September 9, 200521 yr What is it worth to win a State Championship then have people be able to say, AND RIGHTLY SO, that you didn't beat the best team to win that? Whether they have advantages or not, the Privates are good for Kentucky HS Athletics and their traditions are some of, if not THE, best in the state. I coach three different sports at a public school and if we ever win a state championship I'd rather be answering questions about how we were JUST BETTER than the Private Schools more than I'd like to be getting into hypotheticals about whether I thought that we COULD HAVE beaten them for that state championship.
September 9, 200521 yr For the bolded part Ask this question of Campbell County's girls golf coach. He can ONLY get 4 girls to come out and play. He went to the middle school and asked. 4 girls that is it. THe girls tell him that the girls they know that play golf attend.................ready for it............can you guess...........suspense is high........yep, that is right............Brossart. Brossart has a nice girl's team, but is far from a "Golf Factory", and is seldom a top ten program, even in NKY!! Their team is comprized of 7-8 girls (all products of BB's feeder schools) total (no JV or frosh teams). They have a core of about four players and were asking for girls to just come out for the team; ultimately taking a few "projects", who had never played before this year. Sorry about the lack of participation at Campbell, but that would appear to be an internal problem, rather than Brossart "raiding" their program as you suggest!! Perhaps speaks poorly for the area as a whole, which does a very poor job offering any junior golf programs for boys or girls??
September 9, 200521 yr Brossart has a nice girl's team, but is far from a "Golf Factory", and is seldom a top ten program, even in NKY!! Their team is comprized of 7-8 girls (all products of BB's feeder schools) total (no JV or frosh teams). They have a core of about four players and were asking for girls to just come out for the team; ultimately taking a few "projects", who had never played before this year. Sorry about the lack of participation at Campbell, but that would appear to be an internal problem, rather than Brossart "raiding" their program as you suggest!! Perhaps speaks poorly for the area as a whole, which does a very poor job offering any junior golf programs for boys or girls?? I did not say raid or insinuate raid. Again, from my perspective, a good many parents who spend the time and resources to allow their child to participate in the junior golf programs will consider spending the time and money for a private school. I have stated in the past that my children participate in those programs and if there were a Christian school, like Calvary Christian, that was a realitic and feasible option for my children, I would strongly consider it. I don't feel these schools should be penalized but that is the situation that exists. I do wonder where the girl golfers in Campbell County end up then. Highlands is a good program, but with what you say about Brossart and knowing the situation in NCC and Campbell County, where do they go?
September 9, 200521 yr BGGreen, that is why I think the issue really boils down to a winners / non-winners issue. I think there are a group of ADs and administrators around the state that are secretly boiling because the football titles are typically shared by some combination of 10 or 11 schools. I could be as wet as an umbrella in Seattle, I just think this stems more from that issue, at some level, than the public / private debate. Agreed HS! My feeling is that if a split were ordered, a few names might change; but the dominance by a handful would not!!
September 9, 200521 yr I did not say raid or insinuate raid. Again, from my perspective, a good many parents who spend the time and resources to allow their child to participate in the junior golf programs will consider spending the time and money for a private school. I have stated in the past that my children participate in those programs and if there were a Christian school, like Calvary Christian, that was a realitic and feasible option for my children, I would strongly consider it. I don't feel these schools should be penalized but that is the situation that exists. I do wonder where the girl golfers in Campbell County end up then. Highlands is a good program, but with what you say about Brossart and knowing the situation in NCC and Campbell County, where do they go? I think it's a "lack of numbers" problem, period. Not to turn this into a golf discussion, but junior golf in general (boys or girls) is somewhat limited around here to the private clubs, and only a small portion of those!! The 7-Up tour is very active and does a great job, but is not a beginner's tour.
