 5.9 bpg Assist/Turnover Ratio: KENTUCKY: 16.9a - 17.1t - .98 N. CAROLINA: 21.2a - 17.3t - 1.22 Based on stats, should be a dandy. However, those that think Carolina shoots better from the perimeter, they're incorrect. Kentucky has drilled 44 treys to Carolina's 31. Very nice work SSF. You left out a very important stat though IMO. What about FG % defense, and 3 Pt. FG % defense for each team?
December 1, 200916 yr Author UK is a faster team also and should attack the rim, and in the long stretch it will come down to free throws.
December 1, 200916 yr Isn't Rupp the place people wanted torn down roughly two weeks ago because opponents played so well there??? :idunno: I was just about to post the same thing. I thought Rupp wasn't much of a home field advantage. What gives?
December 1, 200916 yr Wonder if Carolina will man up on them or play zone defense against the cats. If the cats can keep it under 12 turnovers or so I believe they will win. This team can average in the high 80's offensively when they dont turn the ball over a lot. I think its going to be fun to watch both teams go at it inside as this game is filled with a lot of good big men. Cal won't be to happy if they keep it much under 12 TO's. I find it interesting that he doesn't like to few turnovers (says they are not taking enough chances). If they are up in the 16+ range, he says they are being to sloppy with the ball. Guess he wants the TO's right in the middle range between 8-15. Should be a great game on Saturday with great atmosphere. I just hope the fans between the free throw lines get off their rumps and make some noise. UK 79, UNC 72.
December 1, 200916 yr I like UK in this game. Can't pick a score though. Should be a good one and like LRCW said, a good measuring stick for this point in the season. Although, I expect both UK and UNC to be far better teams should they meet a second time this season. Calipari will wave at Roy Williams and say, "Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"
December 1, 200916 yr Points Per Game: KENTUCKY: 83.0 N. CAROLINA: 83.7 3-Point FG Percentage: KENTUCKY: 37% N. CAROLINA: 36% Overall FG Percentage: KENTUCKY: 51.5% N. CAROLINA: 51.5% Free-Throw Percentage: KENTUCKY: 67% N. CAROLINA: 65% Rebounds Per Game: KENTUCKY: 45.3 N. CAROLINA: 45.4 Steals Per Game: KENTUCKY: 7 spg N. CAROLINA: 8.1 spg Blocks Per Game: KENTUCKY: 8.3 bpg N. CAROLINA: 5.9 bpg Assist/Turnover Ratio: KENTUCKY: 16.9a - 17.1t - .98 N. CAROLINA: 21.2a - 17.3t - 1.22 Based on stats, should be a dandy. However, those that think Carolina shoots better from the perimeter, they're incorrect. Kentucky has drilled 44 treys to Carolina's 31. :thumb:
December 2, 200916 yr I was just about to post the same thing. I thought Rupp wasn't much of a home field advantage. What gives? It's not about a home court advantage in the sense that I feel they are going to intimidate UNC into folding. It's that I think this team has a good shot at home where they are comfortable, and I think the young ones may have folded with their first road experience (not counting the joke that was Cancun) being against a team like UNC -- Who is just as good, if not better.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.