Is it Time?

Should schools start to cut sports  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should schools start to cut sports

• yes
    • no

But didn't we cut music and art:confused:

Actually, I'm a big advocate for music and art education too. I didn't say I had all the answers for the current budgetary contstraints, but I can assure you that cutting critical classes (art and music included) and extracurriculars isn't one of them.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By basics are you talking about studying to pass test that gets you money or doing portfolios. or do you mean actually teaching Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic?

What are you talking about ? I dare say no one would ever teach the test that gets you more money or makes your school look superior to others. I can't believe you would even suggest such a thing. By portfolios your talking about that paper that some of the kids take home to get their parents to help them with so they can get a distinguished . NO FREAKING WAY ! Don't waste your time teaching fundamentals either, they have a cash register at Mickey D's that tells the kids how much change to give back ! They also have a picture of the meal with a # beside it so you don't have to read the menu !

What a big (lie) monster we have allowed them to create , and even worse, we are going to continue that big lie because when you point out the problem in todays society you become the problem.Wooh, I need to get off my horse :taz:

I believe that schools waste to much money on things that do teach kids the real basics of education. In Oldham County, the schools don't pay for kids to play. They pay for Facilities and Coaches. The parents foot quite a bill to keep it going.

Where do locker fees go? There are fees on top of fees used to fund something.

Why is a kid learning spanish or music any different than a kid learning a sport. An athlete has just as much a chance to earn a college scholarship or make a career from what they love as a music kid does making it to the top of the charts. It should not take a lot of money to teach kids how to read and write, spell and do math. The books used 20 years ago should not be any different. I don't think those things change to much.

It is my understanding that we put a new school in front of an old one and then cannot move all of the old tv's cabinets, refridgerators and such into the new one. We need new stuff to go in the new building.

Schools are government agencies. $500 hammers and all.

As long as we score high on the KATS test, it does not matter if they really know the basics.

They pay for those things, lets just talk about football alone. Coaches, let's say the head man makes 6,000 to 10,000 a year, an assistant makes 1,000-4,000 times that by two (school can not afford more), middle school coach 1,000-3,000. There is 21,000 dollars on the high end, spent on a sport. Now let us combine that with girls basketball, 10,000 (because of title nine, two other coaches (4,000) and a middle school coach (3,000) again 21,000, 42,000 ( a teacher's position) so far, now let us add a boys basketball (63,000 all together, Baseball and Softball equals a grand total high end $75,000. We have not talked about what it takes to maintain or get new facilities nor have we talked about how much gas it takes on a bus and a driver to get somewhere...

I just think that is alot of money. Conservatives would agree, I would hope.

Now people have said why waste money on a system that is broken. I never was talking about educational reform, but let us say that the reform could take place, would you use that money then.

Finally, as for the notion that people will become professional athletes well my only response is:ohbrother:

You teach music and art not to make a career out of it, but to enhance thinking skills not saying any other sport doesn't but I would bet on the fact that music students and art students have a better GPA ( again a guess, or an opinion)

Actually, I'm a big advocate for music and art education too. I didn't say I had all the answers for the current budgetary contstraints, but I can assure you that cutting critical classes (art and music included) and extracurriculars isn't one of them.

I agree raise taxes or make these choices... and I am curious to see where people stand on this issue, free choice at its best.

What are you talking about ? I dare say no one would ever teach the test that gets you more money or makes your school look superior to others. I can't believe you would even suggest such a thing. By portfolios your talking about that paper that some of the kids take home to get their parents to help them with so they can get a distinguished . NO FREAKING WAY ! Don't waste your time teaching fundamentals either, they have a cash register at Mickey D's that tells the kids how much change to give back ! They also have a picture of the meal with a # beside it so you don't have to read the menu !

What a big (lie) monster we have allowed them to create , and even worse, we are going to continue that big lie because when you point out the problem in todays society you become the problem.Wooh, I need to get off my horse :taz:

You forgot the most important - SPELL CHECK on their computers. This eliminates the need to spell.

I am sorry, I apologize as I do not know what I was thinking.

They pay for those things, lets just talk about football alone. Coaches, let's say the head man makes 6,000 to 10,000 a year, an assistant makes 1,000-4,000 times that by two (school can not afford more), middle school coach 1,000-3,000. There is 21,000 dollars on the high end, spent on a sport. Now let us combine that with girls basketball, 10,000 (because of title nine, two other coaches (4,000) and a middle school coach (3,000) again 21,000, 42,000 ( a teacher's position) so far, now let us add a boys basketball (63,000 all together, Baseball and Softball equals a grand total high end $75,000. We have not talked about what it takes to maintain or get new facilities nor have we talked about how much gas it takes on a bus and a driver to get somewhere...

I just think that is alot of money. Conservatives would agree, I would hope.

Now people have said why waste money on a system that is broken. I never was talking about educational reform, but let us say that the reform could take place, would you use that money then.

Finally, as for the notion that people will become professional athletes well my only response is:ohbrother:

You teach music and art not to make a career out of it, but to enhance thinking skills not saying any other sport doesn't but I would bet on the fact that music students and art students have a better GPA ( again a guess, or an opinion)

So no student athlete has an oportunity to live out their career as a professional or earn a college schalorship? My only response is look around the Louisville area the last 10 years and tell me if any atletes had those opportunities.

