February 3, 201016 yr So you made a good call on Phillips? You didn't address my question of how you feel about Phillips lifetime .262 avg and .312 obp. This isn't even as high as Miles numbers and you said Miles is simply a bad player. Do you feel that Phillips is simply a bad player as well? Don't get me wrong on Phillips because I think he is one of the top 5 second baseman in baseball and Miles certainly is not anywhere near being in the same class, 5 years ago or today.You accused me of being biased against any move the Reds make. I'm telling you that it isn't true. If they make what I think is a good move, I will say it. I just don't look at things through red-colored glasses. Phillips' power, run production and defense make him a useful player ... I don't know that he's one of the top five in baseball. Miles is lucky to have a spot on a major league roster.
February 3, 201016 yr You accused me of being biased against any move the Reds make. I'm telling you that it isn't true. If they make what I think is a good move, I will say it. I just don't look at things through red-colored glasses. Phillips' power, run production and defense make him a useful player ... I don't know that he's one of the top five in baseball. Miles is lucky to have a spot on a major league roster. I don't think people were ready to put him in the HOF. He said he would be a good backup b/c the starters were set and they got rid of Taveras. Would you rather have Miles as a utility infielder who hits better than Janish or Taveras on the current roster? He also makes less so he saved them money.
February 3, 201016 yr I don't think people were ready to put him in the HOF. He said he would be a good backup b/c the starters were set and they got rid of Taveras. Would you rather have Miles as a utility infielder who hits better than Janish or Taveras on the current roster? He also makes less so he saved them money.Will Miles hit better than Janish or Taveras? He certainly didn't last year. Besides, those guys have some defensive value, and Taveras can run ... Miles doesn't have those qualities. He can play 2B, but he just kind of hangs out at the other spots.
February 3, 201016 yr Will Miles hit better than Janish or Taveras? He certainly didn't last year. Besides, those guys have some defensive value, and Taveras can run ... Miles doesn't have those qualities. He can play 2B, but he just kind of hangs out at the other spots. I guess we have beat this one to death but I want to make one more point. Miles plate appearances and average declined last year due to injuries. If his numbers aren't better this year than I would be the first to admit that maybe he is getting long in the tooth but Taveras was flat out terrible last year in every category and he took up valuable space on the bench when he wasn't starting. I thought coming in that he would help defensively in centerfield but boy was I wrong there. I watched a lot of games (25 in person and 75-100 on tv) and he clearly takes 2 steps back on every ball hit his way. He never seems to get to a ball hit in front of him so don't say that he had value defensively. On base he acted like he had never seen the opposing pitchers in his life. He never seemed to get a good enough read to steal a base and unfortunately you can't steal first. I just think that you have something against Miles that I can't understand. I have several friends who are HUGE Cardinals fans and they felt this was an excellent addition to the bench. As for Janish fortunately we shouldn't have to worry about whether he hits or not because Cabrera has a record of playing a lot of games. Janish may play once a week and personally that is enough for me. He just can't hit big league pitching and Rosales falls in that same category!!
February 3, 201016 yr I guess we have beat this one to death but I want to make one more point. Miles plate appearances and average declined last year due to injuries. I just think that you have something against Miles that I can't understand. I have several friends who are HUGE Cardinals fans and they felt this was an excellent addition to the bench. Ask those Cardinal fans if they want Miles back. The Cardinals made no effort to re-sign him, even when he was coming off his best year ... there is a reason for that. Cardinal fans have a penchant for adopting little hustling white guys ... Joe McEwing, Rex Hudler, Bo Hart, David Eckstein and Aaron Miles among them. Look at his actual numbers and performance ... tell me one year (aside from 2008, which was OK) that could really be considered good. Miles' lousy performance had nothing to do with injuries. He simply was terrible, and there was no reason to expect him to be anything but that.
