Boone County vs Highlands

He really struggled against Dill and Watson in the first meeting...that's what I'm basing my opinion on. Highlands used a zone in the second half of the first meeting to shut him down...FWIW.

I'm talking about his ability to break down a zone when he catches the ball anywhere near the lane. He always finds the open man.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about his ability to break down a zone when he catches the ball anywhere near the lane. He always finds the open man.

Fair enough.

I don't see Boone shooting the ball well enough from outside to beat the Birds though.

Fair enough.

I don't see Boone shooting the ball well enough from outside to beat the Birds though.

Agreed on the outside shooting which is why they must not let McFarland get the ball in the paint and then find Cotton/Earls inside for easy buckets.

Grubbs will not have the success he had against St Henry. He was not challenged at all against a small St Henry team (despite their best efforts). Boone can bring two big thick kids in against him and bring a 3rd (Brown) if they need to.

Add in Boone's strong perimeter defense and I just don't think Grubbs is going to be a factor.

Both Gabbard and Popp shot the 3 ball much better last year and are very capable shooters if they are in their comfort zone. I notice a lot of hesitancy from Boone's players overall to look for/take open 3 point shots this year. I do believe they seemed to live and die by the three last year with Krohman.

Popp hasn't been playing much for Boone the last 8-10 games, so he will probably not be a factor. Gabbard is the only one in Boone's starting lineup that is capable of doing a lot of damage from 3 IMO.

Without making at least 2 or 3 3 point shots to keep Highlands honest, Boone will have to rely heavily on their post players for scoring and rebounding.

Without making at least 2 or 3 3 point shots to keep Highlands honest, Boone will have to rely heavily on their post players for scoring and rebounding.

I disagree somewhat. The strength of Boone is on the defensive side of the ball. I'd assume their opponents do not shoot a high % against them. So between steals and rebounds which will both lead to breaks they do not have to rely solely on the halfcourt set to score.

I disagree somewhat. The strength of Boone is on the defensive side of the ball. I'd assume their opponents do not shoot a high % against them. So between steals and rebounds which will both lead to breaks they do not have to rely solely on the halfcourt set to score.

I see your point, and Boone does play very good defense, but if you aren't able to benefit from the steals and rebounds on the scoring end and get some easy baskets, it can spell trouble if you aren't hitting outside shots.

Boone has an effective press and presses some, but I think they could do well to press more, especially with the depth they have at the guard position.

I

Boone has an effective press and presses some, but I think they could do well to press more, especially with the depth they have at the guard position.

...as well as HHS not being deep at the guard position.

...as well as HHS not being deep at the guard position.

Boone has good depth with Gabbard, Popp, Spaulding, and Schulze at the guard position. They have been playing a half court game more often and sticking with their big guys more. I believe 3 of the top 10 steals leaders in NKY are from Boone. I don't think Boone wants to let Highlands get set up in their half court offense and be comfortable and give them time to look for back door cuts and open jump shots with extra passes like in the first meeting. That said, Earls and all of Boone's bigs will have to get back on defense to prevent Kowolonek from getting runouts because he will do that. A low scoring game is more in Highlands favor IMO.

Boone by 12 if Earls/McFarland/Cotton/Lay get it done down low and rebound well. Otherwise could be an upset again.

Boone 59 Highlands 47 IF Boone's bigs fare better this time. I know that might be a big if. If Highlands wins the inside battle, I'll say Highlands 56 Boone 50.