Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK vs. Duke

Featured Replies

What means and resources did he have at UMass? Memphis? Compared to UK, come on?

 

The reason it's easier to recruit at UK versus the other two stops is not because of the history, it's because of the conference and exposure. You know that Purple. Duke's ability is not just about Coach K, it's about the ACC, North Carolina and TV/media exposure. Tradition for either is probably pretty far down on the ladder.

 

As to Coach Cal's ability, his stretch at UMass sold me more than Memphis. UMass was nothing, nada; before his arrival. In '92 he had a nice team that was a bad technical from being in position to beating UK in the Sweet 16 and making the Elite Eight. In '95 he made the Elite Eight and faced '96 without one of the their leading scorers in Lou Roe who graduated but lost only 3 games. That '96 team had very little talent beyond Camby but they were TOUGH as nails.

 

As to your earlier declaration about Coach K, he's an all-time great and anyone who doesn't know it is kidding themselves. However, the analogies of "versus Pearl, Cal is . . ." and "Coach K can coach around . . ." is really of no value. We don't know what UK can or will do under Cal. It's fun to have conjecture but that's all it is. BTW, K's record vs. Roy Williams isn't too good right now either but I'd never say that shows how Roy is that much better than K.

 

 

I am so glad you came in on this one. You are always sensible.

 

Compared to UK, his means and resources are minimal. I think it is way too early to tell if that is going to pay off in the long term. He has had great recruits at Memphis and some are following him from Memphis to UK. I don't agree with the statement that his recruiting will get any better because he is at UK now. He was already great if not he best behind Roy Williams, and that is not going to change, IMO.

 

 

 

 

That is my whole point, we have no idea what UK is going to do under Cal,but when I say it Duke and its program gets attacked and then I have do go on the defensive. Like you said, it's fun to have the conjecture, but can we get some sensibility about it is all I ask.

 

 

I'm not saying Pearl is better than Cal, that's just a little nugget I like to throw out there when Cal starts getting hailed as the second coming of Adolph Rupp when his record at UK is 0-0.

 

Roy Williams is a better coach today than when he took over at UNC. It pains me to say that, but he has had our number since he took over. Hopefully that'll change soon.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you go from 1992 to 2001, a lot of things that went on in those "non championship years" is similar to what has gone on from 2001 to present. All I can say to you is that watch out in 2010. Study the history of Duke basketball and maybe, just maybe you will understand what I am trying to say.

 

And they are still tied with UNC for the most championships by any school since 1990 with 3.

 

The history of Duke basketball really contains two great periods.

 

Vic Bubas (1963 to 1966) saw a run of 3 out of 4 Final Four appearances.

 

Coach K (1986 to 2004). I ended it there because while the Devils may have some good teams in the near future, the aura those other teams had seems to be less evident IMHO. I think that era was as great as any this side of UCLA ('62 to '76).

 

What else you want me to say about them? :D

I am so glad you came in on this one. You are always sensible.

 

Compared to UK, his means and resources are minimal. I think it is way too early to tell if that is going to pay off in the long term. He has had great recruits at Memphis and some are following him from Memphis to UK. I don't agree with the statement that his recruiting will get any better because he is at UK now. He was already great if not he best behind Roy Williams, and that is not going to change, IMO.

 

 

 

 

That is my whole point, we have no idea what UK is going to do under Cal,but when I say it Duke and its program gets attacked and then I have do go on the defensive. Like you said, it's fun to have the conjecture, but can we get some sensibility about it is all I ask.

 

 

I'm not saying Pearl is better than Cal, that's just a little nugget I like to throw out there when Cal starts getting hailed as the second coming of Adolph Rupp when his record at UK is 0-0.

 

Roy Williams is a better coach today than when he took over at UNC. It pains me to say that, but he has had our number since he took over. Hopefully that'll change soon.

 

I have to live with the Dukies and Tar Holes down here so I get used to supporting them when they are right and holding up a BIG MIRROR when they are down. :D

 

Just don't let some UK fans get you down. The best coach ever at UK is always the one that has yet to coach his first game. :lol:

 

I don't think Roy's a better coach, I think he's the same. I just think his talent is better at UNC and that's because of that extra boost the UNC program and ACC exposure gives. I think that is what will boost Cal all the more at UK, particularly if that translates into wins and contention.

 

My hope for the Cats is to be a "playa." That's all I really want. Same for my Boyle County Rebels as well. If you are a contender long enough, it will come home to you. The watershed years for Pitino were really '91 and '92. ('91 UK drummed National Runner-up Kansas and should have beaten Final Four team UNC) Those seasons allowed UK fans to know they were in the "hunt." It took a building step each time to get there but once they broke through I still believe the experiences in '96 fueled the attitude and play of the '97 - '99 teams. Those teams seemed to draw on that. (much as Duke has in some years)

The history of Duke basketball really contains two great periods.