September 9, 200521 yr I did not say raid or insinuate raid. Again, from my perspective, a good many parents who spend the time and resources to allow their child to participate in the junior golf programs will consider spending the time and money for a private school. I have stated in the past that my children participate in those programs and if there were a Christian school, like Calvary Christian, that was a realitic and feasible option for my children, I would strongly consider it. I don't feel these schools should be penalized but that is the situation that exists. I do wonder where the girl golfers in Campbell County end up then. Highlands is a good program, but with what you say about Brossart and knowing the situation in NCC and Campbell County, where do they go? Also no country clubs out here, only Highlands and I don't hear much about their junior programs.
September 9, 200521 yr I did not say raid or insinuate raid. Again, from my perspective, a good many parents who spend the time and resources to allow their child to participate in the junior golf programs will consider spending the time and money for a private school. I have stated in the past that my children participate in those programs and if there were a Christian school, like Calvary Christian, that was a realitic and feasible option for my children, I would strongly consider it. I don't feel these schools should be penalized but that is the situation that exists. I do wonder where the girl golfers in Campbell County end up then. Highlands is a good program, but with what you say about Brossart and knowing the situation in NCC and Campbell County, where do they go? They "go" to volleyball and soccer and cross-country or are getting ready for basketball season or work after school because girls golf is just not a big draw at those schools compared to the other sports. Now if a girl was a premier golfer and had a definate possibility of playing in college on a scholly then she may end up at Notre Dame (golf power) or at Highlands. Why would she go to a school (Brossart, NCC, Campbell Co.) that may or may not field a team? Is that an advantage for ND or Highlands? Yes. Should they be penalized? No.
September 9, 200521 yr Also no country clubs out here, only Highlands and I don't hear much about their junior programs. Hickory Sticks and Flagg Springs (or are they public courses where you can become members) on the southeast end of Campbell County, not to mention the county park at AJJolly.
September 9, 200521 yr They "go" to volleyball and soccer and cross-country or are getting ready for basketball season or work after school because girls golf is just not a big draw at those schools compared to the other sports. Now if a girl was a premier golfer and had a definate possibility of playing in college on a scholly then she may end up at Notre Dame (golf power) or at Highlands. Why would she go to a school (Brossart, NCC, Campbell Co.) that may or may not field a team? Is that an advantage for ND or Highlands? Yes. Should they be penalized? No. I agree. It seems at times that supporters of private schools are afraid to admit they have an advantage. Most do but should not be penalized. Just like public schools have advantage in resources and funds. That is just the way it is.
September 9, 200521 yr Football--Beechwood in 1-A and Highlands in 3-A, both public schools!! I am told that any student outside of the area served by "city" schools must pay a fee (tuition). Are there any cases where students receive aid in paying these fees? If so, the groundwork has already begun to eliminate these so called public schools as well. Last years motion tried to eliminate any athlete that received financial aid. I guess free tuition, books, transportation and sometimes meals don't count. I'm sure that the "great levelers" won't be content to just banish the private schools. They will soon seek to limit the traditionally successful public schools to their "fair share" of winning in due time.
September 9, 200521 yr The one thing that everyone needs to realize too, is that this proposal and vote is not coming from the supposed "ivory" tower (that some sarcastically refer to) in Lexington. This proposal would be from a school, assuming public, and the vote will be made by the schools. The HS across the state will decide this issue, not the board of control or the commissioner's office. So don't rake them over the coals, no matter how the vote goes. Yes, the schools will vote on the issue, but no matter how the vote comes out it still has to be approved by the Board of Control and then the State Board of Education.
September 9, 200521 yr They "go" to volleyball and soccer and cross-country or are getting ready for basketball season or work after school because girls golf is just not a big draw at those schools compared to the other sports. Now if a girl was a premier golfer and had a definate possibility of playing in college on a scholly then she may end up at Notre Dame (golf power) or at Highlands. Why would she go to a school (Brossart, NCC, Campbell Co.) that may or may not field a team? Is that an advantage for ND or Highlands? Yes. Should they be penalized? No.[/QUOTE] I agree. It seems at times that supporters of private schools are afraid to admit they have an advantage. Most do but should not be penalized. Just like public schools have advantage in resources and funds. That is just the way it is. But where is the advantage???? In the example above the girl golfer is likely to migrate FROM two private schools and a public school TO a Public school or a Private school. How exactly does Notre Dame or Highlands have an advantage in Girls Golf??? Because they are sucessful??? And note that if this was a Girl Cross Country runner Brossart has a multiple State championships. What is their advantage in Cross-Country??? Why doesn't it apply to Golf?
