October 29, 200916 yr Well, as we all watch the World Series and wish that the Reds were still playing, what do you think the Reds should do this offseason? There are quite a few issues that need to be addressed. Left Field What do we do with Jonny Gomes? Do we offer him arbitration and try to keep him around? He had a great year last year and provides a solid right handed bat. Chris Heisy has been crushing the ball this offseason. Should he get a shot at LF? What about Nix? Balentien? Dickerson? Centerfield I think the job is Drew Stubbs' to lose. Taveras was awful, yet we'll be paying him $4 million next year. For that reason alone, he'll probably remain on the roster; however, how can a small market team justify having a $4 million bench player who can only play 1 position and cannot hit worth a lick? Shorstop What do we do at shortstop? Paul Janish was up & down. He had some great stretches & some horrible stretches. I still think he's an upgrade over Gonzalex, but I don't think Janish is the starting SS on a playoff team. The problem is, who could we get? I think you have to let Ramon Hernandez go. I liked him, but we simply cannot afford him. Pitching Staff Do we trade Cordero? I think we would if we could; however, I don't know if it is worth it considering we'd have to pay a significant portion of his contract. Do we trade Harang? I don't think we can, for many of the same reasons as Cordero. Do we trade Arroyo? I don't think we should - the guy was en fuego in the 2nd half last season and, even with his ups & downs, you have a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table. Because of his consistency & Volquez's injury, I think Arroyo remains a Red. Thoughts? Input? Comments?
October 29, 200916 yr Well, as we all watch the World Series and wish that the Reds were still playing, what do you think the Reds should do this offseason? There are quite a few issues that need to be addressed. Left Field What do we do with Jonny Gomes? Do we offer him arbitration and try to keep him around? He had a great year last year and provides a solid right handed bat. Chris Heisy has been crushing the ball this offseason. Should he get a shot at LF? What about Nix? Balentien? Dickerson? Centerfield I think the job is Drew Stubbs' to lose. Taveras was awful, yet we'll be paying him $4 million next year. For that reason alone, he'll probably remain on the roster; however, how can a small market team justify having a $4 million bench player who can only play 1 position and cannot hit worth a lick? Shorstop What do we do at shortstop? Paul Janish was up & down. He had some great stretches & some horrible stretches. I still think he's an upgrade over Gonzalex, but I don't think Janish is the starting SS on a playoff team. The problem is, who could we get? I think you have to let Ramon Hernandez go. I liked him, but we simply cannot afford him. Pitching Staff Do we trade Cordero? I think we would if we could; however, I don't know if it is worth it considering we'd have to pay a significant portion of his contract. Do we trade Harang? I don't think we can, for many of the same reasons as Cordero. Do we trade Arroyo? I don't think we should - the guy was en fuego in the 2nd half last season and, even with his ups & downs, you have a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table. Because of his consistency & Volquez's injury, I think Arroyo remains a Red. Thoughts? Input? Comments? This is a young team especially for the spot in Left field. I liked Balentien for the time that he was playing but I just think it either belongs to Gomes (if we can get him back) or Heisey. I think we leave Heisey down for the start but eventually he comes up. I can't stand Taveras but I like Stubbs. He still has more learning to do and I think he'll be fine out there. Taveras can stay as a 4 million dollar pinch runner??? :idunno: I would like to sign a free agent 2nd basemen (Juan Uribe from SF or maybe an Orlando Hudson from Arizona) and move Phillips to short as it would more than likely save the Reds some cash. Trade Harang, keep the rest.
October 29, 200916 yr What's going to happen with catcher? Well you obviously have Hanigan coming back as one of the catchers, and I think the Reds will decline the option on Hernandez, and try to bring him back at a cheaper price. Whether they are able to do that is the million dollar question though.
October 29, 200916 yr Author Well you obviously have Hanigan coming back as one of the catchers, and I think the Reds will decline the option on Hernandez, and try to bring him back at a cheaper price. Whether they are able to do that is the million dollar question though. :thumb: I think Hanigan has proven that he's a serviceable catcher. I'd love to keep Hernandez, but I think he's going to be too expensive. Although he says that he loves Cincinnati, the fact remains that we cannot offer him the type of money that he's been making. He'll look elsewhere. No way we keep Corky Miller as our 2nd catcher. I think we'll sign a cheap back up & make Hanigan the starter. I also forgot to mention Juan Francisco in my opening post. I think he'll start the year at AAA, with Heisey.
