September 8, 200521 yr But why then, do the kids STAY at the private schools, knowing they could play somewhere else? Why does everyone assume those kids WANT to attend another school to play? The point I'm trying to make is that, as much as many people assume sports are a primary reason kids attend private schools, it isn't. The thing is, these kids wouldn't go to a public school regardless, or they would transfer out and go where they could play. So, we're (public and private) are not competing for these kids for athletics. There's much more to the decision than that. So, kicking the private schools out would only broaden the ability of the potential of public schools losing even more athletes to privates, if the privates had no KHSAA restrictions to follow regarding recruiting, etc. It could become even more feasible for kids to attend these schools. Kids go where they and their families have chosen to go (most since they begun grade school). It is a family decision and while sports is an easy reason to say kids chose a school, my experience is after 8-9 years in a Catholic grade school (a lot attend the church as well), and all being around a faith based environment and a close family type atmosphere, they choose because they are most comfortable where they can continue the family traditions they are used to. The toy bowl leagues help. Bottom Line - A lot of people at Catholic private schools are going because it is an extension of their faith. The football as well as academics are all important. What remains is the lessons taught, the family time, the commitment to the school and the love of the people AND the outcomes. Why do kids stay on the football team at T or X if they rarely or never play? Kids want to be a part of something bigger, to be a part of a winning tradition and they find that standing on the sideline or playing at T or X for sure. If it was all about football, then why stay on the team? You can have this without the overt faith, but something just as strong would need to replace it? There are many good programs, private and public, but to me in the end it comes down to making a conscious choice, for long term personal reasons, sacrificing to move the program along and not getting in the way of success by losing focus on these things.
September 8, 200521 yr I believe that some of the great athletic talent across the state should be afforded an opportunity of winning a state championship ring. I know of one young man (a fine young man w/ little or no athletic ability) that has 3 state championship rings - 2 in football and 1 in wrestling - and he didn't see one second of varsity play in football and spent very little time on the mat at meets. I think that all young men and women from Kentucky deserve an equal chance of winning a championship. Why should an individual get the prize when in reality they did not fully participate? Look at all of the public school athletes statewide that are multi-talented in more that one sport and give their all only to realize come the end of the season that they are out-numbered by the team roster and finances of a private school that has the capability of recruiting by offering "academic?" scholarships or assistance. I applaud the public school officials that are making a priority of bringing this sticky situation to the attention of the KHSAA and the general public. Didn't a public school take 3 out 4 state football titles as well as the basketball title. Beechwood was in our district when they were in their golden age. Opportunities for a state championship were limited. I got over it, so should everyone else. The advantage, if at all, of private schools is not as pronounced in KY as it was in TN.
September 8, 200521 yr "Of course, your gripe is coming from a supporter of a school that made it to the state championship game on the back of a Division I recruit at quarterback from a neighboring county and had attended a public middle school in that county. And your state-power softball team apparently has had star players that live in another state." If it doesn't make any difference then why did you bring this up? Therefore concludes this exercise ... Amazing how those unfounded accusations go over, isn't it? Let that be a lesson to you ... maybe next time you imply that another school is skirting the rules to land a big-time player, you will have some evidence to back it up.
September 9, 200521 yr Sorry my friend, but as a father of a kid that owns some of that jewelry I must correct you. My son went to Trinity for a lot more than football. He turned out to be a marginal player, but a fine young man. I asked him recently if he missed some things about his high school days, he said yes but football didn't even pop up in the top ten. He was proud of his efforts on the grid iron though and felt every bit as much a champion as anyone else on the team and for good reason. Maybe he didn't "contribute" in your book, but at schools like Trinity and St.X evry kids efforts are appreciated and welcomed. And since they seem to win their share of titles maybe you should try it their way. No Sir, apology not required. Thank you for admitting to being the second prime example of a father that is proud of your childs acheivement. You, my friend? Not likely. I would not be caught in the company of someone who goes for the prize, not caring who they knock down and step on in the process. Count me out, I would rather my offspring learn character building lessons while on the losing team. That is where they will learn about fairness, true sportmanship, and also get their fair share of playing time.
September 9, 200521 yr No Sir, apology not required. Thank you for admitting to being the second prime example of a father that is proud of your childs acheivement. You, my friend? Not likely. I would not be caught in the company of someone who goes for the prize, not caring who they knock down and step on in the process. Count me out, I would rather my offspring learn character building lessons while on the losing team. That is where they will learn about fairness, true sportmanship, and also get their fair share of playing time.Only losing teams are honorable? If you win, it's at the expense of your soul? Please!!
September 9, 200521 yr No Sir, apology not required. Thank you for admitting to being the second prime example of a father that is proud of your childs acheivement. You, my friend? Not likely. I would not be caught in the company of someone who goes for the prize, not caring who they knock down and step on in the process. Count me out, I would rather my offspring learn character building lessons while on the losing team. That is where they will learn about fairness, true sportmanship, and also get their fair share of playing time. You yourself must have never been on a winning team if you think that kids can't learn character building, fairness and true sportsmanship from having a winning team. You are the one who owes the apology. Talking about not having a clue!!!
September 9, 200521 yr Birdsfan and Mayfieldsportsfan, I think you are the parents that should send their sons to Trinity or X and try it their way. As I stated in my post "Count Me Out". Also, before you get so sensitive and jump to conclusions by reading something extra into it, go back and read all the previous posts. Yeah, Please.
September 9, 200521 yr Birdsfan and Mayfieldsportsfan, I think you are the parents that should send their sons to Trinity or X and try it their way. As I stated in my post "Count Me Out". Also, before you get so sensitive and jump to conclusions by reading something extra into it, go back and read all the previous posts. Yeah, Please. I read and understand where you're coming from. That's all I need to know. I responded only to your words at face value. No more. No less.
September 9, 200521 yr May I suggest that in the future when one of our members is out of line, instead of suspension they should be required to read every post in a public vs private thread. I can't think of a more severe punishment. If someone actually changes their original opinion due to something they read here, wake me up.
September 9, 200521 yr I have several comments. First at X at least 86 per cent of the students come from Catholic grade schools. Second, we use a college evaluation company to determine any type of financial aid. Third, most of the families there are by no means wealthy. Several have second jobs, and often the student also works. Fourth, next year everyone must belong to an association. No one from KY will be allowed to play Oak Hill unless they join a state association. Fifth, this means that the privates won't be kicked out, only start a new disivion, with its own bylaws. This means that they could conduct a separate sweet 16, and can allot the proceeds from state games back to the schools, and not the state. Last, is everyone that naive to think that if X, T and others are separated from the publics thata new super division among publics with Male, Manual, Dunbar, etc. wouldn't be created. Do you kick them out then?
September 9, 200521 yr You all do realize that this argument will never be settled. Say what you will about the real parents of the private school but the PERCEPTION is that it is the rich kids vs. the poor kids. Right or wrong that is the perception. And that perception carries right on into adult life. In New Orleans, supposedly it was a poverty/race issue that kept them from being evacuated. Hilary was on their saying to not give the tax breaks to the "rich" but roll them back and use the funds to help the "poor" in New Orleans. It is an argument/debate/fight that will not be solved. It will just move to another area of our society. Rich kids???? I started working ( delivering papers at 4:30 am) at 11 years old so I could pay my tuition at Trinity. My parents told me that they could not foot the bill, so I paid my own way. I don't want to hear any garbage that eveyone that goes to a private school is rich. :fight: :fight: :fight:
September 9, 200521 yr If this seperation happens, is there anyway a school district like Highlands or Beechwood could petition to join the privates because IMO the competition would drop dramatically for those programs. Like I always say, "if you want to be the best, then beat the best". How hard can it be. Watch and learn how these teams that keep winning, whether private, public, or independent, and implement those winning ways into your program. Be it community support, family support, school support, tranning, watching films, long hours spent away from homes for coaches because they are preparing for their teams next game, match, whatever, you where I'm going. Learn it, live it, and just do it! Stop complaining!!!!
September 9, 200521 yr Rich kids???? I started working ( delivering papers at 4:30 am) at 11 years old so I could pay my tuition at Trinity. My parents told me that they could not foot the bill, so I paid my own way. I don't want to hear any garbage that eveyone that goes to a private school is rich. :fight: :fight: :fight: And while I am at it, maybe that is why the private schools are so successful. I went to Trinity for an excellent education, not to play sports. I wanted to become the best that I could be. I am not saying that the public schools do not have these kind of students, just that the private schools have more. Is it an advantage, you bet. Is it fair? Pick a side, and debate until the end of time. Can you put a pricetag on it? NO. ps This is my last post on this tired subject that we visit EVERY year. I am done with it, forever. Have a nice day
September 9, 200521 yr A few thoughts 1. Excuse me to all my female friends and fellow teachers of the game in the "minor" sports but if anyone thinks this is about anything but football you are sadly mistaken. The bottom line is most people out there could care less about volleyball, cross country, golf, tennis or soccer. Sure, those athletes work just as hard as the others but in the whole scheme of things they don't mean a great deal to anyone unless you - or your child - plays them. This is about 4-A football - and only that because no private school dominates basketball the way they do on the gridiron. 2. Why is Meade County so hot and bothered by this issue right now? Just curious because is there even a private school near there? 3. I for one think this might pass this time. I'd hate to see if because it would ruin a good thing. But in education there's a difference when the superintendents get involved. They have more pull. How would you like to be a principal or AD and have your boss tell you to vote for it or even suggest it and then you not and it comes out. Ouch! 4. Bottom line is if it happenes and privates go out on their own. Watch out. Can you imagine some of the things that could happen without the KHSAA rules and those schools having a private school league. Wow! Micheal Bush and Sergio Spencer could have both been on that same team with Brohm and McBroom and I guarantee the private schools basketball programs would get drastically better if that happened!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.