Williamsburg, Corbin or Whitley County

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corbin plays a muderous schedule. I really have to compliment Coach Jewell on not avoiding good teams in a year that his club is rebuilding.

I think 4 wins, still wins their district. I'm having trouble finding more than 1 non district win though. I'm not saying the Redhounds will be bad, they just play such a tough non district schedule, that they are going to take their lumps.

The Hounds may be down, but will never avoid anyone! :ylsuper:

With Corbin's schedule, which I just looked at on the KHSAA site, I see a tough season for the Hounds. With the departures of many players, it could get messy. An 0-5 or 0-6 start could spell the end of the Jewell tenure. Heck everyone was on him last year when they struggled early.

Whiltey could surprise some people this year. Thet are truely on the border line a couple of breaks here and there and it could be a really nice comeback year at 7-3 or 8-2. Then again they could be very good and not have a better record than 5-5. For the season to have any meaning at all they need to get back to the playoffs.

Williamsburg could struggle with injuries in the preseason. but Jim Black is a excellant coach and they will compete every Friday night. Till Frazier gets back I won't comment.

Pulaski SW should be tough and I'd say will get the hounds 0-1

Corbin gets Pikeville if for no other reason, it is pigskin 1-1

South Laurel will be a tough one but the Hounds won't drop 3 in a row to the Cards. 2-1

LCA is an up and comer but I have a feeling Corbin gets the Eagles. 3-1

Bell will beat Corbin but not a whipping as both teams are rebuilding. 3-2

I don't know anything about them but I'm gonna say Pulaski will take this one. 3-3

Middlesboro will be better and Corbin lost a lot but there isn't a 56 point difference between last year and this year. Corbin wins to go 4-3

District Corbin should sweep although Garrard will be a tough game.

I think the teams are underestimating Corbin this year. Corbin's offense will be very explosive as they have possibly the best quarterback in the state behind Burke of LexCath and Fidler of Henderson. Not to mention they have a plethora of good recievers especially Blackwood and maybe getting another WR that is currently ranked the #1 player in his current district.

The line is a question mark but I have a feeling they will be okay. They aren't exactly bad players, they are just inexperienced. If nothing else, they are some hoss cats.

Also don't rule out a former starting running back or two coming back. I'm going out on a limb and will guarentee that one of them will be in Red and Silver next season. I just don't know which one just yet.

Remember 2002 was supposed to be a joke but they made it to Louisville.

With Corbin's schedule, which I just looked at on the KHSAA site, I see a tough season for the Hounds. With the departures of many players, it could get messy. An 0-5 or 0-6 start could spell the end of the Jewell tenure. Heck everyone was on him last year when they struggled early.

Whiltey could surprise some people this year. Thet are truely on the border line a couple of breaks here and there and it could be a really nice comeback year at 7-3 or 8-2. Then again they could be very good and not have a better record than 5-5. For the season to have any meaning at all they need to get back to the playoffs.

Williamsburg could struggle with injuries in the preseason. but Jim Black is a excellant coach and they will compete every Friday night. Till Frazier gets back I won't comment.

They are probably better off without some of the departed players, at least the ones who are there really wantt to wear the silver and red of the Redhounds.

Even if Corbin has a bad record this year, Jewell's job will be secure, which I'm sure you are really glad to hear. ;)

They are probably better off without some of the departed players, at least the ones who are there really wantt to wear the silver and red of the Redhounds.

Even if Corbin has a bad record this year, Jewell's job will be secure, which I'm sure you are really glad to hear. ;)

I want Steve Jewell to stay at Corbin forever.....which if he continues to run kids off, may not be long, heck it takes 11 to play.

Seriously, When most were on Jewell last year, I was a voice of reason stating that they would still win their district and move on in the playoffs, so you can't say I ALWAYS on him.

Whitley County appears to be onthe road to turning things around. Numbers are up, with 60-65 players out including freshmen. There are some injuries right now keeping some kids out of practice which is keeping numbers down. The Red Storm could dress 70 this year.

Tim Cooper the new offensive coordinator is really doing a good job. Coach Campbell has renewed the fire in the Red Storm camp and things are looking up.

I want Steve Jewell to stay at Corbin forever.....which if he continues to run kids off, may not be long, heck it takes 11 to play.

Seriously, When most were on Jewell last year, I was a voice of reason stating that they would still win their district and move on in the playoffs, so you can't say I ALWAYS on him.

Coach Jewell runs a tight ship, but I think that he realizes that when you don't have exceptional talent or you do not have a lot of kids to choose from, then you must try to outwork the opposition. Some kids(and some parents)do not like the hard work(in both the classroom & on the field) and discipline necessary to stick it out under Coach Jewell. But the ones who stay benefit from it in the long run. All you have to do is look at some of the academic accomplishments from last year's senior class to see that this is a fact. One player received a full academic scholarship to Vandy, two others to UL, another to Cumberland and one to Georgetown. Three of the players were Governor's Scholars and two were valedictorians of their class and the senior class of 15 players finished with a cumulative GPA of 3.5.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you look at the big picture, and surely the people in charge at CHS will, then the possibility of one bad season should not cost him his job.

Coach Jewell runs a tight ship, but I think that he realizes that when you don't have exceptional talent or you do not have a lot of kids to choose from, then you must try to outwork the opposition. Some kids(and some parents)do not like the hard work(in both the classroom & on the field) and discipline necessary to stick it out under Coach Jewell. But the ones who stay benefit from it in the long run. All you have to do is look at some of the academic accomplishments from last year's senior class to see that this is a fact. One player received a full academic scholarship to Vandy, two others to UL, another to Cumberland and one to Georgetown. Three of the players were Governor's Scholars and two were valedictorians of their class and the senior class of 15 players finished with a cumulative GPA of 3.5.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you look at the big picture, and surely the people in charge at CHS will, then the possibility of one bad season should not cost him his job.

Well said, and I hope you are right.

Pulaski SW should be tough and I'd say will get the hounds 0-1

Corbin gets Pikeville if for no other reason, it is pigskin 1-1

South Laurel will be a tough one but the Hounds won't drop 3 in a row to the Cards. 2-1

LCA is an up and comer but I have a feeling Corbin gets the Eagles. 3-1

Bell will beat Corbin but not a whipping as both teams are rebuilding. 3-2

I don't know anything about them but I'm gonna say Pulaski will take this one. 3-3

Middlesboro will be better and Corbin lost a lot but there isn't a 56 point difference between last year and this year. Corbin wins to go 4-3

You're dreaming. Pikeville beats Corbin. LCA has a good chance. And I don't think many people really believe that Corbin was 56 points better than Middlesoboro last year. I say they come through their 1st 7 either 1-6 or 2-5, either way they sweep the district and are district champs. The tough schedule will serve to get them ready.

You're dreaming. Pikeville beats Corbin. LCA has a good chance. And I don't think many people really believe that Corbin was 56 points better than Middlesoboro last year. I say they come through their 1st 7 either 1-6 or 2-5, either way they sweep the district and are district champs. The tough schedule will serve to get them ready.

It should have only been a 55 point win in that game. ;) In all seriousness, Middlesboro kind of quit on Coach Roark in that game leading to the huge margin. If the Redhounds can come up with a running game to keep the defenses honest, then they could win 6 or 7 games.

Williamsburg should be pretty strong up front. Depth will be a problem, but so what's new? Frazier should be ok by game 1, and Black can out scheme with the best. I say 7 wins and a return to the playoffs, 8 wins with a break here and there. Of course like anything else this is contingent on health. One thing I do know, Jim and his "boys" will show up every friday night with no forfiets!!!..

• 3 months later...