Court rejects challenge to 'don't ask, don't tell'

I am a person who supports WHOMEVER is willing and able to hold whatever position they qualify for in the military. I have not served in the military, but have friends (male and female) who have. One of my friends just qualified as a Marine Officer candidate...she's a female pilot.

Congratulations to her!

Thank you for your service, as I certainly do appreciate it. However, I don't believe that simply because you have served makes you right about an opinion that denies the right and privilege to others. If our military is protecting the rights and privileges of all Americans, then I definitely feel the right to serve should be one of those rights currently being denied.

From many assertions on this board when the rights of women and homesexuals to serve in the military come up, it seems that only heterosexual males have any right to the privilege of serving in the military, and to combat.

From reports that I've read, men who are captured have been raped as a part of their torture as well. I don't believe the risk of being captured and raped is any more heinous or great for females than males. However, the risk of a female being raped by one of the wonderful, privileged heterosexual males she serves WITH is about 33%. But no one ever talks about that. Is it that this is just considered something that women should have to get used to if in the military?

Maybe they had it coming to them.

Obviously, I am not being serious here. But how many times have we heard some variation of this?

Hearsay did answer my question about "sexual preference" not being a protected class. He is correct. I took it upon myself to do minimal research and it is not a protected class as is race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Maybe we will lose a bit more of the flat-earth mentality and change this one as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they had it coming to them.

Obviously, I am not being serious here. But how many times have we heard some variation of this?

Hearsay did answer my question about "sexual preference" not being a protected class. He is correct. I took it upon myself to do minimal research and it is not a protected class as is race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Maybe we will lose a bit more of the flat-earth mentality and change this one as well.

I got caught up in another reply and I didn't address his post, and it was my mistake in thinking that it was. I definitely think it should be, though.

I am a person who supports WHOMEVER is willing and able to hold whatever position they qualify for in the military. I have not served in the military, but have friends (male and female) who have. One of my friends just qualified as a Marine Officer candidate...she's a female pilot.

Congratulations to her!

Thank you for your service, as I certainly do appreciate it. However, I don't believe that simply because you have served makes you right about an opinion that denies the right and privilege to others. If our military is protecting the rights and privileges of all Americans, then I definitely feel the right to serve should be one of those rights currently being denied.

From many assertions on this board when the rights of women and homesexuals to serve in the military come up, it seems that only heterosexual males have any right to the privilege of serving in the military, and to combat.

From reports that I've read, men who are captured have been raped as a part of their torture as well. I don't believe the risk of being captured and raped is any more heinous or great for females than males. However, the risk of a female being raped by one of the wonderful, privileged heterosexual males she serves WITH is about 33%. But no one ever talks about that. Is it that this is just considered something that women should have to get used to if in the military?

I actually didn't give my opinion on wheather I thought it was right or wrong. I just said that the military doesn't follow the same rules our society follows and that the rules and regulations the miltary has established have been established for a reason and so far those rules and regulations has maintained our militaries status as the most elite fighting force in the world and that is what keeps our country free to have the rights and priviledges we have. However, I would like to say I have opinions on many subjects it doen't make my opinion right or wrong it just makes them my opinions. On the same note you are entitled to your opinions but that doesn't make your opinions right or wrong as well, it just makes them your opinions. Everyone on here is so critical of everyone else's opinions telling each other they are wrong when in fact everyone's opinion is right for them. I like to read everyones opinion's because it allows me to see things from different perspectives and on some occassions my opinions change because of others opinions, but they are still my opinions and are right for me! As far as my remark about women being raped as a result of being captured I was just pointing out that sometimes the public out cry for something isn't what they really want once the bad side of it shows up. I personally am apaulled when I hear of any woman getting raped any where any time and I think it is even more apaulling when it happens in our military. But once again I never gave my opinion on the subject only my support for our military and their rules and regs. The only reason I mentioned anything about serving was for perspective. When you have personally been apart of something you understand the process better no matter what it is and no matter if it is positive or negative, experiencing it first hand allows for better understanding!IMHO!

I actually didn't give my opinion on wheather I thought it was right or wrong. I just said that the military doesn't follow the same rules our society follows and that the rules and regulations the miltary has established have been established for a reason and so far those rules and regulations has maintained our militaries status as the most elite fighting force in the world and that is what keeps our country free to have the rights and priviledges we have. However, I would like to say I have opinions on many subjects it doen't make my opinion right or wrong it just makes them my opinions. On the same note you are entitled to your opinions but that doesn't make your opinions right or wrong as well, it just makes them your opinions. Everyone on here is so critical of everyone else's opinions telling each other they are wrong when in fact everyone's opinion is right for them. I like to read everyones opinion's because it allows me to see things from different perspectives and on some occassions my opinions change because of others opinions, but they are still my opinions and are right for me! As far as my remark about women being raped as a result of being captured I was just pointing out that sometimes the public out cry for something isn't what they really want once the bad side of it shows up. I personally am apaulled when I hear of any woman getting raped any where any time and I think it is even more apaulling when it happens in our military. But once again I never gave my opinion on the subject only my support for our military and their rules and regs. The only reason I mentioned anything about serving was for perspective. When you have personally been apart of something you understand the process better no matter what it is and no matter if it is positive or negative, experiencing it first hand allows for better understanding!IMHO!

I wanted to commend you on the bolded. Though some see it as a sign of weakness, I do the same thing. When presented with other facts and points of view, some of my opinions have been changed or modified.

I'm not sure what medical community you are consulting with, but if blood of an HIV infected person gets in the eyes or mouth of a medical responder (particularly if the medical responder himself has an open wound in his mouth, but not necessary just if the medical responder has an open wound in his mouth), the medical responder does indeed run the risk of getting infected. To you that risk or likelihood may seem insignificant, but to me it seems significant enough to outweigh the "social benefits" of allowing gays to serve.

Google "transmission of HIV through an open wound".

And would you please stop the fear mongering silliness. It's rather childish.

I would've expected more from you...but don't worry, I have way too much going on to continue with this "silliness". :rolleyes: