Sen. Jeff Sessions on Judge Sonia Sotomayor

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leatherneck, do you not feel that personal and political considerations were part of the Supreme Court ruling that ended the Florida recount in 2000?

I have no idea whether personal and political considerations influenced that ruling and thus cannot pass judgment on the justices. If they did, it was wrong in my opinion. If you agree with the Sotomayor line of thinking, being consistent, you'd have no problem with them using personal and political considerations in that ruling, correct?

I have no idea whether personal and political considerations influenced that ruling and thus cannot pass judgment on the justices. If they did, it was wrong in my opinion. If you agree with the Sotomayor line of thinking, being consistent, you'd have no problem with them using personal and political considerations in that ruling, correct?
That isn't what I'm saying. I would prefer those things not come into play, but I would be naive in assuming that they don't.

That isn't what I'm saying. I would prefer those things not come into play, but I would be naive in assuming that they don't.

So shouldn't you be critical of Sotomayor for it then and not discount it because you think everyone does it? The argument of "well the other side is doing it" is wearing thin around here. The other side shouldn't even be in this discussion. This is about Sotomayor, the rest of the justices are already seated and there isn't much we can do about them.

So shouldn't you be critical of Sotomayor for it then and not discount it because you think everyone does it? The argument of "well the other side is doing it" is wearing thin around here. The other side shouldn't even be in this discussion. This is about Sotomayor, the rest of the justices are already seated and there isn't much we can do about them.
That isn't my position. I'm not criticizing anyone here, and I'm certainly not using the "other side is doing it" argument.

Personally, I think some are exaggerating Sotomayor's comments in an effort to discredit her. And yes, that does occur on both sides.

That isn't my position. I'm not criticizing anyone here, and I'm certainly not using the "other side is doing it" argument.

Personally, I think some are exaggerating Sotomayor's comments in an effort to discredit her. And yes, that does occur on both sides.

That, in my opinion, is a worthy issue to discuss: just how strongly Sotomayor believes her life experiences should influence her legal decisions and whether her past decisions have indicated such influence. The appropriateness of using one's life experiences to base legal decisions isn't debatable in my opinion.