October 29, 200916 yr Author This is a young team especially for the spot in Left field. I liked Balentien for the time that he was playing but I just think it either belongs to Gomes (if we can get him back) or Heisey. I think we leave Heisey down for the start but eventually he comes up. I can't stand Taveras but I like Stubbs. He still has more learning to do and I think he'll be fine out there. Taveras can stay as a 4 million dollar pinch runner??? :idunno: I would like to sign a free agent 2nd basemen (Juan Uribe from SF or maybe an Orlando Hudson from Arizona) and move Phillips to short as it would more than likely save the Reds some cash. Trade Harang, keep the rest. I don't think Balentien is the answer in LF. I think we'll see Gomes be the opening day starter and have him platoon with Dickerson in LF. Dickerson can also split some time with Stubbs in CF. Pretty sure Hudson plays for the Dodgers. He's too expensive, anyway. I like the idea of moving Phillips to short, and I've been a proponent of that for a while; however, I don't think it's going to happen. Harang has very little trade value & will remain a Red for that reason. You cannot trade somebody with that big of a contract without eating a significant portion of it. If we have to pay Harang over $5 mill or so, it's not worth it.
October 29, 200916 yr No way you can enter next season with Hannigan Janish starting. They are both great defensive players, but you can't two spots in the order incapable of driving in runs.
October 29, 200916 yr No way you can enter next season with Hannigan Janish starting. They are both great defensive players, but you can't two spots in the order incapable of driving in runs. I agree about Janish, disagree about Hannigan. When was the last catcher in Cincinnati who drove in runs?
October 29, 200916 yr Cordero, Harang, Arroyo - IMO, 1, if not 2, will be gone. Significant free agent signings = 0. All starters will come from within the organization.
October 29, 200916 yr I agree about Janish, disagree about Hannigan. When was the last catcher in Cincinnati who drove in runs? Hernandez last year drove in 37 in 81 games. That would be fine. You can't drive in 11 runs in 90 games like Hannigan did, that won't get it done. I think Janish or Hannigan, not both. One of those positions will have to be replaced with someone else though.
October 29, 200916 yr Hernandez last year drove in 37 in 81 games. That would be fine. You can't drive in 11 runs in 90 games like Hannigan did, that won't get it done. I think Janish or Hannigan, not both. One of those positions will have to be replaced with someone else though. I agree. I vote Janish be gone-ish.
October 29, 200916 yr Author Reds' 1st round pick Mike Leake was 0-1 with a 1.04 ERA after 3 appearances in the AZ Fall League. He allowed 13 hits in 8 2/3 innings. Chris Heisey continued to tear the cover off of the ball in the Arizona Fall League. He was hitting .422 with a .625 OBP% and a .822 slugging % through his 1st 45 AB's. Juan Francisco is continuing to develop in the outfield. Francisco hit .295 with 27 HR & 93 RBI this year in the minor leagues. He'll play his winter ball in the Dominican Republic. I think Bruce will be playing there too. Yonder Alonso, who has to be up to the big leagues by 2012, has been struggling. He hit .188 through his 1st 32 AB's, with 2 HR & 10 RBI. Remember that he was coming off of a broken bone (in his hand, I think.)
October 29, 200916 yr Author For everyone who doesn't like Paul Janish. Generally, he struggled - he only hit .211. But, with him in the 2-hole, the Reds went 23-12. With him starting at shortstop, the Reds went 36 - 27. Also, Edinson Volquez is "way ahead of schedule" and hopes to return by July 2010. I hope they don't rush him AT ALL, and I trust that they will not.
October 29, 200916 yr For everyone who doesn't like Paul Janish. Generally, he struggled - he only hit .211. But, with him in the 2-hole, the Reds went 23-12. With him starting at shortstop, the Reds went 36 - 27. Also, Edinson Volquez is "way ahead of schedule" and hopes to return by July 2010. I hope they don't rush him AT ALL, and I trust that they will not. Even though they had a good record with him hitting there, it makes no sense to hit a .211 hitter in the 2 hole. I don't think he had a lot to do with the late season success on offense. Now, his defense had a lot to do with it. And I don't care if they bring him back. But if they do he's got to be a 8 hitter in my opinion.
October 29, 200916 yr For the Reds to contend I think they have to have Gomes in left field. Buy out Hernandez and try to resign. As for short Janish plays great defense and will start. Defense like that is critical at GABP.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.