February 3, 201016 yr Ask those Cardinal fans if they want Miles back. The Cardinals made no effort to re-sign him, even when he was coming off his best year ... there is a reason for that. Cardinal fans have a penchant for adopting little hustling white guys ... Joe McEwing, Rex Hudler, Bo Hart, David Eckstein and Aaron Miles among them. Look at his actual numbers and performance ... tell me one year (aside from 2008, which was OK) that could really be considered good. Miles' lousy performance had nothing to do with injuries. He simply was terrible, and there was no reason to expect him to be anything but that. Actually Tony Larussa lobbied to resign Aaron Mile instead of keeping Adam Kennedy in the fall of 08 and management refused to go that route. That was the second time that the Cards had non-tendered Miles even though they signed him back in 08. They gave Kennedy a lot of money and Miles signed as a FA with the Cubs. Miles was hurt in spring training and probably should have gone on the DL but he played hurt. As it turned out the Cards ended up releasing Kennedy early in 09 and ended up looking elsewhere for someone to fill the void. They would have loved to have had Miles in 09.
February 4, 201016 yr Will Miles hit better than Janish or Taveras? He certainly didn't last year. Besides, those guys have some defensive value, and Taveras can run ... Miles doesn't have those qualities. He can play 2B, but he just kind of hangs out at the other spots. You do know that we're talking about a backup infielder rather than the leadoff hitter and every day center fielder right? If nothing else this saves the Reds money and the idiot managet can't run Taveras out there to leadoff b/c of his speed. If Miles hits .270 (might be a stretch) in 100 AB's it's gravy.
February 4, 201016 yr Actually Tony Larussa lobbied to resign Aaron Mile instead of keeping Adam Kennedy in the fall of 08 and management refused to go that route. That was the second time that the Cards had non-tendered Miles even though they signed him back in 08. They gave Kennedy a lot of money and Miles signed as a FA with the Cubs. Miles was hurt in spring training and probably should have gone on the DL but he played hurt. As it turned out the Cards ended up releasing Kennedy early in 09 and ended up looking elsewhere for someone to fill the void. They would have loved to have had Miles in 09.Yeah, right ... they liked Miles so much that they let him go and moved an outfielder to second base.
February 4, 201016 yr You do know that we're talking about a backup infielder rather than the leadoff hitter and every day center fielder right? If nothing else this saves the Reds money and the idiot managet can't run Taveras out there to leadoff b/c of his speed. If Miles hits .270 (might be a stretch) in 100 AB's it's gravy.Taveras wasn't going to be a starter with the Reds this year. If he had been on the roster, it would have been as a backup outfielder.
February 4, 201016 yr Thank God pitchers and catcher report soon, we have been talking about Aaron Miles and Taveras for like a week. :lol:
February 4, 201016 yr Taveras wasn't going to be a starter with the Reds this year. If he had been on the roster, it would have been as a backup outfielder. You never know with Dusty. Now there is no chance he is leading off and playing CF for the Reds.
February 4, 201016 yr You never know with Dusty. Now there is no chance he is leading off and playing CF for the Reds. Exactly.
February 4, 201016 yr Thank God pitchers and catcher report soon, we have been talking about Aaron Miles and Taveras for like a week. :lol: You're right. I think I have Westsider figured out and I won't even bring Miles up again. I'm sure Westsider will be sure to do so if Miles has a repeat of his 2009 numbers and cost the Red's games with errors and Taveras steals 60 for the A's and Rosales somehow finds a way to become a major league player. Lot of IFs huh? Consider the Miles discussion ended, bring on Spring training. I think there will be more trades or pickups to discuss.
February 4, 201016 yr You're right. I think I have Westsider figured out and I won't even bring Miles up again. I'm sure Westsider will be sure to do so if Miles has a repeat of his 2009 numbers and cost the Red's games with errors and Taveras steals 60 for the A's and Rosales somehow finds a way to become a major league player. Lot of IFs huh? Consider the Miles discussion ended, bring on Spring training. I think there will be more trades or pickups to discuss.Miles' worth as a player was what we were discussing, not Tavares and Rosales. I wouldn't expect any of the three to do much this year.
February 4, 201016 yr Miles' worth as a player was what we were discussing, not Tavares and Rosales. I wouldn't expect any of the three to do much this year. Let's hope there are a few more moves to discuss and I'll let you have the last word on this one. It's good to have something to help pass the time this time of the year.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.