Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Cincinnati Reds Offseason

Featured Replies

I was happy to get anything for Rosy and finally got rid of Tavares!

  • Replies 219
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've never seen me play second base. :lol: :lol:

 

Actually, Miles' contract is nearly as bad ...

 

 

Yes, but they also got cash in return, and it stated that they saved over $1 million in the deal. Plus without him on the roster Dusty can't play Taveras. :lol: Miles should also be able to spell Phillips and Rolen on occasion. Isn't he also a switch hitter? That's a plus coming off then bench. I like the deal.

He only made $2.2 m last year and he is a proven utility infielder who can hit. He hit .313 in 2008 but was hampered by a strained right shoulder and hyperextended right elbow last year and only 157 ABs, He is a lifetime .282 hitter and has a .972 fielding average. He can backup Phillips, Rolen and Cabrera without the Reds losing much on offense. He is also a switch hitter which makes him valuable off the bench. I think this is a great pickup for an outfielder who was a major flop @ $4m and a so called promising utility guy who hasn't proven he can hit at the Major league level.
If you want to believe that, fine ... he's a 33-year-old infielder that has a lifetime .678 OPS and isn't a plus defender.

 

He sucks.

Interesting. That is the first time I have ever seen or heard anything about him being drafted as a catcher. I have other links that show him being drafted as a 3B. I don't have them saved her at work, but can provide them when I get home.

 

I have also heard and seen it both ways.:idunno: When I once heard George Grande say it was 3B I knew it was really C though.:clap:

 

BTW, sorry if I sounded testy in that post. I just now read over it and see it sounded like a really smart butt of a comment. It wasn't intended that way. So here on the board for everyone to see, My bad LRCW.

  • Author
If you want to believe that, fine ... he's a 33-year-old infielder that has a lifetime .678 OPS and isn't a plus defender.

 

He sucks.

 

He's also a switch hitter who plays multiple positions with a lifetime batting average of .282 who will be playing in a reserve role.

 

It also means that we got rid of Willy Taveras, who was likely to hit at the top of the order when / if he played. Miles is an upgrade over both of them, and also cheaper.

 

The Reds also saved money in the deal, which they are using towards Cabrera's $3.02 million deal.

 

So Miles may suck, but it was a great deal.

  • Author

I was told that the A's have already DFA'ed Taveras, but can't find a link.

I have also heard and seen it both ways.:idunno: When I once heard George Grande say it was 3B I knew it was really C though.:clap:

 

BTW, sorry if I sounded testy in that post. I just now read over it and see it sounded like a really smart butt of a comment. It wasn't intended that way. So here on the board for everyone to see, My bad LRCW.

 

 

 

I certainly didn't take it as being a smart butt, so no problem. Here is one of the links that shows him being drafted as a 3B, so who really knows for sure.

 

 

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft/2002/8.shtml

I was told that the A's have already DFA'ed Taveras, but can't find a link.

 

 

John Fay mentions it on his blog, and says it was according to MLB.

 

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

If you want to believe that, fine ... he's a 33-year-old infielder that has a lifetime .678 OPS and isn't a plus defender.

 

He sucks.

So who would you rather have to back up the infielders, Rosales?? I would have thought you would say that Rosales sucks. What has he proven that he can do at the top level? Miles has at least played for a good organization and put up decent numbers when asked to fill in. The guy can come off the bench and play just about any position but catcher. With a .282 lifetime avg and .322 lifetime obp I would hardly say that those numbers suck. If you can justify this statement I would like to see the rationale. We're talking a backup here not an everyday player.

So who would you rather have to back up the infielders, Rosales??
Janish is the primary backup infielder, and at this point he has much more value than Miles.

Miles has at least played for a good organization and put up decent numbers when asked to fill in. The guy can come off the bench and play just about any position but catcher. With a .282 lifetime avg and .322 lifetime obp I would hardly say that those numbers suck. If you can justify this statement I would like to see the rationale. We're talking a backup here not an everyday player.
Miles has had one decent season, his last year in St. Louis. Other than that, he's been consistently below average. He simply isn't a good player.

If the Reds signed Damon there would be a buzz going into April.

If the Reds signed Damon there would be a buzz going into April.

 

Is there rumors to that actually happening?

Is there rumors to that actually happening?

 

1/5 teams interested in him. Gotta find his price he said he will have a time within a week or so.

1/5 teams interested in him. Gotta find his price he said he will have a time within a week or so.

 

I heard Reds and A's have dropped out. Braves, Rays, and Tigers still in talks. I don't see him going to the Rays to have to face the Yanks and the Sox in the same division. That would be torture.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.