Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie is OUT...

Featured Replies

Gone like a freight-train, gone like yesterday

Gone like a soldier in the civil war, bang bang

Gone like a '59 Cadillac

Like all the bad things he ain't never coming back

He's gone (gone) gone (gone) gone (gone) gone, he's gone.

 

:clap:

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

 

Don't think Eddie and Troy Lee want him to stay either.

  • Replies 373
  • Views 49.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is all of this about Porter leaving? Why would he leave?

  • Author
What is all of this about Porter leaving? Why would he leave?

 

Like the quotes say:

 

Is graduating academically this year (so they say).

Is married.

Has a baby on the way.

I would be more impressed with Michael Porter if he is mature enough to walk away and be a good husband and dad than I would ever be with him on the basketball court. His future is as a good Christian leader and family man, IMO. :thumb:

 

I hope you're right.

I respect your opinion and you may be right. I just will agree to disagree. I just get the feeling that he (Barnhart) may be part of a problem himself. I hope that you are right and I am wrong but I just don't get a good feeling of confidence with him.

Oh well, doesn't matter what I think though and that is probably a very good thing. :idunno::lol:.

 

I completely disagree. Under Barnhart UK has excelled in all other sports and our FOOTBALL program is now has an actual shot at going to bowl games year in and year out. I heard Barnhart speak at a Men's Ministry event at Russell Christian Church a couple of years ago and he was phenomenal. He is a man of faith, integrity, and he knows what he is doing. His track record everywhere else is impeccable and what he has done with the Athletics Program at the University is second-to-none.

 

If the article Dick Gabriel worte a couple of days ago is true- Tubby wasn't forced out he left on his accord because UK would not bend their nepotism policy and allow him to hire Saul as an assistant. You can read that here:

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/41745352.html

 

So to blame "Tubby leaving" on Barnhart is laughable as some have done in previous posts. Tubby's time had come. Simple as that. I think everyone involved thought Gillispie would work but it just didn't. That happens sometimes. But to hold Barnhart 100% responsible and call for his job is ridiculous. Sometimes the wrong people get hired. They seem great in the interview, their references are good, but once they get on the job they just don't fit in with the culture of the company and they end up either leaving or being let go. It happens. This one just happened under a microscope and in the public view.

 

The DUI should have been a flag, but I am sire Gillispie convinced Barnhart he had moved on that and Barnhart, being a good person, was willing to give him a second chance. I mean the guy has won everywhere he had went. It's not like BCG was some clown they found in Shoe Carnival.

 

I am sure whoever Barnhart and Todd hires they will focus more on a person who can fit in with the culture of the program. I agree it will be a heavyweight name, but also the type of man Barnhart is, I believe whoever it is will have a reputation of integrity and a stellar track of not just wins and losses on the court but someone who is positive influence in life as well.

What is all of this about Porter leaving? Why would he leave?

 

He graduated this year with his degree, the only reason really he would have to come back is to play his final year and work on his masters...

I agree 100%, I also think this situation is being handled poorly on UK's part. If he has been terminated then UK needs to make this public and they need to inform the media the reasons for this decision. If they don't then UK is going to get torn to shreds one brick at a time...

 

Just because a bunch of people on here say it is 'official' doesn't mean it is official. How many of them have been in those 'closed door meetings'? I am going to take a wild stab and say none.

 

Mitch and Lee have stated before that they do not discuss a coaches status during the season, and rightfully so. The season ended 16 hours ago and we are demanding that they tell us their decision because someone else said it is a 'done deal'?

 

Wasn't Donovan a 'done deal' 2 years ago?

 

When BCG or the university says it is a done deal (he is staying or he is going), then and only then is it 'official'.

If Porter wants to stay, I hope he does. I am not going to tell this young man to 'pack his bags'. Not my place. He appears to be a well grounded, Christian young man and a good person by all accounts. I am glad he has shown more class as a representative of the University of Kentucky than many of my fellow UK fans who bash him at every opportunity. I am not sure I could have handled the outside pressure and negative comments that many UK fans have put on this young man at that age as well as he has. If he wants to stay and finish what he started, so be it.

 

And as to the PG position, ... BCG brought in 2 this year, 1 JUCO and 1 Frosh and still made the choice to start Porter. 2 recruiting classes and Porter is still the starter.

:thumb:

 

By the time this is all said and done we may be happy to have Porter back next season. Porter was only on the floor because BCG put him there.

He worries me a little too, mostly with would he recruit and do things the right way. But he would be my #1 choice if I were UK.

The guys subbing on the Mike and Mike Show said Memphis may be getting a little nervous about this opening. They said UK was one of the top 5 programs in the nation (along with UNC, Duke, UCLA, and Kansas) and that those jobs don't come open very often.

I forgot to add that they also said that it was well known in basketball circles that Billy Clyde had been trying to find another job last summer, and that he checked into the one at Oklahoma State. I hadn't heard that before.

He graduated this year with his degree, the only reason really he would have to come back is to play his final year and work on his masters...

 

I hope he does. How often do you get the opportunity to play at UK and get your masters (or at least a good chunk of it) paid for? I say if he wants to stay, ... so be it!!!

I forgot to add that they also said that it was well known in basketball circles that Billy Clyde had been trying to find another job last summer, and that he checked into the one at Oklahoma State. I hadn't heard that before.

 

I think this contract issue may have been festering since he arrived in Lexington.

I hope he does. How often do you get the opportunity to play at UK and get your masters (or at least a good chunk of it) paid for? I say if he wants to stay, ... so be it!!!

 

I hope he stays too, I hope on senior night when he walks on that court and they sing My Old Kentucky Home he gets a standing ovation that he deserves. The kid has been scrutinized and cussed and everything else in the book but he still wears that uniform with pride, to me that speaks volumes about his character to take that and keep on swinging.

I hope he stays too, I hope on senior night when he walks on that court and they sing My Old Kentucky Home he gets a standing ovation that he deserves. The kid has been scrutinized and cussed and everything else in the book but he still wears that uniform with pride, to me that speaks volumes about his character to take that and keep on swinging.

 

I second this. He's one of my favorite players for UK, I just think he is utilized wrongfully. If he is a player that comes in and plays 10 minutes a game or so, he would be a fan favorite, no doubt

I hope he stays too, I hope on senior night when he walks on that court and they sing My Old Kentucky Home he gets a standing ovation that he deserves. The kid has been scrutinized and cussed and everything else in the book but he still wears that uniform with pride, to me that speaks volumes about his character to take that and keep on swinging.

 

I totally agree...just because he isn't the most skilled player in college basketball doesn't mean he was a waste of a scholarship IMO. He has worn his jersey with pride and for all that we have seen really loves the UK program and works hard. What more can you ask for? Now granted, he really doesn't probably deserve to be a starter on the team, but isn't that all fans really ask for is someone who gives it their all and busts their butt night in and night out and is a good role model in the program? Heck, we have a coach on his way out for lack of those reasons it seems like. :ylsuper: I hope Porter returns as well, although like I mentioned before, not real talented, but will be a leader on the team next year!

He graduated this year with his degree, the only reason really he would have to come back is to play his final year and work on his masters...

 

Why wouldn't he come back and play? It would be free...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.