 

Vic Bubas (1963 to 1966) saw a run of 3 out of 4 Final Four appearances.

 

Coach K (1986 to 2004). I ended it there because while the Devils may have some good teams in the near future, the aura those other teams had seems to be less evident IMHO. I think that era was as great as any this side of UCLA ('62 to '76).

What else you want me to say about them? :D

 

 

 

I would argue, of course, that it should say to present because in 94-95 Duke didn't even make the NIT, lost in round 1 in 95-96, lost in round 2 in 96-97, choked away the Elite 8 game against the Cats in 98, and lost in the Sweet 16 the year after a runner up finish. Those results are similar to results from the last 5 years(with the exception of a runner up or Elite 8 appearance). The aura may not be as strong as once was, but we bounced back from mid 90's and we will bounce back from the mid 2000's as well.

I have to live with the Dukies and Tar Holes down here so I get used to supporting them when they are right and holding up a BIG MIRROR when they are down. :D

 

Just don't let some UK fans get you down. The best coach ever at UK is always the one that has yet to coach his first game. :lol:

 

I don't think Roy's a better coach, I think he's the same. I just think his talent is better at UNC and that's because of that extra boost the UNC program and ACC exposure gives. I think that is what will boost Cal all the more at UK, particularly if that translates into wins and contention.

 

My hope for the Cats is to be a "playa." That's all I really want. Same for my Boyle County Rebels as well. If you are a contender long enough, it will come home to you. The watershed years for Pitino were really '91 and '92. ('91 UK drummed National Runner-up Kansas and should have beaten Final Four team UNC) Those seasons allowed UK fans to know they were in the "hunt." It took a building step each time to get there but once they broke through I still believe the experiences in '96 fueled the attitude and play of the '97 - '99 teams. Those teams seemed to draw on that. (much as Duke has in some years)

 

 

 

I try not to but I always wish that even though I am not a UK fan, that I am at least sensible when discussing UK. I know I shouldn't expect the same thing in return, but I still aim for that when I try to discuss Duke basketball with UK fans. I know it usually falls upon deaf ears, but I try. We don't have to like each others schools, but I hate the same old "I hate Duke so I can never say anything good about them attitude" that seems to prevail everyday life in the state of Kentucky. Some of the most knowledgeable people in the world about college basketball are right here in this state or are from this state, and deep down, they know better than some of the things that are said on here. Don't they??????

Nope, people just act so funny on here when it comes to Duke basketball and no one ever seems to look at the big picture, they only look at last year, or the last 4 years when, IMO, that is not enough to go on.

 

UK fans and Duke fans are so different and UK fans seem to act like Duke fans should think like them and go into the sky is falling down" mode because we haven't been to the final four since 2003. Trust me, Duke fans are way more worried about what Roy is doing down the street, not the speculative recruits Cal may or may not bring in.

 

I can already see the thread that is labeled..."who is going to be the point guard" that has hundreds of posts if you guys don't land Wall or Bledsoe. I can hear the panic right now.

 

Duke isn't worried about you guys and regardless of your recruits, if a series was started up next year, I have every reason to believe after 10 years, Duke would have the advantage in that series after 10 years, just like UNC.

 

I ain't scared of you guys, and I never will be. I doubt the great Coach K is scared of you guys either.

 

I may be seen as defensive because a lot of times, some UK fans just don't get it.

 

I'm not sure where you got this stuff about us thinking you should be scared of UK? As you mentioned, Duke's biggest rival is the biggest player in the game right now. The sky certainly isn't falling at Duke, but there has been a very clear drop off since the beginning of the decade. Where is this scared stuff coming from? I think a series between UK and Duke would be very fun and competitive.

I'm not sure where you got this stuff about us thinking you should be scared of UK? As you mentioned, Duke's biggest rival is the biggest player in the game right now. The sky certainly isn't falling at Duke, but there has been a very clear drop off since the beginning of the decade. Where is this scared stuff coming from? I think a series between UK and Duke would be very fun and competitive.

 

That comes from Cal's declaration on the radio the other day when asked about a Duke-UK series, he said "yeah, they don't want to play us" and then the fans that jumped on that and said the same thing. It was mentioned in a post around here which is what got me back to this thread so other threads wouldn't get closed down because of Duke-UK discussions. Cal is the one who insinuated that Duke was scared and some UK fans jumped on it. It is a great fodder of discussion on Devil's Illustrated.

 

I agree with you. It would be great for college basketball to have an annual Duke-UK game.

 

As I told Hatz, Duke had a worse drop off from 94-97 and we bounced back fine from that. I have no reason to be worried or upset about not going to the final four in the last 5 years. We've been in worse situations.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.