Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Cincinnati Reds Offseason

Featured Replies

  • Author

Apparently Damon has told the Tigers that he wants to play there.

  • Replies 219
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Janish is the primary backup infielder, and at this point he has much more value than Miles.

Miles has had one decent season, his last year in St. Louis. Other than that, he's been consistently below average. He simply isn't a good player.

 

Miles hit .293 with a .329 OBP in 134 games in '04 for Colorado. In 522 AB's, he had 15 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HR, 47 HR & 12 SB.

 

His second year in St. Louis he hit .290 with a .328 OBP in 133 games. 414 AB.

 

His final year in St. Louis he hit .317 with a .355 OBP in 134 games. 379 AB.

 

He's not an all-star, but to say he sucks is inaccurate.

Janish is the primary backup infielder, and at this point he has much more value than Miles.

Miles has had one decent season, his last year in St. Louis. Other than that, he's been consistently below average. He simply isn't a good player.

You certainly have your standards set very high for a role player. If .282 avg. and .322 obp is below average what do you feel about Brandon Phillips lifetime numbers, .265 avg, .312 obp. I understand he hits home runs and drives in runs but we are not talking about a starter here we are talking about a backup player. His numbers are very comparable to Jeff Keppinger, .279 avg, .333 obp; Craig Counsell, .258 avg, .345 obp; David Eckstein, .282 avg, .348 obp. These guys are still hanging around and helping teams fill a position when needed. Would you have the Reds continue to fill this role with the likes of Adam Rosales, .212 avg, .296 obp; Drew Sutton, .212 avg, .297 obp; Danny Richar (gone) and others? I just don't get your comments. "He simply isn't a good player". I can see there is no real reason to discuss these things with you as you are truly biased and probably can find no good in what the Reds try to do to improve the team given the finances of the organizations. Don't bother to reply as I am sure your response will be unjustified.

This was an excellent deal for the Reds, period!:thumb:

Miles hit .293 with a .329 OBP in 134 games in '04 for Colorado. In 522 AB's, he had 15 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HR, 47 HR & 12 SB.

 

His second year in St. Louis he hit .290 with a .328 OBP in 133 games. 414 AB.

 

His final year in St. Louis he hit .317 with a .355 OBP in 134 games. 379 AB.

 

He's not an all-star, but to say he sucks is inaccurate.

 

Agree. :thumb: I would take Miles as a back up any day of the week over Janish.

If nothing else it's addition by subtraction. I realize we've hammered the "you can't steal first base" line with Taveras. But did he ever steal a meaningful base last year? That would be a big fat negative. I suppose we'll see how fast he is. Perhaps fast enough to keep the door from hitting him in the fanny on the way out.

Miles hit .293 with a .329 OBP in 134 games in '04 for Colorado. In 522 AB's, he had 15 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HR, 47 HR & 12 SB.
You think those numbers are good in Colorado? And that was six years ago, when he was 27 years old. He's now 33 and way in the downside of his career.

His second year in St. Louis he hit .290 with a .328 OBP in 133 games. 414 AB.

 

His final year in St. Louis he hit .317 with a .355 OBP in 134 games. 379 AB.

 

He's not an all-star, but to say he sucks is inaccurate.

It doesn't really matter much what Miles did two or three or more years ago. It only matters what his level of performance is now. He wasn't a good player to begin with and now, at age 33, he's even worse.
You certainly have your standards set very high for a role player. If .282 avg. and .322 obp is below average what do you feel about Brandon Phillips lifetime numbers, .265 avg, .312 obp. I understand he hits home runs and drives in runs but we are not talking about a starter here we are talking about a backup player. His numbers are very comparable to Jeff Keppinger, .279 avg, .333 obp; Craig Counsell, .258 avg, .345 obp; David Eckstein, .282 avg, .348 obp. These guys are still hanging around and helping teams fill a position when needed. Would you have the Reds continue to fill this role with the likes of Adam Rosales, .212 avg, .296 obp; Drew Sutton, .212 avg, .297 obp; Danny Richar (gone) and others? I just don't get your comments. "He simply isn't a good player". I can see there is no real reason to discuss these things with you as you are truly biased and probably can find no good in what the Reds try to do to improve the team given the finances of the organizations. Don't bother to reply as I am sure your response will be unjustified.
What does it tell you when Oakland moves Miles for a guy that they immediately designate for assignment?

