Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK vs. Duke

Featured Replies

That game was played in the old Checkerdome in St. Louis. It wasn't really built for basketball. It was a hockey arena where the St. Louis Blues played. I've been in it quite a few times before it was torn down. It wasn't as big as the picture make the stands look.

 

It only held about 18,000.

 

One of the funny side notes is that the roof leaked and ruined the Checkerdome's basketball floor. So they imported the IU floor from Bloomington.

 

I remember Joe Hall saying, "Who would have thought we would win the National Championship on Indiana's home floor?" :lol:

  • Replies 66
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That game was played in the old Checkerdome in St. Louis. It wasn't really built for basketball. It was a hockey arena where the St. Louis Blues played. I've been in it quite a few times before it was torn down. It wasn't as big as the picture make the stands look.

 

I was in the seventh grade that year living in Bowling Green Ky...That team was only beaten twice that year...LSU...Alabama...I think?The difference Today and yesterday...Today all games would be on TV...Yesterday I don't remember watching many...Thank God for Cawood...:thumb:

It only held about 18,000.

 

One of the funny side notes is that the roof leaked and ruined the Checkerdome's basketball floor. So they imported the IU floor from Bloomington.

 

I remember Joe Hall saying, "Who would have thought we would win the National Championship on Indiana's home floor?" :lol:

18,000 packed in like sardines. It was already a very old building by the time this game was played.

Laettner got a technical foul for the stomp, and that's all that should've been done.

I think I also recall Coach K also immediately pulled him out of the game to tell him how stupid it was, which Christian acknowledged that yes, it was stupid.

 

Laettner could have been thrown out, and the call probably wouldn't have been looked at as all that unjust by impartial fans. But likewise, that only a single technical was assessed is probably not looked at as unjust by those same fans.

It's been 17 years, two national titles and four Final Fours ago. If you're still using that as your reason to hate Duke (and really, what other real intense reasons can you think of?), it's really time to move on. As has been said up the line here, the two teams are even via the '98 UK victory. So the media focuses more on the '92 game, who cares? You know the scoreboard is even.

It's hard to believe that game was 17 years ago ...

It's hard to believe that game was 17 years ago ...

It sure is.

I hope, MAN I HOPE, this rivalry is renewed at some point.........:madman:

I hope, MAN I HOPE, this rivalry is renewed at some point.........:madman:

 

You really don't :sssh:

You really don't :sssh:

 

Yes, I do.

 

Cal can't beat Bruce Pearl, why should I even be worried about the "snake oil salesman". Fact is, I'm not the least bit worried about Cal and UK. Fact is, even if UK gets the All World team they are "entitled" to have next year, in the long term, Coach K would run circles around Cal just like every coach who is a "good" coach has done in the last 14 years of Calipari's career.

 

 

Bring it on is what I say:taz:

Thanks. I like it too!!!!

 

:lol:

I got all the way down to the bottom and forgot what we was talking about because I kept looking at your avatar.:popcorn: Then I looked over at mine.:D

College Basketball--UK wins!

 

Not hard to call a winner considering both bodies of work.

I hope, MAN I HOPE, this rivalry is renewed at some point.........:madman:

 

Count me in. I will take Coach Cal's Cats over anyone, especially when he gets a roster full of his players. He was the man, I wanted to be the coach from the day Tubby stepped down, and he has the POTENTIAL to be every bit the equal to Pitino. Granted Pitino took over under worse circumstances, but with the media and everything, Cal CAN be huge at UK. Duke is Duke and will always be good though. It would be a great rivalry, and if it were a yearly thing I could see it being every bit as big as the U of L game (or bigger) in a lot of UK fans eyes. Personally, I don't have anything against Duke. The 92 shot by Leatner was one shot. ONE Shot! It would have been nice if he missed, but I think the UK program is more than one game or one season.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.