Dirty play

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 25 plus years of being around basketball at the high school or college level did I ever think that a player was "coached" to be dirty and try to hurt another player. I have thrown out players that was dirty, but never threw one out because I thought a coach told him to do it.

I feel the most flagrant of dirty plays is the use of the elbow by a player clearing space to dribble. Many times this happens and you get different calls from the officials, offensive foul would be my guess, especially since the contact was made by the player with the ball to get an advantage. This is the one play that a player should be ejected from the game. Usually this doesn't seem accidental.

I don't think anyone, would condone or teach a player to hurt another.

"Sweep the leg".

Oh yeah, that was a movie. I also cannot imagine that deliberately trying to injure another player is coached.

Taking advantage of a player that is hurting? Such as repeatedly driving past someone with a gimpy leg? Sure, but that's totally different.

From what I have been told, coaches have taught grabbing and holding onto jerseys, stepping on feet to prevent them from rebounding and other such things.

Maybe it's just me, but I have seen more jersey pulling in just over half a season this year than in the last 2 or 3 years in total.

I agree that blatant dirty play (basically any action intended to intentionally hurt the other team) has no place in high school ball. But I think that some people confuse dirty play with hard, physical play. I have no problem if a coach teaches his players to block out hard, body check hard across the lane, or set a hard back pick. Basketball is a contact sport and, done correctly, these are just good fundamental basketball.

Do you think "dirty players" are coached to play that way, or it's just in their nature? By dirty I mean deliberately trying to hurt someone already injured.

By your question, I am guessing you feel that an opposing player was intentionally trying to hurt someone on your team? What would make you think that?