 

Janish has more value because of his fine defense. Miles' glove is nowhere close to Jansh's.

 

Biased? I'd say that most of the time, I'm on the money. You must not have been around here when I was the only poster that made the claim that the trade for Brandon Phillips (then a failed prospect) could turn out pretty well for the Reds. I also panned the signing of Taveras, when others were mesmerized by his speed.

 

I understand finances just fine ... the Reds ditched Taveras and his contract, and that's fine for them. But let's not pretend that they got anything of value for him.

 

If you think Miles will help the Reds, you need to take off the red-colored glasses.

Agree. :thumb: I would take Miles as a back up any day of the week over Janish.
Neither one of them will hit. Janish is a fine defender. Miles isn't.

Juan Francisco is a Dominican League All-Star and he won a Gold Glove.

What does it tell you when Oakland moves Miles for a guy that they immediately designate for assignment?

 

Janish has more value because of his fine defense. Miles' glove is nowhere close to Jansh's.

 

Biased? I'd say that most of the time, I'm on the money. You must not have been around here when I was the only poster that made the claim that the trade for Brandon Phillips (then a failed prospect) could turn out pretty well for the Reds. I also panned the signing of Taveras, when others were mesmerized by his speed.

 

I understand finances just fine ... the Reds ditched Taveras and his contract, and that's fine for them. But let's not pretend that they got anything of value for him.

 

If you think Miles will help the Reds, you need to take off the red-colored glasses.

Yeah and I predicted the Reds would sweep the A's in the 1990 World Series. So you made a good call on Phillips? You didn't address my question of how you feel about Phillips lifetime .262 avg and .312 obp. This isn't even as high as Miles numbers and you said Miles is simply a bad player. Do you feel that Phillips is simply a bad player as well? Don't get me wrong on Phillips because I think he is one of the top 5 second baseman in baseball and Miles certainly is not anywhere near being in the same class, 5 years ago or today.

Yeah and I predicted the Reds would sweep the A's in the 1990 World Series. So you made a good call on Phillips? You didn't address my question of how you feel about Phillips lifetime .262 avg and .312 obp. This isn't even as high as Miles numbers and you said Miles is simply a bad player. Do you feel that Phillips is simply a bad player as well? Don't get me wrong on Phillips because I think he is one of the top 5 second baseman in baseball and Miles certainly is not anywhere near being in the same class, 5 years ago or today.

 

How about the fact that Miles will be 34 this season and his numbers are on the decline while Phillips will just be 29. Besides that obvious difference there is the fact that Phillips is a run producer whose value is not simply measured in his BA and OBP. His slugging percentage is more than 70 points higher than Miles for his career.

 

Personally I think it was a good trade for the Reds who in essence traded Taveras and Rosales for Cabrera and Miles. Miles might not be a very good player at this point but since you now have a middle infield that misses hardly any games he shouldn't be used too often.

Juan Francisco is a Dominican League All-Star and he won a Gold Glove.

 

Did he play any leftfield?

Did he play any leftfield?

 

Not that I know of.

How about the fact that Miles will be 34 this season and his numbers are on the decline while Phillips will just be 29. Besides that obvious difference there is the fact that Phillips is a run producer whose value is not simply measured in his BA and OBP. His slugging percentage is more than 70 points higher than Miles for his career.

 

Personally I think it was a good trade for the Reds who in essence traded Taveras and Rosales for Cabrera and Miles. Miles might not be a very good player at this point but since you now have a middle infield that misses hardly any games he shouldn't be used too often.

 

I think that's what EZ is saying. He won't be used very often and he is better than Taveras and they are paying him less. He's not terrible for a guy you're hoping for 2-4 starts a month. He also could be used to pinch hit.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.