April 4, 200917 yr Since this topic usually gets other threads closed... I thought I'd give it it's own home. Duke fans love to bring up the "shot" in '92 as their bragging point to UK fans. And it gets to UK fans... I'm not exactly sure why since UK excorcised that loss in '98. Plus, UK has had very good success against Duke in the tournament. They've even met in the championship game once and UK beat them. Seems Duke doesn't have a very good record against Kentucky teams in the championship since Louisville beat them as well. So why let one shot get to you? Why give Duke fans the satisfaction?
April 4, 200917 yr Since this topic usually gets other threads closed... I thought I'd give it it's own home. Duke fans love to bring up the "shot" in '92 as their bragging point to UK fans. And it gets to UK fans... I'm not exactly sure why since UK excorcised that loss in '98. Plus, UK has had very good success against Duke in the tournament. They've even met in the championship game once and UK beat them. Seems Duke doesn't have a very good record against Kentucky teams in the championship since Louisville beat them as well. So why let one shot get to you? Why give Duke fans the satisfaction? I think your barking up the wrong tree brother :lol:.
April 4, 200917 yr Since this topic usually gets other threads closed... I thought I'd give it it's own home. Duke fans love to bring up the "shot" in '92 as their bragging point to UK fans. And it gets to UK fans... I'm not exactly sure why since UK excorcised that loss in '98. Plus, UK has had very good success against Duke in the tournament. They've even met in the championship game once and UK beat them. Seems Duke doesn't have a very good record against Kentucky teams in the championship since Louisville beat them as well. So why let one shot get to you? Why give Duke fans the satisfaction? I don't know if it is just satisfaction. I think that game was so important because that year started the turn around in Kentucky basketball after the shame of the late 80s and this is where Kentucky was finally, once again, getting back to national presence and Wildcat fans may have felt that game was destiny for Kentucky and destiny should have prevailed. It didn't. And that is why Kentucky fans are so upset with the game, in my opinion.
April 4, 200917 yr Author I think your barking up the wrong tree brother :lol:. I don't think so. All the UK/Duke talk in the John Wall thread led to it's closing. Might as well have it's own thread.
April 4, 200917 yr I like to remember the 1978 National Championship Game. Probably too long ago for most of you young whippersnappers on here. :lol: Kentucky 94 Duke 88 I hope you like my avatar. I might be old, but I'm not dead.
April 4, 200917 yr Author I like to remember the 1978 National Championship Game. Probably too long ago for most of you young whippersnappers on here. :lol: Kentucky 94 Duke 88 I hope you like my avatar. I might be old, but I'm not dead. :lol::lol: :thumb:
April 4, 200917 yr I still get angry over the Laetner shot. I was 11 years old, and had just moved to KY with my dad and his KY native wife. That season was the first time I ever watched college basketball and got my first true taste of what UK basketball fanatics were all about. I remember a lot of relatives over at the house for that game and the house just going crazy, then the look of agony and disapointment when Laetner hit that shot. Stupid Christian Laetner...:lol:
April 4, 200917 yr The 92 game devestated me, but the 98 game erased everything. I really don't give a crap about the shot anymore, but the media seems to forget about 98.
April 4, 200917 yr My best friend at the time, a UK fan was supposed to come pick me up that night so we could go hang out like all teenagers do. I was a senior at the time. He hadn't left the house yet because he wanted to see the end of the game. I called him right after overtime started and we ended up staying on the phone throughout the overtime, talking smack to one another. When Woods hit the shot for UK to take the lead, he screamed in my ear, making all kinds of noise, probably jumping up and down, whatever. All through the timeout, he's just letting me have it. When the play was ran and I saw Laettner catch it, turn and shoot, the silence was deafening as you could feel the entire country watching the screen with their mouths wide open wondering if that shot was going in.........when it finally swished through I screamed, jumped up and down, etc, etc. Before all of my jubilant celebration kicked into high gear, I distinctly remembering hearing the click of my best friend hanging up on me. Needless to say, I stayed home that night because he never showed up to pick me up. I'll always remember that even when I went to school THAT MONDAY at the great Bowling Green High School, people were still shell shocked from the loss. It's a wonder no one smacked the smile off of my face. The fact that I am a Duke fan that lives in Kentucky makes this rivalry a huge one for me. It's nowhere near UNC-Duke, but it's really close and it means more to me than Duke-Maryland. This game in 1992 has made the match up of these two programs special forever. The 98 game while it receives less fan fare but it was probably one of the greatest wins in UK history. Where would UK fans rank this game in UK history, just out of curiosity? For the record, Duke won the last meeting 95-92(OT) in 2001 when Jay Williams had 38 points while shooting 7-10 from the 3 point line. In case anyone was wondering.
