August 14, 200917 yr I feel like the media way overblew a lot of what Vick did. He was 100% wrong but the media made it worse IMO. I think it will be tough being out 2 years, coming in camp late and prodcuing early. When I think about Vick or a banged up Kolb I would want Vick. Philly isn't one of the teams I pictured when thinking about where he would go. I like A. Reid and McNabb will be good for him. I still think D.Mac has to be fuming inside though. I can see the pros I just think chemistry wise it might be a bad investment.
August 14, 200917 yr Author Since we are all on the pity Donavan McNabb theme, is there any chance that they went to him about the possibility of adding Vick before the decision was made? Or did I miss that one somewhere?
August 14, 200917 yr Since we are all on the pity Donavan McNabb theme, is there any chance that they went to him about the possibility of adding Vick before the decision was made? Or did I miss that one somewhere?Donovan, from all indications, signed off on this deal and actually lobbied for Vick. They are good friends off the field.
August 14, 200917 yr Even if he only plays 50 plays, defense will have to game plan for him. Who was more athletic? Low 4.2 speed with agility and ankle breaking moves. Find me someone who can top that. Vick could have played QB, RB, WR, or DB at the NFL level. I don't know of anyone else who could realistically do that. Even the people that he is compared to like Cunningham, Young, McNabb, etc. do not touch what he can do. Yes, he's the most athletic player I have ever seen in the NFL. ^^^Possibly, you could make an argument for Randy Moss though. I don't see anyone else. Perhaps Barry Sanders as well...but I agree with you. Either way, no one knows if Vick can run routes, which is more of a concern than catching the ball. But I like this move for the Eagles...
August 14, 200917 yr Author Donovan, from all indications, signed off on this deal and actually lobbied for Vick. They are good friends off the field. Then why in the flip are we lamenting over the poor Donavan thing? Sounds like he welcomed him yet seems like some here are convinced the Eagles screwed him once again. I don't get it.
August 14, 200917 yr You could say it like that, but for a guy with his abilities and talent, you could also say that once he gets back into football shape, which could take a month or two, he will at the very least be as good as the average NFL player. To say he wasn't one of the best athletes, if not the best, in the NFL 2 years ago isn't an accurate statement. To think he can't come back is unrealistic. It's not like he'll be the first person to sit out for a year or two and then come back and play again. I also don't think he is going to be a receiver in the mold of Moss or Owens. I think people mean it in the Wildcat offense, which isn't your typical offense. He is being brought in as a qb, not a wr. No one is saying he is going to come back and make the Pro Bowl, but I think it is very reasonable to see him start practice on Friday, play in the last 2 preseason games, practice every day with the team until mid October, and then come back and play a bit role in the Eagles drive to the Super Bowl. I don't think that is asking too much. I think you really don't like him and want to see him fail, and that is your right. I think and hope he'll be fine. I guess we'll see. :thumb: Not everyone is a pure skilled athlete as Vick was, one has to assume he has zero problem with doing anything skilled in the NFL, sure he will be rusty after sitting out for 2 years, but I'm sure after camp he will be close to being back. Phenoms as Vick just don't lose their natural ability. I was really hoping to see him in Denver but I hate the Eagles also but I hope he does well. I hate the crime he committed but his case has been the biggest witch hunt in American sports. He has paid his time and then some for his actions, time to let him back into society without further judgement. HB20, I think you are comparing him to some drug addict who recidivates over and over and over, his crimes fall into another category of actual rehabilitation. I don't feel he'll have any dog rings in his back yards, whereas it is hard to tell a junkie not to take a tylenol, etc. and get hooked again, then stealm manipulate, etc. His crimes can actually be treated, considering he isn't foaming at the mouth to see dogs fight again.:puke:
August 14, 200917 yr I don't know if any of you all have seen/heard the quotes from PETA vs. the Humane society but they are definitely singing two different tunes on this topic.
August 14, 200917 yr Any examples of former QB's who turned in to a very good wide receiver? Some have already been given. Here's another, Anquan Boldin. BTW, saying Ward isn't a good NFL player is a bit of a stretch. He wasn't that good at QB IMO. He wasn't the worst one in the league, but he wasn't that good. He has athleticism, I'm not denying that. I just don't see him as the most athletic person in the NFL now, much less ever. Yeah because horrible QB's take a team with no talent and turn them into a playoff team. Vick may not be the boring pocket passer that traditionalist have to have in the backfield, but he won, mostly with pretty bad talent.
August 14, 200917 yr I don't know if any of you all have seen/heard the quotes from PETA vs. the Humane society but they are definitely singing two different tunes on this topic. I watched a special on PETA one time... very disturbing. I am all about their cause of the protection of animals, but a lot of the people ingrained in that organization go to great lengths to garner attention and they do 10X more harm than good.
August 14, 200917 yr Some have already been given. Here's another, Anquan Boldin. BTW, saying Ward isn't a good NFL player is a bit of a stretch. Yeah because horrible QB's take a team with no talent and turn them into a playoff team. Vick may not be the boring pocket passer that traditionalist have to have in the backfield, but he won, mostly with pretty bad talent. Also took Virginia Tech to the NC game.
August 14, 200917 yr I tired of people bashing Vick, give the guy a chance he has done his time in jail and people should get off his back. I really hope he proves all of his haters wrongs. Good Luck Vick.
August 14, 200917 yr I tired of people bashing Vick, give the guy a chance he has done his time in jail and people should get off his back. I really hope he proves all of his haters wrongs. Good Luck Vick. I am in the camp that believes Vick deserves a second chance. However, I am not going to fault the camp that believes he should still be out of the NFL. Like it or not, to many people what Vick did was extremely egregious and they he believe he got off light in the sense he did his time and is now back to making $1.7 million dollars. To 99.99% of Americans, there job is not going to be there for them to return to after committing such a crime. To millions of people, dogs are part of the family on par with all other family members. While Vick may be incurring some undue criticism, I do not think it is fair to say some of it is not legitimate.
August 14, 200917 yr Author I am in the camp that believes Vick deserves a second chance. However, I am not going to fault the camp that believes he should still be out of the NFL. Like it or not, to many people what Vick did was extremely egregious and they he believe he got off light in the sense he did his time and is now back to making $1.7 million dollars. To 99.99% of Americans, there job is not going to be there for them to return to after committing such a crime. To millions of people, dogs are part of the family on par with all other family members. While Vick may be incurring some undue criticism, I do not think it is fair to say some of it is not legitimate. Let's not forget that his 1.7 mil will be singularly doled out by a bankruptcy judge. I don't think Vick will so quickly return as deep into the lap of luxury he once enjoyed. Those he's indebted to will undoubtedly eat most of his earnings.
August 14, 200917 yr Let's not forget that his 1.7 mil will be singularly doled out by a bankruptcy judge. I don't think Vick will so quickly return as deep into the lap of luxury he once enjoyed. Those he's indebted to will undoubtedly eat most of his earnings. No doubt. But I would feel a lot better knowing I have 1.7 million to make than what I am making :lol: Still, unless he hits the lottery, being who he is with his skill set is about the best anyone could ask for considering the crime he committed.
August 14, 200917 yr I think we'll see Vick and McNabb in the backfield at the same time... :thumb: I like the move strictly from a personnel standpoint. You aren't hurting your team by adding talent like Vick. I'm assuming Philly is going to get creative on offense and design some plays/packages especially for Vick...at the least, that should include some Wildcat stuff and some HB-pass type plays with Vick as the HB obviously.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.