Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Cincinnati Reds Offseason

Featured Replies

  • Author
How long until the Reds trade Votto? Even with him having the trouble last year he could draw huge interest on the trading block. Small contract would be easy to move. With Alonso supposedly close why not move him before his contract is up?

 

The Reds won't and shouldn't trade Votto. He's our center piece.

 

Since when? The latest I had read was that he was going to play 2nd base in the Arizona Fall Leauge.

 

Frazier has played everywhere. I think they even gave him some time on the outfield. I think he'll be in the big leagues sooner rather than later at either SS or 2nd.

 

 

Alonzo was hitting only .182 in the fall league. He's not ready.

 

Yonder Alonso is not ready. He broke a bone (in his hand, I think) and has really struggled since he came back. But, the fact remains that he has to be up in the big leagues by 2012.

  • Replies 219
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
:thumb: I forgot he could play outfield!

 

Why does everybody say this?

 

When has Votto EVER played the outfield?

Why does everybody say this?

 

When has Votto EVER played the outfield?

 

I've just heard it rumored that he can. Never actually seen it myself, but have heard it several times. If memory serves me correctly wasn't he drafted as a catcher?

Since when? The latest I had read was that he was going to play 2nd base in the Arizona Fall Leauge.
He was playing a lot of third base and the outfield at Carolina, as I recall, a decent indication that his future isn't as a middle infielder. You just don't take a prospect that can hit and play the middle infield and just move him to weaker positions unless there are indications his future is on a corner spot.
Why does everybody say this?

 

When has Votto EVER played the outfield?

World Baseball Classic for Canada.

  • Author
World Baseball Classic for Canada.

 

Really?

 

Canada only played 2 games in '09, so he could not have gotten any extensive work in the outfield.

Votto played some LF for Louisville in 2007, as I recall ... not very well, so the story went.

  • Author
Votto played some LF for Louisville in 2007, as I recall ... not very well, so the story went.

 

It looks like in 2002, he played 7 games at catcher for the GCL Reds. He played 19 games @ 3rd, and 3 in the outfield.

 

In 2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006, he played strictly in the outfield.

 

According to this site, he played about 6 games in Left for the Reds in '07 (which I don't recall, at all.) Also, it says that he played 41 games in the OF in Louisville in '07.

 

I have no idea how credible this site is.

 

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Fielding/V/Joey-Votto.shtml

He was playing a lot of third base and the outfield at Carolina, as I recall, a decent indication that his future isn't as a middle infielder. You just don't take a prospect that can hit and play the middle infield and just move him to weaker positions unless there are indications his future is on a corner spot.

 

 

John Fay confirms my initial thought that the Reds have moved him to 2nd.

 

 

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Really?

 

Canada only played 2 games in '09, so he could not have gotten any extensive work in the outfield.

Dude, you said "has he EVER played it". So, please qualify if you want to specify how long. You're wrong, he has had some experience in the outfield as you've notated, no matter if it was stellar or not, I'd consider it an option if 1B becomes Yonder's.

  • Author
Dude, you said "has he EVER played it". So, please qualify if you want to specify how long. You're wrong, he has had some experience in the outfield as you've notated, no matter if it was stellar or not, I'd consider it an option if 1B becomes Yonder's.

 

Relax man, I know what I said. I didn't realize that he had played any outfield.

 

The point remains that he hasn't played it extensively & never at the major league level.

 

Take a deep breath & relax...

I am relaxed, sitting in front of the fire watching D.Wade. So, let me ask you Colonel, what would you do in left field if Yonder was ready, which by all accounts he's nowhere near, but for argument sake, let's say he was.

  • Author
I am relaxed, sitting in front of the fire watching D.Wade. So, let me ask you Colonel, what would you do in left field if Yonder was ready, which by all accounts he's nowhere near, but for argument sake, let's say he was.

 

Yonder is more than a year away. I think it was a mistake signing him to the ML deal, but that seemed to be the only way we could sign him & it was probably a better option than letting him walk.

 

If Yonder was hitting like Juan Francisco is in the minors, I don't know what I would do. If Votto was willing to move to LF, I'd consider it; however, I'd be more likely to move Alonso than Votto.

 

The problem is, if you're going to make a move like that, you have to do it NOW. Give Votto time to play Winter Ball in the outfield and come into spring training with some additional experience.

Yonder is more than a year away. I think it was a mistake signing him to the ML deal, but that seemed to be the only way we could sign him & it was probably a better option than letting him walk.

 

If Yonder was hitting like Juan Francisco is in the minors, I don't know what I would do. If Votto was willing to move to LF, I'd consider it; however, I'd be more likely to move Alonso than Votto.

 

The problem is, if you're going to make a move like that, you have to do it NOW. Give Votto time to play Winter Ball in the outfield and come into spring training with some additional experience.

I agree.

  • Author

Jared Burton & Nick Masset are arbitration eligible, a year earlier than most.

 

Micah Owings just missed being arbitration eligible.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.