April 4, 200917 yr Author I don't know why people still talk about this. I don't know why neither since this happend: I see the Laetner shot as revenge for what this guy did to Duke: And just for stats, UK leads the series 11-8.
April 4, 200917 yr The 1998 game may well have been the best game of 1998. The 1992 game was arguably the best college game ever. That's why the media forgets about the 1998 game. Laettner was 10-10 from the field and 10-10 from the free throw line. It doesn't get any better than that. Remember Thomas Hill's face of disbelief when it was over? Yeah, me too.
April 4, 200917 yr My best friend at the time, a UK fan was supposed to come pick me up that night so we could go hang out like all teenagers do. I was a senior at the time. He hadn't left the house yet because he wanted to see the end of the game. I called him right after overtime started and we ended up staying on the phone throughout the overtime, talking smack to one another. When Woods hit the shot for UK to take the lead, he screamed in my ear, making all kinds of noise, probably jumping up and down, whatever. All through the timeout, he's just letting me have it. When the play was ran and I saw Laettner catch it, turn and shoot, the silence was deafening as you could feel the entire country watching the screen with their mouths wide open wondering if that shot was going in.........when it finally swished through I screamed, jumped up and down, etc, etc. Before all of my jubilant celebration kicked into high gear, I distinctly remembering hearing the click of my best friend hanging up on me. Needless to say, I stayed home that night because he never showed up to pick me up. I'll always remember that even when I went to school THAT MONDAY at the great Bowling Green High School, people were still shell shocked from the loss. It's a wonder no one smacked the smile off of my face. The fact that I am a Duke fan that lives in Kentucky makes this rivalry a huge one for me. It's nowhere near UNC-Duke, but it's really close and it means more to me than Duke-Maryland. This game in 1992 has made the match up of these two programs special forever. The 98 game while it receives less fan fare but it was probably one of the greatest wins in UK history. Where would UK fans rank this game in UK history, just out of curiosity? For the record, Duke won the last meeting 95-92(OT) in 2001 when Jay Williams had 38 points while shooting 7-10 from the 3 point line. In case anyone was wondering. Your story reminded me of a couple that are close friends of ours. She is KY native and UK fan. He is a Duke fan. When the "shot"went in he jumped off the couch, threw his fist in the air and just as his voice began to shout "YES" he caught a glimpse of his wife out of the corner of his eye. He just walked outside and let it all out there. :lol: He said it was a very cold Spring around his house.
April 4, 200917 yr Your story reminded me of a couple that are close friends of ours. She is KY native and UK fan. He is a Duke fan. When the "shot"went in he jumped off the couch, threw his fist in the air and just as his voice began to shout "YES" he caught a glimpse of his wife out of the corner of his eye. He just walked outside and let it all out there. :lol: He said it was a very cold Spring around his house. I bet it was. That's a great story.:lol:
April 4, 200917 yr I like to remember the 1978 National Championship Game. Probably too long ago for most of you young whippersnappers on here. :lol: Kentucky 94 Duke 88 I hope you like my avatar. I might be old, but I'm not dead. I actually pulled the video out and watched it the other day. I remember it very well. (High Schooler at the time) That was one of those games where the score ended up a lot closer than the game really was. There was a moment when UK was up by 13 or 15 with 3 minutes to go and some interesting calls and non calls kept it from balooning to 17. I think because no one on that UK team went on to fantastic NBA careers, and the Michigan State-ISU game was the next year, people forget how really tough and even dominant that UK team was that season. They could beat you in a slow down or in a race horse game. They were methodical and proved their toughness with their come from behind wins vs. Florida State and Michigan State in the tourney.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.