AshlandTomcat

Who wins?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will pull for any KY team against out of state competition, so I wish the Tomcats the best in this one.

I will be surprised if they keep it within 3 scores, though with this Ironton squad. I think the Tigers will torch this Ashland defense, especially if Ashland tires in the 2nd half against them like they did in the Belfry game.

One thing about Ironton is they never beat themselves and they always take advantage of every mistake you make.

Hope I'm wrong but I'll predict a score of 31-8

Ironton may be a better team over all, but when friday rolles around great teams can fall to good teams any giving night. You can't measure a man's heart when him and 10 other guys want it more. I welcome Ironton in the putnam to see if they have what it takes. I hate to say it but the past ain't going to buy you a cup of coffee game night. If they lose I am wrong so be it, I will be the first to say. Good luck Tomcats have fun out there.

Great post. I would like to add something to this post. When i was a kid in the early 70's, Ashland expected to win this game. At the same time, Ironton hoped to win this game. Since Bob Lutz and his great assistant coaches arrived at Ironton, they instilled an "expectant winning attitude." When ironton's kids roll off the bus, they don't hope to win, they expect it. Thus, so does the entire fan base. That has been lacking at Ashland for over a decade now. Ashland "hopes" to finally win this year. Ironton "expects" to win again. You can tell it by reading posts on these websites and listening to alumni and fans from Ashland. It is up to the coaches and administration to instill that winning attitude back in the minds and hearts of Ashland players. it begins in little league.

Back in the 70's you would see those maroon shirts and you expected excellence on the football field. That is the attitude and mindset that must return to Ashland. When the alumni, fans and the kids all go to Putnam stadium expecting a win, you will know the tomcats are back. Until then, you just never know what team will show up.

I agree, whichever side of the bridge you play on is worth about 10 points. With that being said Ironton still wins by a TD or 2.

I have to disagree. Years ago I believe it was really like that. And its hard to get away from that image. But Ashland has no control over the refs they get. Its an excuse we all love to use. It's always easy to blame the refs. The team that lost will always use it. On the other hand. I don't know for sure but don't the Ohio school systems get to say who is going to ref the games. I may be wrong. Just what I've been told over the years. If so maybe by playing the game in Ashland. Ironton will lose 10 points:taz: :dancingpa

I want nothing more than to see the Tomcats improve to 5-0 but I am worried that won't happen. Ironton is very good and they have their mojo back. I had the priviledge to be in the locker room at Putnam in '04 or '05 (can't remember which year was at Putnam) and listening to the coaching staff prepare the Ironton players to go onto the field. When it came time for Coach Lutz to speak, he simply and calmly said, "Men, we have been kicking their "butts" since second grade and there's no sense in stopping now. It's time to go out and show 'em which side of the river plays the best football." A former Ironton coach says, "It's just Ashland." It is this kind of attitude the Ironton players and coaches have about this series. Until Ashland goes out and dominates them, they will continue this attitude.

Good luck Friday night and remain injury free.

I am of couse pulling for the Tomcats in his one. Playing at Putnam will definately help, both teams have powerhouse teams this season and it should be a classic. This one imo will be the bast chace Asland will have had for years and years and maybe the only one for a few more, I don't know.

Given that Ohio football is usually better than football on our side of the river(at least in this area) there is no legit reason to pick Ashland..............

(In an o.t.)

Ashland 28

Ironton 27

I have to disagree. Years ago I believe it was really like that. And its hard to get away from that image. But Ashland has no control over the refs they get. Its an excuse we all love to use. It's always easy to blame the refs. The team that lost will always use it. On the other hand. I don't know for sure but don't the Ohio school systems get to say who is going to ref the games. I may be wrong. Just what I've been told over the years. If so maybe by playing the game in Ashland. Ironton will lose 10 points:taz: :dancingpa

Most of the time I would agree with you. But I watched the refs keep Ashland in this game in 05. And that's not the only time it has happened. I will say in their defense, it isn't any better when you go across the river to play either. Example: when Beechwood came to Ironton a few years ago. So I actually enjoyed seeing it happen. This Ashland team is just as good or better than the 05 team. With that said is Ironton better than they were in 05?

Most of the time I would agree with you. But I watched the refs keep Ashland in this game in 05. And that's not the only time it has happened. I will say in their defense, it isn't any better when you go across the river to play either. Example: when Beechwood came to Ironton a few years ago. So I actually enjoyed seeing it happen. This Ashland team is just as good or better than the 05 team. With that said is Ironton better than they were in 05?

From what the coaching staff has said, yes.