Beechwood 3 Covington Catholic 1

Not my interpretation, just telling how it is enforced and called on a daily basis. I know we agree on the reason for the rule and I know we agree on the facts surrounding the rule. I just know how the umpires in this region make that call vesus how some in other regions might make the same call. And you're right, umpires shouldn't get to choose how or what, but the facts of the matter are, they do. As you saw last night. Umpiring is a tough "art" when it comes to stuff like this. Inhibiting play is as big a problem as making sure the rules are followed. In this particular case, I believe the umpire made a good decision. I've had a run-in or two in my day, but I believe in giving credit where due as well.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless your on the field and have the play happen in front of you, you don't know what your talking about. The call was right on the money.

Just good clean baseball.. Also its easy to be a Thursday morning quarterback when we have still pictures to study from.

Unless your on the field and have the play happen in front of you, you don't know what your talking about. The call was right on the money.

Just good clean baseball.. Also its easy to be a Thursday morning quarterback when we have still pictures to study from.

The call was not right on the money. Show me a rule that backs up your contention.

Its an umpire's job to make the right call. He didn't in this case. He either didn't know the rule (indefensible) or he froze.

Not my interpretation, just telling how it is enforced and called on a daily basis. I know we agree on the reason for the rule and I know we agree on the facts surrounding the rule. I just know how the umpires in this region make that call vesus how some in other regions might make the same call. And you're right, umpires shouldn't get to choose how or what, but the facts of the matter are, they do. As you saw last night. Umpiring is a tough "art" when it comes to stuff like this. Inhibiting play is as big a problem as making sure the rules are followed. In this particular case, I believe the umpire made a good decision. I've had a run-in or two in my day, but I believe in giving credit where due as well.

I think we're approaching this from different perspectives. Your "run in " comment tells me that you're approaching it from a coach's perspective. I've chosen to take on the challenge and responsibility of being responsible for enforcing rules in high school sporting events. So I don't come at it from a perspective of "good clean baseball" or "that's how its supposed to be played." I come at it from a rulebook perspective. When you have that responsibility you are required to know the rules inside and out. Did this umpire? Maybe. Maybe not. You don't get to choose which rules to enforce especially when its not something like a ball/strike issue. When the actual rulebook is your guide you go by what it says. Not by what fans think it should be. Not by what the MLB says their rules are. You go by the rulebook.

I shared these pictures with some veteran umpires today and the universal call was that it was a clear violation.

So , if you've had umpires let this play go when its as obvious as this one was, shame on them. They're not doing what they are there to do. They're, instead, acting like fans.

I respectfully disagree with your understanding of the rule and I don't feel you understand that the term "umpires judgment" is key to this whole situation. In his (the umpire's) judgment, he didn't feel the runner was trying to bend or stretch the rule. Now I can't speak for the guy in black working the game but I can speak from years of experience in either coaching and/or enforcing the rules and I felt he was correct in his call. The call was made in a matter of seconds while we have been able to study a well taken photograph over and over for hours.

Might I agree with BD77 above, what a game. A well pitched duel....

In addition to Snyders play this season and last night I would like to add great job by Larimore. I am not sure he has been behind the plate all year. I know he has caught some in summer ball. :thumb:

GREAT JOB TIGERS!!!!!!

I respectfully disagree with your understanding of the rule and I don't feel you understand that the term "umpires judgment" is key to this whole situation. In his (the umpire's) judgment, he didn't feel the runner was trying to bend or stretch the rule. Now I can't speak for the guy in black working the game but I can speak from years of experience in either coaching and/or enforcing the rules and I felt he was correct in his call. The call was made in a matter of seconds while we have been able to study a well taken photograph over and over for hours.

Might I agree with BD77 above, what a game. A well pitched duel....

Where is the judgment here? The rule says "direct line" to the base? Even at full speed/real time it was obvious the runner slid to the right going after the defender. Where is the judgment?

We agree completely on the pitching performance of both Nute and Nathan.

In addition to Snyders play this season and last night I would like to add great job by Larimore. I am not sure he has been behind the plate all year. I know he has caught some in summer ball. :thumb:

GREAT JOB TIGERS!!!!!!

Tough position for the kid to be in. Unfortunately CCH never challenged him as they should have IMO.

Did the turf play better in this game with it being drier?

I didn't notice any difference between last night and the first 2. Players still had trouble adjusting to the sliding (ie slid too far).

I think what Clyde is saying, it wasn't a judgment call! My guess is the umpire doesn't understand the rule and it's intent. Sure you can do it in the MLB's and in College but not in the High School game and this was a HS game. BTW the play didn't matter nor did it have any bearing on the game, I just don't want to see kids get hurt.

The same goes for the play on Tuesday, the umpire didn't make the correct call when the catcher blocked the plate without the ball! Rules are put in for a reason, and it's not the job of the men in blue to enforce some but not others.

I will have to agree with someone else (not sure who it was) but he said the the umpire was squeezing the plate. I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I don't can (as I have posted on hear many, many times) where the strike zone is for the umpire, but if it's a strike in the first inning, then it needs to be a strike in the seventh. Having a strike zone change isn't just not fair to the pitcher but to the batter as well.

Where is the judgment here? The rule says "direct line" to the base? Even at full speed/real time it was obvious the runner slid to the right going after the defender. Where is the judgment?

We agree completely on the pitching performance of both Nute and Nathan.

How wide is the line? Part of his body is still between the width of the bag, so he is in direct line the way I see it. Seems pretty simple.

How wide is the line? Part of his body is still between the width of the bag, so he is in direct line the way I see it. Seems pretty simple.

Do you understand the intent of the High School Rule? Do you think that the player was trying to knock down the infielder or hinder his throw? While both are fine in the College or MLB's it not what the rule is in HS.

It wasn't a dirty play, it wasn't a cheap play, it just isn't whats allowed in the High School game.

I think what Clyde is saying, it wasn't a judgment call! My guess is the umpire doesn't understand the rule and it's intent. Sure you can do it in the MLB's and in College but not in the High School game and this was a HS game. BTW the play didn't matter nor did it have any bearing on the game, I just don't want to see kids get hurt.

The same goes for the play on Tuesday, the umpire didn't make the correct call when the catcher blocked the plate without the ball! Rules are put in for a reason, and it's not the job of the men in blue to enforce some but not others.

I will have to agree with someone else (not sure who it was) but he said the the umpire was squeezing the plate. I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I don't can (as I have posted on hear many, many times) where the strike zone is for the umpire, but if it's a strike in the first inning, then it needs to be a strike in the seventh. Having a strike zone change isn't just not fair to the pitcher but to the batter as well.

We can go back and forth for days about this call but the fact of the matter is that, as the TOG stated, the play didn't affect the outcome of this game.

Beechwood won in a hard fought battle to upset the favorite CCH. Thats it.