September 9, 200521 yr But where is the advantage???? In the example above the girl golfer is likely to migrate FROM two private schools and a public school TO a Public school or a Private school. How exactly does Notre Dame or Highlands have an advantage in Girls Golf??? Because they are sucessful??? And note that if this was a Girl Cross Country runner Brossart has a multiple State championships. What is their advantage in Cross-Country??? Why doesn't it apply to Golf? Let me first say this at the beginning and not the end. I don't see an advantage to be a straight shot to splitting the schools up. Schools have advantages. It is that simple. Kenton County and Boone County has a ton of junior golf programs and a bunch of country clubs. Generally, the parents who can afford to be a member of a country club, will be the parents to consider a private school. Highlands has a country club. Advantages that the other schools in Campbell County do not have. As far as Brossart, I can tell you that the Pendleton Country Club has a lot of members that's children attend Brossart and live in Campbell County not Pendleton County. I have been told by a member at Pendleton Country Club, I am not one, that the majority of members are from Campbell County.
September 9, 200521 yr Let me first say this at the beginning and not the end. I don't see an advantage to be a straight shot to splitting the schools up. Schools have advantages. It is that simple. Kenton County and Boone County has a ton of junior golf programs and a bunch of country clubs. Generally, the parents who can afford to be a member of a country club, will be the parents to consider a private school. Highlands has a country club. Advantages that the other schools in Campbell County do not have. As far as Brossart, I can tell you that the Pendleton Country Club has a lot of members that's children attend Brossart and live in Campbell County not Pendleton County. I have been told by a member at Pendleton Country Club, I am not one, that the majority of members are from Campbell County. I could be wrong but I think the city of Fort Thomas has a Country Club in it not Highlands has a country club. And I have never explored it but can't anyone join a country club if they have enough dough? Maybe someone has to invite you or something I don't know. Why wouldn't Pendelton Country high school be a Golf Power if there is a CC there and the parents of those kids do not have to pay tuition to a private school thereby freeing up the dough? Would that not be an advantage?
September 9, 200521 yr I could be wrong but I think the city of Fort Thomas has a Country Club in it not Highlands has a country club. And I have never explored it but can't anyone join a country club if they have enough dough? Maybe someone has to invite you or something I don't know. Why wouldn't Pendelton Country high school be a Golf Power if there is a CC there and the parents of those kids do not have to pay tuition to a private school thereby freeing up the dough? Would that not be an advantage? The Country Club is called Highlands Country Club. Was there last night. And yes, anyone that has enough dough can join a country club. A very large portion of public school students are in families that cannot join a country club. In some rural counties the ONLY golf course in the county is a country club. THat is your ONLY choice for golf in that county. As far as PC, you are making the assumption that parents of PC can afford to join the country club. Good portion of the county cannot afford that option. The boys side has had a very good golf team under the direction of Ron Stinson. They qualified for state a few years back and have a player playing at NKU. While this success was occurring, each of the team's players that were outstanding players were members of the country club. IN rural counties, it goes in cycles and NOT a year in and year out thing. For the girls team, the cycle will hopefully be in a few years. Out of 14 players, 1 senior, 3 sophomores, 2 8th graders, 2 7th graders, 4 6th graders and 3 elementary. The 2 8th graders and two of the 6th graders are members. 1 of the elementary golfers are members. Rest are not. As far as Pendleton Country Club, I have had a member tell me that the CC has changed over the past few years. The majority of the members are from Campbell County and a good number of members' children attend Brossart. I know the Brossart boys team has used the PCC driving range for practice and I believe their coach is a member at PCC.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.