So how much thinking does it take to play Country Music on a guitar, bang out some heavy metal tunes on the Drums. Am I to believe that no Musician that picks up an instrument has dreams of making a successful career with the Philharmonic or a Rock n Roll band? No member of Art class has ever dreamed of having their work on display and for sale in a gallery somewhere? I never said that Music and Art and those endeavors were not valuable. I only make the point that we are all to quick to shut down athletics when that is the only reason that some kids even try in school. I am not a holier than thou parent that believes that I have done everything right. My kids can be worthless pains. They all play sports and they all can play an instrument. Two of them either dream of being professional athletes or musicians.

But hey, times are tough, lets take away athletics. We do everything we can to make their lives harder, lets just rip their hearts out.

Wow I just finished listen to Kid Rock - he picked up some upper intellectual stuff in his music classes inhigh school.:sssh:

Oh yeah....

Music and Srt students would NEVER have sex, smoke dope, or consume alcohol. They would never smoke a cigarette. They are not teenage students, they are super students with no faults, no temptations, willing to resist peer pressure with a single "NO".

I have got to get my kids out of sports, bunch of godless retches!

All I can say there is :ohbrother:

[/b]

So no student athlete has an oportunity to live out their career as a professional or earn a college schalorship? My only response is look around the Louisville area the last 10 years and tell me if any atletes had those opportunities.

So how much thinking does it take to play Country Music on a guitar, bang out some heavy metal tunes on the Drums. Am I to believe that no Musician that picks up an instrument has dreams of making a successful career with the Philharmonic or a Rock n Roll band? No member of Art class has ever dreamed of having their work on display and for sale in a gallery somewhere? I never said that Music and Art and those endeavors were not valuable. I only make the point that we are all to quick to shut down athletics when that is the only reason that some kids even try in school. I am not a holier than thou parent that believes that I have done everything right. My kids can be worthless pains. They all play sports and they all can play an instrument. Two of them either dream of being professional athletes or musicians.

But hey, times are tough, lets take away athletics. We do everything we can to make their lives harder, lets just rip their hearts out.

Wow I just finished listen to Kid Rock - he picked up some upper intellectual stuff in his music classes inhigh school.:sssh:

Part one of highlighted: Which one is more likely earning a scholarship for college academics or sports?

Part two of the highlighted: I would suggest that some kids should not be in school, trade/vocational school might be a better place for those students, school is for academics, its purpose for its creation, I am sorry if I came across offensive.

Part three of the highlighted: Times are hard, ask the state that wishes to cut programs, I think it would only be fair to also ask schools to cut programs as well. If I must pick between athletics and academics I will pick academics everytime, but that is my opinion.

I hope it doesn't come down to cutting sports but I'm not sure what eventual choices may be necessary. The stats for scholarships are not really good though. About 3% of high school athletes go to college on one. Only 1% go on from there to play professional sports. So other than work ethics, team concepts , and making some life long friends and memories , I'm not sure what the real benefits are. If we want to continue programs we'll have to pay the taxes to keep them.

I hope it doesn't come down to cutting sports but I'm not sure what eventual choices may be necessary. The stats for scholarships are not really good though. About 3% of high school athletes go to college on one. Only 1% go on from there to play professional sports. So other than work ethics, team concepts , and making some life long friends and memories , I'm not sure what the real benefits are. If we want to continue programs we'll have to pay the taxes to keep them.

Me either:thumb:

I just wanted to point out that I never said to cut P.E.!

The reason I started this thread is to see if people thought long and hard about how we use money is school. Sports seems to never get talked about in that reguard, so I am curious if the BGPers thought maybe money is wasted in reguards to education.

Since this a site first and foremost for high school sports enthusiasts I'm not sure if you're going to get an accurate result.

Since this a site first and foremost for high school sports enthusiasts I'm not sure if you're going to get an accurate result.

That is why I posted the thread in here the P/R! I know alot of people in here say they are conservative or liberal, which means they like spending money or don't on social programs, so I thought I would strike at the heart and find out where people really stand...

kinda of put your money where your mouth is sort of thing,

Do you mean middle/high/college?

Bama Football brought in over $40 million last year alone.

The answer is no. Never will happen. Kids need this and so do parents like me. :banana:

Middle and High School

I have no idea about Alabama and their budget concerns, but Kentucky is in way over their head. So an idea of cutting back would be to get rid of sports and let local communities hold teams.

By basics are you talking about studying to pass test that gets you money or doing portfolios. or do you mean actually teaching Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic?

I believe that schools waste to much money on things that do teach kids the real basics of education. In Oldham County, the schools don't pay for kids to play. They pay for Facilities and Coaches. The parents foot quite a bill to keep it going.

Where do locker fees go? There are fees on top of fees used to fund something.

Why is a kid learning spanish or music any different than a kid learning a sport. An athlete has just as much a chance to earn a college scholarship or make a career from what they love as a music kid does making it to the top of the charts. It should not take a lot of money to teach kids how to read and write, spell and do math. The books used 20 years ago should not be any different. I don't think those things change to much.

It is my understanding that we put a new school in front of an old one and then cannot move all of the old tv's cabinets, refridgerators and such into the new one. We need new stuff to go in the new building.

Schools are government agencies. $500 hammers and all.

As long as we score high on the KATS test, it does not matter if they really know the basics.

You have a very innaccurate vision of what happens in many school systems.